Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Moaning/Groaning sound Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 03:50 AM
retromax
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moaning/Groaning sound Help!

Hi all, First post here although i've browsed the forum as a guest since getting my first Mini about 5 years ago, i've searched about the issue I have but to no avail so I thought i'd try and pick your brains!

I have a 2005 Cooper S and i'm getting a moaning/groaning sound constantley when the engine is running , someone I spoke to told me it was probably the dreaded PS fan under the car.... so I booked the car in to my local dealer expecting it needing a fan. The guy asked me to start the car and said..."Yeah the definatley the fan" straight away so off I went to get the job priced up..... to my amazement it was gonna cost nearly £800!!! (yeah £'s I'm in the UK) as he said the fan was staying on and it was caused by the Powered steering pump and both needed replacing!!... so I didn't have the cash to get it done so had to return home .
Anyway so I was on the understanding that his quick assesment (by just listening!!!) meant my PS fan was staying on constantley and causing the sound.... however... today I decided to remove the fan (2 bolts and 1 connector...easy job) to see if I still had the problem and guess what???.... still got the moaning/groaning sound!!! so the technician was wrong!!!!.
My steering works fine BTW has the usual Mini steering sound so no problems there and the sound appears to be comming from the back lower part of the engine near the powered steering pump but I don't think it's actually coming from that, is there anything else down there that's constantley running??, maybe something on the aircon? (not sure if any part of the aircon is actually down there as i'm no mechanic) the aicon works fine BTW.....
I'm just thinking that if i'd paid out the £800 for the job doing it may not have been the issue!!!

Any idea's?

Old 02-09-2011, 04:18 AM
retromax
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I figured the best way to describe the sound was to record it so I popped my phone under the front of the car and made a quick video.
The sound you here is the car starting.... the moaning sound and then you will here whatever causes the moaning sound wind down as I stop the engine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwCfkm9oyns