Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Question about cold start engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011 | 08:09 AM
R56calc
|
1st Gear
Question about cold start engine noise

Hi folks, Most of you sound like you have a great deal more experience than I, about Minis in general and I am perplexed by a question about the "cold-start engine noise" issue. I have heard the U-Tube videos, I have read many of your posts, I believe I understand the symptoms. What I don't understand is whether this is a phenomenon exclusive to the turbocharged "S" model or if
it also affects base "justa" models - They both have the 1.6 L engine. I too have cold-start noises (dieseling) after the water temp reaches 140'F or better, and was hoping one or more could shed some light / insight. Thanks

Old 02-09-2011 | 08:25 AM
Mini2na
6th Gear
I'm not an expert but here is my opinion on your questions: (see the Gen 2 Stock Problems thread Sticky on Cold Start)

"Cold Start" issue exists within the "S" only.
"Cold Start" shows up before the engine has warmed up. It seems to be reported when it is cold outside also, but happens in the summer also.

I'd say "Cold Start" is not your issue. If it is under warranty, take it in!

Last edited by Mini2na; 02-09-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-09-2011 | 09:37 AM
R56calc
|
1st Gear
Thanx

Thanks Mini2na,
In my post I inadvertently omitted "until". It should've been placed just after (dieseling) and before "after" : ... (dieseling) until after the water temp...

But thanks for the reply, there seems to be an assumption in the posts that
we're always talking about MCSs', whenever the discussion references the
engine. I just wanted clarification, and appreciate your time / answer.

Old 02-10-2011 | 04:50 AM
purpletree
1st Gear
I took my MCS to the dealer. They are aware of this problem... cold start rattle. I believe it has something to do with the timing belt tensioner... they fixed it.

Old 04-08-2011 | 11:14 AM
MNMLST
3rd Gear
I have a 2011 MCS. I've heard some sort of rattle from the engine before. The Mini engine is sort of rattly anyway, right?

How distinct is the "death rattle" from the normal rattliness of the Mini engine?

Old 04-08-2011 | 02:53 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
There is a well-populated sticky and several sizable threads on the so called "death rattle" in this forum -- suggest you read them from start to finish and I think you'll find answers to your questions. But in sum:

The "death rattle" is an R56 issue associated with the N14 (MCS, model years '07 - '10 and MCS JCW thru '11) turbo engine. As of yet there are no verified cases that have been reported in the online forums for the N18 (MCS, '11) engine. Reported N18 engine rattles have been attributed to "normal" noisiness of the fuel injection system and the operation of the waste gate (the latter documented in a TSB). Plus, '11 owners are keenly sensitive to any extra noise with the N14 history and the hope that the new Valvetronic system has mitigated the issue (and dread that it has not).

If you have the "death rattle," there will be no mistaking the noise. It sounds like a chain being dragged across a metal trash can lid. Loud. Intrusive. Embarrassing. Worse than a poorly tuned diesel. Quite distinctively different than the normal "tappiness" of the engine.

The other thing we now know is that the "death rattle," if left to its own devices and not fixed, will eventually kill your MINI.

Old 04-08-2011 | 04:44 PM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
The noise really is embarrassing. If you have trouble getting it fixed through your dealer, I'd urge you to call MINIUSA and take it up with them. I've had to go through them to get a few repairs completed and they've been outstanding to deal with.

It does help to call MINIUSA after you've attempted repairs at your dealer. if you have videos, it helps your case more.

Old 04-09-2011 | 11:08 AM
MNMLST
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
There is a well-populated sticky and several sizable threads on the so called "death rattle" in this forum -- suggest you read them from start to finish and I think you'll find answers to your questions. But in sum:

The "death rattle" is an R56 issue associated with the N14 (MCS, model years '07 - '10 and MCS JCW thru '11) turbo engine. As of yet there are no verified cases that have been reported in the online forums for the N18 (MCS, '11) engine. Reported N18 engine rattles have been attributed to "normal" noisiness of the fuel injection system and the operation of the waste gate (the latter documented in a TSB). Plus, '11 owners are keenly sensitive to any extra noise with the N14 history and the hope that the new Valvetronic system has mitigated the issue (and dread that it has not).

If you have the "death rattle," there will be no mistaking the noise. It sounds like a chain being dragged across a metal trash can lid. Loud. Intrusive. Embarrassing. Worse than a poorly tuned diesel. Quite distinctively different than the normal "tappiness" of the engine.

The other thing we now know is that the "death rattle," if left to its own devices and not fixed, will eventually kill your MINI.

The forum should have "Thank you" buttons

Old 04-12-2011 | 03:10 PM
audiom3
1st Gear
Originally Posted by thevelourfog
The noise really is embarrassing. If you have trouble getting it fixed through your dealer, I'd urge you to call MINIUSA and take it up with them. I've had to go through them to get a few repairs completed and they've been outstanding to deal with.

It does help to call MINIUSA after you've attempted repairs at your dealer. if you have videos, it helps your case more.
I bought my car ('08 MCS) less than a month ago, and immediately noticed this cold start issue. Literally the first morning after I purchased the car. It prompted me to look online to see what it was, and that's how I found this website and the threads on "cold start issues". It is very loud - as you all have pointed out already, even if you don't know the Cooper's quirks. You would definitely know if you had the issue - trust me. I called MINI USA during the first week and reported the issue to them. All they offered to do was note the concern and customer's (my) feedback as to what the problem was on my car's "file". She said they have to follow procedures, even though I was positive I knew what the problem was. That seemed totally fair to me, since I had yet to take it into the dealership... duh! On an even better note, MINI of Concord is replacing all the parts associated with this issue first go! I just found that out today, so I'm very happy to report this. I should be able to pick it up in a few days.