Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Noisy first gear and reverse

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 09:37 AM
CalvinC
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noisy first gear and reverse

Hey guys I have an '02 S with a manual transmission and lately I've noticed that almost every time I start in first gear or put it into reverse and move the car, I hear this squeal. It only happens in those two gears, and its only for a little bit until I reach a good match between how far the clutch is out and the rpms of the engine. Ive been trying to keep track of where it doesn't make noise but I havn't been able to establish a pattern. The squeal is a sustanded sound with a pitch lower than that of a something like a fly wheal would sound like. Has anyone else experienced this or has any idea of what this is?

Old 02-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Rocketman14
1st Gear
Originally Posted by CalvinC
Hey guys I have an '02 S with a manual transmission and lately I've noticed that almost every time I start in first gear or put it into reverse and move the car, I hear this squeal. It only happens in those two gears, and its only for a little bit until I reach a good match between how far the clutch is out and the rpms of the engine. Ive been trying to keep track of where it doesn't make noise but I havn't been able to establish a pattern. The squeal is a sustanded sound with a pitch lower than that of a something like a fly wheal would sound like. Has anyone else experienced this or has any idea of what this is?
My guess would be a dry clutch release bearing! You would hear it more while taking off in 1st gear or reverse because that's when you feather the clutch the most! All other higher gears get a much quicker clutch action because you are already rolling by then! Try pushing the clutch in while you are cruising down the road about 40 mph, while it is gear, and just hold it down for a few seconds and see if it does it then. If it is a realease bearing, it should also squeel then!
Good luck on the fix buddy!

Old 02-09-2011, 10:31 AM
CalvinC
1st Gear
How hard/expensive is that to replace?

Old 02-09-2011, 10:55 AM
Rocketman14
1st Gear
Originally Posted by CalvinC
How hard/expensive is that to replace?
Well calvin I am no Mini expert, but on almost all vehicles you have to pull the transmission. The release bearing is on the pilot shaft between the engine, and transmission. You will most likely have to pull the entire engine and transaxel to replace it!
Before you do that, I would see if there is a grease zerk on it, doubtful but it's worth a shot. Most late model release bearings are sealed bearings with no way to grease them.
I hope I am wrong, but it sounds likely that it is your release bearing!