Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

So my wife calls me about an oil leak....

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 02:19 AM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wolfepak
Where is this tensioner? I've noticed this problem from time to time. Before spending time at the dealer, I'd be interested in seeing if I'm anywhere near 45 ft lbs.
It's on the firewall side of the engine near the front just below the intake manifold. I havn't personaly messed with one yet since most cars that have had suspected TC issues get taken to the dealer for warranty. If it's like the R53 you can get to it from the wheel well with an extension and a swivle socket.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:48 AM
paulao58
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After having the timing chain tensioner bolt retorqued after losing oil back in March, the car hasn't run as it did prior to anything being done to it. It's in the shop now for the second time since March. First time was because of revving engine on start, then loss of power when driving. Today it went in because of engine revving on start and check engine light coming on.

It will be fixed, then sold. Can't trust it anymore.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:03 AM
GKLipscomb
Neutral
MINI Timing Chain Tensioner

'Sounds like your MINI jumped timing while the tensioner was malfunctioning. That would explain the "sudden change in character" (unless, of course, you suspect your Cooper is on drugs).

Last weekend, the piston popped out of the cylinder on my timing chain tensioner. By the time the valves and pistons stopped crashing into each other, +5 quarts of oil had been pumped out of the sump through the tensioner housing. It was found to be almost bone dry when towed into the MINI garage.

A new engine is on order, but BMW has yet to make a call: Warranty item? Or Tough Luck?

Which will it be?

Old 05-10-2011, 09:27 AM
CoolantGuy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by GKLipscomb
'Sounds like your MINI jumped timing while the tensioner was malfunctioning. That would explain the "sudden change in character" (unless, of course, you suspect your Cooper is on drugs).

Last weekend, the piston popped out of the cylinder on my timing chain tensioner. By the time the valves and pistons stopped crashing into each other, +5 quarts of oil had been pumped out of the sump through the tensioner housing. It was found to be almost bone dry when towed into the MINI garage.

A new engine is on order, but BMW has yet to make a call: Warranty item? Or Tough Luck?

Which will it be?
keep us up to date all of you with this problem