Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

DTC, brake, seatbelt & Airbag lights all on, help. :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011 | 12:37 AM
Sketch
|
5th Gear
DTC, brake, seatbelt & Airbag lights all on, help. :(

Hey guys, I really need some assistance. After installing my new steering wheel (not a JCW, just a new oem replacement i bought off eBay) and re-connecting the airbag, my MINI tripped out. DTC, airbag/seatbelt, and brake lights ALL shot on. In addition to these issues, my car keeps 'going' left while in a slower speed (not leaning, not an alignment issue, but actually turning itself all the way to the left). Lastly, when the key is in the ignition, the windshield wipers will come on!!!

I'm really worried this could be quite expensive to fix... Especially with college coming up (not too much extra cash laying around).

Hopefully someone with some insight can offer some help,

Thank you,

Bradley in LV

Last edited by Sketch; 02-27-2011 at 12:48 AM.
Old 02-27-2011 | 01:01 PM
Sketch
|
5th Gear
Anyone?

Old 02-27-2011 | 02:58 PM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Well, I'm not sure I'm going to be a lot of help to you. I seem to remember reading that when the airbags are disconnected, then reconnected, the "fault" lights needs to be cleared by the dealer; not certain if the other warning lights are related, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Nothing but speculation to offer on the rest of it; sounds like something might have gotten cross-wired or shorted within the steering column when you reconnected everything...?

Perhaps replacing the new steering wheel with your original might alleviate some of the issues? At least that would be a way to potentially isolate the problem (i.e., if some or all of them go away by returning things to the original configuration, the problem might actually be with the steering wheel you bought). Regardless, though, you'll still probably need to make a trip to the dealer to get the light "faults" cleared -- or just live with them. And they'll probably charge you some shop labor for the privilege of helping you out...

Good luck!

Old 02-28-2011 | 11:32 AM
Sketch
|
5th Gear
^Thank you for the reply Tim. I am going to try a few other things before I resort to the dealer, but I figure that will end up being the place to finally get this resolved. I am going to do is switch the steering wheel as you suggested, however I doubt that will rid me of the lights. The airbag and steering wheel both have very different connection spots, so both send off different warning lights.

Old 02-28-2011 | 12:21 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Just a guess here but something has disrupted your SZL module, the steering wheel angle sensor located right where you plug in the airbag. The EPS (electric power steering) looks at that module and that would explain why it is turning by itself. You may have killed that module, or it may just need a reinitialization of the angle.

Old 03-01-2011 | 05:39 PM
Sketch
|
5th Gear
Originally Posted by strobeyprobey
Just a guess here but something has disrupted your SZL module, the steering wheel angle sensor located right where you plug in the airbag. The EPS (electric power steering) looks at that module and that would explain why it is turning by itself. You may have killed that module, or it may just need a reinitialization of the angle.
Okay, how would I know if it is broken? How can it be adjusted? I acidentally turned it all the way around once, I hope that woud not cause it to break. :(

Old 03-02-2011 | 07:11 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
And if you did turn it around you will need to get it back back around to where it started. That could potentially fix your problem.

You will need the dealer (or DIS/ISTA) to recalibrate the SZL.

Old 03-02-2011 | 09:46 AM
MP1.6T
4th Gear
Like other responses, sounds directly connected to steering wheel

Yes, try reversing that.

Meanwhile, I ran into what sounds like a very similar issue when I installed JCW gauges. That required disconnecting a connector on the back of the steering column, which in turn presumably meets up with the wheel, as well as the signal and wiper switches. When I went to start/drive car, variously the wipers wouldn't turn off, only one side of the turn signal worked, many warning mights activated, etc.

Good news was once I finally got that connector and its locking clip seated right, all was well, everything worked, and all warning lights went back off.

I installed a JCW wheel last night by chance too. Transferred the steering wheel controls and wiring over. Did disconnect battery while doing it to avoid any airbag light potential issues. Went together fine, and no repeat of my prior electrical maladies described above.

Old 03-09-2011 | 11:19 PM
Sketch
|
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MP1.6T
Yes, try reversing that.

Meanwhile, I ran into what sounds like a very similar issue when I installed JCW gauges. That required disconnecting a connector on the back of the steering column, which in turn presumably meets up with the wheel, as well as the signal and wiper switches. When I went to start/drive car, variously the wipers wouldn't turn off, only one side of the turn signal worked, many warning mights activated, etc.

Good news was once I finally got that connector and its locking clip seated right, all was well, everything worked, and all warning lights went back off.

I installed a JCW wheel last night by chance too. Transferred the steering wheel controls and wiring over. Did disconnect battery while doing it to avoid any airbag light potential issues. Went together fine, and no repeat of my prior electrical maladies described above.
Thanks for your help. What warning lights did you encounter? I have not had a chance to mess with it the last few days... I am going to go play with it again hopefully in the next hour....

Old 03-10-2011 | 12:47 AM
Sketch
|
5th Gear
WIN! Got the DTC, brake sensor lights as well as the turn indicator to function normally again. Also the car isn't leaning towards the left anymore. Now just to get the airbag light removed, which should not be a big deal. Thanks for the advice to everyone that posted.

Bradley

Old 03-10-2011 | 07:59 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Airbag light will have to be reset via ISTA or DIS or INPA. Dealer usually charges around $100 to reset the light.

What resolved your issue? That's awesome you got it working, not a cheap part!