Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Excessive Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 10:43 AM
Evasive
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Excessive Oil Leak

I just picked up my 2006 MINI last night. All was well until I backed it up this morning and noticed these two leaks. Anyone know where 2 leaks this much (sat in spot for about 12 hours) could be coming from? I've read issues with the motor mounts but this is both at the passenger and driver side.

UPDATE: The leak on the driver side is not an oil leak. After feeling it and doing a quick taste test I found that it's in fact coolant. I noticed that my expansion tank is empty as well. Leak is not coming from the expansion tank though.

Last edited by Evasive; 03-06-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:57 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Very likely the thermostat gasket, but could be a split expansion tank.
See this post for possible leak location.
If you've got oil on the passenger side, check the oil filter canister.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:46 PM
Evasive
5th Gear
Thanks for the tip on the thermostat leak. I did check earlier and verified that the oil leak is from the oil filter canister. I'm guessing that whoever changed it previously either did not seat the o-ring correctly or probably an aftermarket one that just isn't cutting it. I went ahead and ordered a new filter and ring online and hopefully can resolve that soon.

I drove the car a little bit today and didn't see much coolant leak. I'll check the thermostat area tomorrow to confirm. Unfortunately, I'm not scheduled to move to a house with a garage until this summer so I'll have to just keep the coolant topped off until then.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:57 PM
Achilless
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you know what your doing around a car, but just letting you know, the oil filter is a PITA to get on correctly your first time. Search on this forum and you will read a lot of threads about best ways to go about it.

Also you will need a 36mm socket, its a snug fit down there

Old 03-06-2011, 07:16 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Evasive
Thanks for the tip on the thermostat leak. I did check earlier and verified that the oil leak is from the oil filter canister. I'm guessing that whoever changed it previously either did not seat the o-ring correctly or probably an aftermarket one that just isn't cutting it. I went ahead and ordered a new filter and ring online and hopefully can resolve that soon.

I drove the car a little bit today and didn't see much coolant leak. I'll check the thermostat area tomorrow to confirm. Unfortunately, I'm not scheduled to move to a house with a garage until this summer so I'll have to just keep the coolant topped off until then.
The thermostat isn't that big a deal if you can swing a wrench. I just did a friend's driveway a few weeks ago. A few hours and not much mess - though you may consider doing a coolant change at the same time.
That said, as long as you make sure the coolant is topped up, it is not an immediate concern.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:25 PM
Evasive
5th Gear
Thanks Eric. I've done motor swaps and many modifications with my old cars in the past so I think I'll be able to manage this one . The apartment complex has a policy on changing fluids and was going to sneak the quick oil filter/oil change in since that takes but a few minutes. The thermostat seems like a quick enough process that I might just be able to swing that as well. Thanks again for the help.

I have to say...I've been a member of many car communities (Evolution, Subaru, S2000, VW's) and you guy are by far the nicest and coolest. I'll feel at home here very quickly

Old 03-06-2011, 07:58 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
It probably took two hours to do the swap (see the how-to section).

NAM is definitely a great place. Welcome! I joined two years before I actually bought. If you need to know about it, somebody here has already done it. And is willing to share!

Old 03-07-2011, 04:57 PM
Cadenza
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Evasive
The apartment complex has a policy on changing fluids and was going to sneak the quick oil filter/oil change in since that takes but a few minutes. The thermostat seems like a quick enough process that I might just be able to swing that as well. Thanks again for the help.

I have to say...I've been a member of many car communities (Evolution, Subaru, S2000, VW's) and you guy are by far the nicest and coolest. I'll feel at home here very quickly
I've replaced the oil filter w/o spilling a drop. It's a quick and lazy 2-step process...

Use a shallow 36mm socket to loosen the filter housing just enough to vent it. This allows the oil in the filter element to drain back down to the pan. Let it sit overnight.

Next day, simply unscrew the filter housing. Remove & replace the filter element & O-ring. Lube the O-ring and hand install the filter housing and follow by torque wrench to 18lb-ft.

k-huevo's instructions: http://www.lonestarminiclub.com/foru...read.php?t=411