Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Chirping serpentine belt???

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 01:18 PM
shadowwc50
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car came back. It is really the water pump. I think water pump is a common issue with all Mini, even BMWs.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:04 PM
dboard7
4th Gear
Im at about 10,000 miles and its squeaking at idle it’s pretty quiet and I here it after driving only from outside the car no cabin noise at all even with radio or vents off. Is this the same thing? does it need to be addressed right away?

Old 03-31-2011, 12:21 AM
MisterClean
3rd Gear
I'm curious whether this is an issue only with the "S" or with ALL Coopers...

Old 03-31-2011, 07:56 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dboard7
Im at about 10,000 miles and its squeaking at idle it’s pretty quiet and I here it after driving only from outside the car no cabin noise at all even with radio or vents off. Is this the same thing? does it need to be addressed right away?
If you're still under warranty, I'd schedule it in for service. Even if it's just something minor like a belt pulley (rather than the water pump), you might as well get it fixed for free... And if it is the water pump, you might be avoiding a whole bunch of grief for yourself down the road...

Old 06-13-2011, 02:42 PM
minimike21
5th Gear
i have this problem currently and they werent sure what it was... i told them maybe the water pump and he said he looked at the bulletin but it was only to 2009... does that matter? its the same symptoms chirping at idle when car is warm... they have had my car for almost a week... replace my flipping water pump!! haha

Old 06-13-2011, 06:02 PM
MattSaint
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by minimike21
i have this problem currently and they werent sure what it was... i told them maybe the water pump and he said he looked at the bulletin but it was only to 2009... does that matter? its the same symptoms chirping at idle when car is warm... they have had my car for almost a week... replace my flipping water pump!! haha
While chatting about common issues with the Mini, my MA had mentioned that they had a few new Mini's come in with bad water pumps.

Just some more information. Overflow tank was a little low, so mine was leaking. Also, if you let the car idle while warm the noise would go away until you rev'd the engine a little and then the cycle would start all over again.

HTHs!

~MattS

Old 06-13-2011, 07:21 PM
minimike21
5th Gear
That helps a lot actually thanks!!

Old 06-13-2011, 08:12 PM
cub4bearindiana
3rd Gear
hey there..

Mine 1.5 month old 2011 Mini Cooper S is doing the same right now.. Have to drive it for a while.. S mode helps here a lot.. and after ride around town.. I get this noise in idle.. I have appointment with dealer this coming monday..

I am trying to have everything done while I am there.. but I am already afraid that I will have to drive back ... and it is 110 miles one way..

List of things on 2011 MCS:

- water pump noise.. well, at least I think it is water pump - there is TB for that, BUT ONLY UP TO December 2009 and my car was build somewhere in July 2010.

- AC noise.. there is TB for that
- sunroof not opening in high temps - there is TB for that ( I may skip on that, since I read, some people got more wind noise, after doing this TB)
- weeping washer nozzles - I hope they have those check valves in stock to fix it.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:25 PM
minimike21
5th Gear
I wonder what there going to do about the water pump because the bulletin is only to 2009... Still seems to me that it is the culprit! I'm going tomorrow to talk to the tech.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:11 PM
MisterClean
3rd Gear
Darn. From all that I've seen on this thread I think I prolly have issues with my water pump. I haven't heard any noises but I check under the hood at least once a month and have noticed a slow decline in the amount of coolant in the overflow tank. I'm only 1300 miles from service so I'm thinking I would be okay to wait until then to address that issue. Last time I went in for service on a small issue they were slightly irritated that I did so.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:43 PM
cub4bearindiana
3rd Gear
so tomorrow I am doing round trip 230 miles to dealer and back.. to have few things fixed.. will let You all know if they going to fix water pump.. I KNOW FOR SURE I will have noise while I get there.. all I have to do.. drive it.. and then maybe few miles before dealer go to S mode to warm it up even higher.. then park the car and here I can hear, seating inside car.. whistling noise str8 from under hood on passenger side.. wish me luck.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:04 PM
cub4bearindiana
3rd Gear
So.. they going to be replacing FRICTION WHEEL for that water pump.. Got loner.. and they will tow my car back to me when it is done (I live over 100 miles away from that dealer)... Hoping to get my car maybe by end of tomorrow.. or wednesday..

Old 06-20-2011, 07:58 PM
cub4bearindiana
3rd Gear
funny! Just drove that 2011 loaner I got, it is JUSTA with auto trans.... and just when I parked in garage I could hear EXACTLY THE SAME NOISE I got on my car.. hummm coincidence ???

Old 06-21-2011, 01:14 PM
Douglas H
2nd Gear
I had the same symptoms at idle and took my 2009 S into the dealer for the chirp/squeal at low idle once warmed up. it could be heard more clearly if a slightly lower speed idle was used i.e. a/c compressor not engaged. i was told they could not reproduce the problem and they decided to clean the serpentine belt as an additional preventative measure.

The next day, the squeal returned yet again and I found this thread after doing a search. I rescheduled an apointment and took a link to this thread for the SA to review. This time, they heard the squeal and found a slow leak on the water pump. I am scheduled to have it changed next week.

Thanks to the forum and the prior posters for making it easy to solve these perplexing and sometimes difficult to diagnose issues with our cars. You guys rock!

Old 06-22-2011, 02:10 PM
minimike21
5th Gear
dang i was going to post in this thread but didnt see it... so i made a new thread... https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...off-video.html
let me know what you guys think?

Old 06-23-2011, 07:18 AM
minimike21
5th Gear
So even though I couldn't reproduce the chirp at idle I did have the noise I showed above... They think it's the water pump so they are going to replace that. Hopefully all is done with this! Man BMW step up your water pump game. Haha

Old 06-28-2011, 07:07 PM
Douglas H
2nd Gear
Today I had the water pump replaced. It took about 4 hours and the dealership gave me a Countryman S. I got the car back as scheduled and NO noise even with the A/C compressor off.

I am guessing that my next warranty repair will be the high pressure fuel pump. I need to research the threads on that soon.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:24 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
I'm hearing a chirping sound on start up but goes away once warmed up. Seems opposite others here. I first heard it after my timing chain/tensioner were replaced but it went away soon after. Back then I figured they got some oil or something on the belt but it soon wore off. Maybe I'm leaking something on the belt now...

Old 04-13-2012, 02:28 AM
MiniDeLux
3rd Gear
I have a 2009 Cooper D. in mid-2010 after having the car for about 14 months, I got a chirping noise from area of the serpentine belt. The dealership changed the timing belt (the diesel Coopers use a belt, not a chain) but I got no joy. Noise stayed. Four months later they changed the water pump. Noise disappeared.

Three short months after the water pump change, the chirping noise started again. However, it was intermittent and did it when cold and hot. It's now been almost 1 year and it's not getting any worse or better. Still chirps sometimes when the engine is hot, sometimes there is no noise when the engine is hot.

I don't know if it's the waterpump or what anymore. I'm not leaking any coolant and I don't think anything has gotten onto the belt, so it's anyone's guess as to what it is. Dealership also installed an updated friction wheel/tensioner, but this didn't do anything either.

I'd be interested to know if you've found anything?

Originally Posted by Benibiker
I'm hearing a chirping sound on start up but goes away once warmed up. Seems opposite others here. I first heard it after my timing chain/tensioner were replaced but it went away soon after. Back then I figured they got some oil or something on the belt but it soon wore off. Maybe I'm leaking something on the belt now...

Old 04-13-2012, 10:24 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
I did a close inspection of my engine with a flashlight and mirror... I can't see any leaks on the belt side of the engine, everything looks really clean actually. Considering other posts on here, it doesn't sound like it'll be an easy fix, it could be any component that spins with the belt. I crank it up when cold and I hear chirp chirp chirp chirp that speeds up with the RPMs. By the time I'm out of the garage, down the driveway and on the road it's gone and won't do it again until the next morning.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:18 PM
MiniDeLux
3rd Gear
Thanks for the info.

Mine is a little bit different. It's not rpm dependent. In fact, if I give it some gas the chirping disappears and only returns at idle.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:52 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Of course this morning it didn't do it. Sometimes I think my car does things so I can open bonnet and poke around in there...

Old 06-06-2012, 08:56 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Mine had the chirping sound only when the engine was cold. As I pulled out of my garage it would get louder as the RPMs went up and then go away within 10-20 seconds. It never did it while hot. My fix was to spray some lubricant on the serpentine tensioner pulley and it went away. It hasn't come back...

Old 06-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
It wasn't easy reaching the pulley though...

Last edited by Benibiker; 06-06-2012 at 09:38 PM. Reason: double post...
Old 07-03-2014, 09:53 PM
Island03z
Neutral
Originally Posted by chakraj
its an internal leak you wont be able to see it. If you can hear the vacuum leak for a few seconds after the car is shut down with the hood open (while standing infront of it) Also if you get a P1497 code, its an unmetered air leak.

I just changed my vavle cover myself and problem solved. I even had it at the dealer they said they looked for five hours and couldnt find the problem then told me to get my car out of there because I have aftermarket tubes.

I told them when I took it in it sounds like the valve cover is cracked. It took 30 minutes to change, the people at the dealerships are on the verge of incompetence.
Had the same problems described. CEL code. Hiss from engine when hot. At shutdown I could hear high pitched air coming from the top of the valve cover, sounded like a jet engine spooling down. Also had a high pitched squealing sound coming from the engine at idle which I thought was the water pump. Today I bought and installed a new valve cover and all of the problems went away. Good Tip!

Quick Reply: Chirping serpentine belt???