Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Door handles stiff (comfort access if matters)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 03:22 PM
peeti
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door handles stiff (comfort access if matters)

Opening the doors on my car is nightmarishly hard - is there a TSB on this, or some personal things I can do (no wise cracks about working out my hand muscles!)?

Thanks!

Old 03-08-2011, 05:48 PM
KevinC
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine are stiff as hell too. Pretty sure it's just "normal" operation, though I'm in full agreement that it's a bit ridiculous.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:33 PM
highlander709
4th Gear
My opening handles aren't too bad, but the drivers door lock/unlock button is hard to actuate, especially in comparison to the one on the passenger door. I have to really push it in as far as it goes to get it to work.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:09 PM
John Felix
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by highlander709
...the drivers door lock/unlock button is hard to actuate, especially in comparison to the one on the passenger door. I have to really push it in as far as it goes to get it to work.
Exact same thing on my MINI. Didn't used to be that way, either. It's a recent development, which makes me think it can be fixed.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:29 PM
MP1.6T
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Add me to the same mix/reaction

Also have Comfort access. In general, don't feel well made, and as if the mechanism needs some lube somewhere.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:22 AM
Spridget
4th Gear
I've had some stiffness in my door handle too - no comfort access. Funny thing is, it seems to be intermittent. Sometimes it works normally, other times it takes a death grip.

Spridget

Old 03-09-2011, 08:04 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by John Felix
Exact same thing on my MINI. Didn't used to be that way, either. It's a recent development, which makes me think it can be fixed.
I have noticed this recently also. It's starting to get so I have to use both hands. I was just chalking it up to weakness (I have elbow surgery coming up) but if I'm not the only one, maybe it is the car!

Old 03-09-2011, 08:15 AM
MINIxB
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Spridget
I've had some stiffness in my door handle too - no comfort access. Funny thing is, it seems to be intermittent. Sometimes it works normally, other times it takes a death grip.

Spridget

Same here.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:38 AM
peeti
3rd Gear
Well, Didi is going in for other work Friday, I'll ask the SA to add that to the list. Will report back.

FWIW, the comfort access nubbin is crap. Sometimes it's a light push, sometimes I think my finger will come out the other side of the door. GRRR.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:18 PM
highlander709
4th Gear
We have a similar system on our Mazda CX9, and it works much better on the CX9. It looks and works so similar in fact that it wouldn't surprised me if the comfort access component weren't sourced by the same vendor for both vehicles.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:59 PM
ClevelandRay
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by peeti
Well, Didi is going in for other work Friday, I'll ask the SA to add that to the list. Will report back.

FWIW, the comfort access nubbin is crap. Sometimes it's a light push, sometimes I think my finger will come out the other side of the door. GRRR.
Have similar experience with reluctant handles. Did you resolve yours? If so, is there a service bulletin covering this?

Ray

Old 03-09-2011, 06:32 PM
Richieb0y28
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Same here, no comfort access, but the handles have been hard to open recently.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:13 PM
mellocooper
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Agree the handles are rather hard, but I find if you grab as far toward the back of the car -- away from the fulcrum -- it's a bit easier.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:26 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
My drivers door (the only one that gets used daily) is getting rather hard to open. The passenger door is easy to open and the drives used to be like that. So i am sure it is something that can be fixed but I have not even thought about looking at it yet as the weather here is still very cold. Once it warms up I will take a look at it to see if it needs adjustment or lubing.

On the comfort access button issue where it seems sometimes you have to press real hard. You really do not have to do that (at least in most cases) as part of it is the way the system works. When you press the button it wakes up the Car Access System (CAS) if it has been more than 30 minutes since the car was locked. If it has to wake up the CAS then it just takes longer to open. After waking up the CAS the CAS has to authenticate a key fob as the proper one to open the car.

Pressing harder will not make it work any faster. I noticed this only about 30 days in to ownership and find if I just press it and let go it will eventually unlock the door. Sometimes it may take as much as 5-7 seconds to do so but when you are standing there in the rain that 5-7 seconds can seem like an eternity. I have also found that if I am wearing a coat with my cell phone in the pocket of the coat and my key fob is in my pants pocket so the phone is between the key fob and the car the car may not even see the key properly the first time.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:59 AM
joey1320
4th Gear
There are no bulletins regarding the handles from BMW, sorry.

If the dealer is not willing to help or too far away, here's what you can do:

Adjust the striker on the b-pillar.

You can get a cheap torx set from your local automotive parts store(Advance, Auto Zone etc.). I haven't done one in awhile, but I want to say you need a T50 torx bit. If anything just ask the guy at the counter to come take a look and match whatever bit you need to the screws on your car.

Now that you have the tool, you want to loosen the screws just enough to have some movement. What I do is, once the screws are loose I push/hold the door closed, while also pressing the outer release handle, that "sits" the latch in place. After I tightened the screws, I try to see how it feels. If it doesn't feel right, then I try again. It will take some tries, but you always end up with a better feel.

If this method doesn't do it for you, you can try to just move the latch out. What you are trying to do ultimately, is having less pressure pushing againts the door when closed, that should aleviate some stiffness. Yes, I have seen bad handles, but 99% of the time, this procedure will remedy the problem.

Good Luck!
Joey

Last edited by joey1320; 03-12-2011 at 04:28 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:51 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by joey1320
There are no bulletins regarding the handles from BMW, sorry.

If the dealer is not willing to help or too far away, here's what you can do:

Adjust the striker on the b-pillar.

You can get a cheap torx set from your local automotive parts store(Advance, Auto Zone etc.). I haven't done one in awhile, but I want to say you need a T50 torx bit. If anything just ask the guy at the counter to come take a look and match whatever bit you need to the screws on your car.

Now that you have the tool, you want to loosen the screws just enough to have some movement. What I do is, once the screws are loose I push/hold the door closed, while also pressing the outer release handle, that "sits" the latch in place. After I tightened the screws, I try to see how it feels. If it doesn't feel right, then I try again. It will take some tries, but you always end up with a better feel.

If this method doesn't do it for you, you can try to just move the latch out. What you are trying to do ultimately, is having less pressure pushing againts the door when closed, that should aleviate some stiffness. Yes, I have seen bad handles, but 99% of the time, this procedure will remedy the problem.

Good Luck!
Joey
I have had this work for other cars but in this case it has not worked for my MINI.

With the door open I closed the catch as if it was on the latch and still have the same tension problem as when the door is closed. So I need to take the door apart to find out what is sticking so bad. The passenger door works great but then again it does not get used but maybe once a month.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:18 AM
joey1320
4th Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
I have had this work for other cars but in this case it has not worked for my MINI.

With the door open I closed the catch as if it was on the latch and still have the same tension problem as when the door is closed. So I need to take the door apart to find out what is sticking so bad. The passenger door works great but then again it does not get used but maybe once a month.

I guess you are the 1%

Old 03-14-2011, 08:29 AM
peeti
3rd Gear
Well, I'm back from the dealer. NPF on handles. In fact, they felt better the morning it was picked up for service, so that's kind of what I expected. It's as if it's variable. Some days it's great, others it's stiff as all can be. I'm staying tuned in, hopefully someone can dig a root cause here.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:42 AM
MP1.6T
4th Gear
Given the rash of posts in agreement, my current theory is this may be correlated to cold. Waiting for warm days to see if then it feels consistently much easier. Not sure that points to a fix, but may explain better when it is more pronounced.

Anyone remember stiff action when warm? Anyone reading in Hawaii or Central or S. America this time of year?

Originally Posted by peeti
Well, I'm back from the dealer. NPF on handles. In fact, they felt better the morning it was picked up for service, so that's kind of what I expected. It's as if it's variable. Some days it's great, others it's stiff as all can be. I'm staying tuned in, hopefully someone can dig a root cause here.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:10 PM
KevinC
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MP1.6T
Given the rash of posts in agreement, my current theory is this may be correlated to cold.
Not a factor in my case.. it's 79f here at 8:10pm. Warm weather comes early in the Sonoran desert. Triple digits will be here all too soonn.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:46 AM
jamesb
1st Gear
Both problems here

I have had the comfort access button pushing my finger through the door problem for a while now on my 09. Within the last few weeks, I have been having major exterior door handle release issues wether it was locked or not. Door only partially opens and I have to push it back fully latched and repeat over and over before it opens. It seemed worse while we were getting the pre-christmas rain, but not always while raining or after it has had time to dry out.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:56 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,096 Likes on 1,870 Posts
Did you adjust the striker ?

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172