Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Engine Blown..03 S

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 08:32 AM
buggyeye401
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Blown..03 S

hi all, need some opinions and facts..preferrably facts LOL..

so my engine blown, the tech advised me i need a new engine (something about the engine compression). My question is..i have a 03 S and there is a standard mini engine for sale (non-s) will it work? i mean isn't the only different is the super charger? can i simply buy the non-s engine and just move my super charger onto it without issues? let me know what you think? any help would be great. there's a engine i found at the junk yard that is running but its a non-s and he's giving me a great deal..

thanks much,

Old 03-15-2011, 08:40 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm sure someone will chime in with the nuts and bolts of why, but I'm pretty sure it's not as simple as just moving the supercharger onto a non-s engine.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:43 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by buggyeye401
hi all, need some opinions and facts..preferrably facts LOL..

so my engine blown, the tech advised me i need a new engine (something about the engine compression). My question is..i have a 03 S and there is a standard mini engine for sale (non-s) will it work? i mean isn't the only different is the super charger? can i simply buy the non-s engine and just move my super charger onto it without issues? let me know what you think? any help would be great. there's a engine i found at the junk yard that is running but its a non-s and he's giving me a great deal..

thanks much,
no, the rods will break and the compression is too high to work with the supercharger

we can rebuild any engine much cheaper than what the dealer will tag you for. People pay more for "used" engines on the net than what you can get a rebuilt one for. Let me know if you need help.

We build race engines too

Old 03-15-2011, 09:14 AM
02CooperSBlue
1st Gear
just an FYI but I had a guy quote me around 3k for a new S engine here in the San Francisco.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:28 AM
Vollgas
6th Gear
There are a couple of JCW engines on ebay for less than $4K, complete.
Before you start looking for engines, I would see if you just have head gasket gone.
Check plugs for any water in cyl.
How bad is compression loss in the cyl.
Was or is there any mechanical noise in engine.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:57 AM
buggyeye401
1st Gear
thanks for all the imput guys..Vollgas, enough compression loss that the engine won't turn..and if it does turn, it will stay only for a moment before shutting off. There's no smoke coming from the engine, the tech didn't say much about it..just pretty much its gone..so i'm going to tow it back home and have my tech friend pinpoint the problem..i might just have it rebuilded and get it back to the zero milege, i've been calling around and most of the engines were around 70-80,000 miles and mine was only at 150,000 with this shitty problem...and the sad part is i don't even beat on my car..65mph everyday! sad sad day in deed.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:10 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
FWIW, if you paid the tech for a diagnostic, he owes you a diagnosis, and something more involved than "it's broke".

'The engine won't turn' would indicate an issue other than low compression.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:11 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I think it's an issue of semantics here, the tech said "it's broke", but the OP said it would only turn for a few minutes then shuts off. Sounds like it runs, but not for long.

I've learned that when young or non-mechanical people say it doesn't "turn on", they often mean it won't start, not that it won't turn over on the starter motor.

It's an important difference, but a lot of people use the terms interchangeably.

So I agree with the poster who said they still owe you a diagnosis other than "it's broke". At 150K it may well be broken, but it would be nice to know exactly what broke then, a rod, the crank, a valve into a piston, timing chain, camshaft or just what exactly.

Likewise, at 150K a full rebuild is called for, not just a patch job. Why the OP thinks 150K out of an engine is a disappointment I don't know, but frankly I don't think that's bad life out of an engine. Especially if he bought it used and didn't drive those miles himself, or have it serviced.....

Let us know what your buddy says, OK?

Old 03-15-2011, 07:12 PM
NoE30
2nd Gear
Please ask for a more specific diagnosis. Sounds like loss of compression on more than one cylinder. Was the car run hot? Run without enough oil? Did it get this way gradualy or all at once? Was the compression test done wet or dry or both? You may just need a head or head gasket. I would consider 150K low but I have a volvo with 240k and a bmw with over 300k. My Mini has 137k I and I hope to get to at leak 200k without majoir failures (I hope this realistic). Like someone said the s and justa engines have diffrent compression ratios among other diffrences and are not interchangable.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:02 PM
firehawk618
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by NoE30
Please ask for a more specific diagnosis. Sounds like loss of compression on more than one cylinder. Was the car run hot? Run without enough oil? Did it get this way gradualy or all at once? Was the compression test done wet or dry or both? You may just need a head or head gasket. I would consider 150K low but I have a volvo with 240k and a bmw with over 300k. My Mini has 137k I and I hope to get to at leak 200k without majoir failures (I hope this realistic). Like someone said the s and justa engines have diffrent compression ratios among other diffrences and are not interchangable.

IF the motor is really blown there's gotta be more to it. I really have a hard time believing that one of these engines just spontaniously blow up. If it wasn't run low on oil, over heated, or beat the crap outta, i'd definitely get a 2nd opinion.

189k on a S here and everything checked out perfectly when I was doing full maintenance on it recently.