Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Melted hood scoop after two years - is there a TSB about this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 04:38 PM
mslatter
4th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Melted hood scoop after two years - is there a TSB about this?

So, after two years of quietly laughing at all you poor saps who had melted hood scoops, I was walking to my car today and noticed a dip in the center of mine. I thought I was immune if it didn't melt in the early days.

This raises two questions in my mind:

1) Is there a service bulletin out on this that will help me get it replaced for free or at a discount? I know it's a common problem.

2) The fact that it didn't melt for two years, but now seems to have melted: should I be worried that perhaps my engine or turbo is running hotter? My driving style hasn't changed any.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:54 PM
iamsteve710
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had three replaced by 2 different dealers under warranty, I don't think you'll have a prob. BTW even though the replacements were covered under warranty I found it a PITA, so the last time I worked out a deal with the dealer to have the plastic POS replaced with a CF one and was happy to pay $125. Just my thought.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:21 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, if you are still under warranty they will replace it for free.

I'm on my third scoop.

I added this the last time I got my scoop replaced, and so far so good. Seems to be preventing it from melting again. Good luck!

Old 03-18-2011, 05:53 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
It's funny that you posted this today. I just noticed the same thing about an hour ago.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:59 PM
MP1.6T
4th Gear
It is referred to in a TSB that...

also spec's a small aluminum heat shield below the scoop as an improvement. That shield also seems to duct air a bit further back in the motor area. It is also compatible w/ either the small piece of sound insulation that fits in the same area (above the heat shield), or the alternate one that covers much of the hood underside. No I don't have the TSB or part #'s handy; found the TSB just reading posts, and eventually found the insulation (neither of which was on my 2010 MC S) on RealOEM.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:17 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Even thought the scoops on the '11 models are purported to be made of more durable materials, I went with the cheap insurance and installed the same OEM piece as LadyG.

I'll never forget the time I was able to do an informal inspection of all of the R56 scoops on the Copper Mt. parking ramp at MITM3 -- back when the problem was just coming to light. Apart from the newly purchased MINIs, easily 75 percent of the scoops present had divots of varying severity. Many of the affected owners hadn't even noticed it happening yet.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:52 PM
MP1.6T
4th Gear
Yes, same piece as referenced in the TSB

and that I also installed. The earlier post also shows the smaller insulation pad; which at least on my 2010 S was no loner standard. I added it back in when I did the heat shield retrofit.

Originally Posted by Gil-galad
Even thought the scoops on the '11 models are purported to be made of more durable materials, I went with the cheap insurance and installed the same OEM piece as LadyG.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:05 PM
AXO
5th Gear
Originally Posted by LadyGodiva
Yep, if you are still under warranty they will replace it for free.

I'm on my third scoop.

I added this the last time I got my scoop replaced, and so far so good. Seems to be preventing it from melting again. Good luck!

Holy Cr-P! $26.00 for a part that actually works! I am in

Old 03-19-2011, 04:35 AM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AXO
Holy Cr-P! $26.00 for a part that actually works! I am in
Yeah, it seems like a no-brainer to me!

Old 03-20-2011, 02:03 PM
Kodan
3rd Gear
I got my dealer to comp me one of the heat shield things when they did my scoop replacement. That was months ago(within two weeks of reports of the piece even being available) and my scoop is still perfect. At fist I did NOT think it would be any different but it does make a difference. I would ask politely for your dealer to comp you the shield as part of their repair. If they balk comment on how others are saying a less than $30 part would stop the problem from recurring but you are willing to let them continue to replace the $300 scoops as many times as necessary(and imply that you will schedule appointments every time you notice a slight dip).....

Old 03-20-2011, 02:55 PM
Ween
3rd Gear
Does anyone have a photo of a melted hood scoop?

Old 03-20-2011, 03:33 PM
Stryker305
1st Gear
If you look at the scoop standing in front of the car the side closest to your windshield has a dip right in the middle of it!
That's deformation from the turbo heat, this site is amazing the info shared is awesome I have my 09 jcw for 2 days and noticed this same problem

Old 03-21-2011, 09:20 AM
Ween
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MP1.6T
It is also compatible w/ either the small piece of sound insulation that fits in the same area (above the heat shield), or the alternate one that covers much of the hood underside.
Do you need the sound insulation to be present if you want to install the heat shield that LadyG linked to?

I couldn't find that part on RealOEM. If I'll actually need it, anyone know where I could purchase that insulation?

Old 03-21-2011, 02:42 PM
Kodan
3rd Gear
Do not need anything other than the shield and the two mounting "screws" that come with it.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:04 PM
MP1.6T
4th Gear
No, not needed.

You can do just the metal heat insulation, or combine it with the couple of underhood insulation choices. You have to look back to the earlier R56 years to find it--the large one is on the early Justa's as I recall, while the smaller alternative one (near the turbo area) was from a couple of year old S's IIRC.

Originally Posted by Ween
Do you need the sound insulation to be present if you want to install the heat shield that LadyG linked to?

I couldn't find that part on RealOEM. If I'll actually need it, anyone know where I could purchase that insulation?

Old 03-22-2011, 05:24 PM
TChezem
2nd Gear
Just had my plastic hood scoop repalced with CF, and had the dealer add on the heat shield as well for cooler hood temps. They charged me $260 (the "upgrade" fee), for everything...seems as our local dealer is not as "friendly" with warranty work here in Salt Lake City. The SA at our dealership is polite and although I overpaid for the upgrade, I am very happy with the new scoop and glad to know it won't melt again! The metal heat shield really cuts down the overall hood and scoop tempature.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:29 PM
ignitionmodule
4th Gear
Originally Posted by iamsteve710
I've had three replaced by 2 different dealers under warranty, I don't think you'll have a prob. BTW even though the replacements were covered under warranty I found it a PITA, so the last time I worked out a deal with the dealer to have the plastic POS replaced with a CF one and was happy to pay $125. Just my thought.
I just noticed a dip in my hood scoop today (6 mo/old 2010 S). Have you had any problems with the CF replacement?

Old 06-08-2011, 07:01 PM
miniparker
1st Gear
I'm having my scoop replaced and found a BMW/Mini part number that is the OEM heat shield. They come with the CF and chrome scoops but NOT the others. The service advisor said I would have to purchase it but the parts guy had one in stock and gave it to me. The part number is 51482183986.

Thanks,

Parker

Old 06-08-2011, 07:37 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NM Titanium Heat Shield... After a 3 1/2 trip to Atlanta, my scoop was cool enough to rest my hand on. Pricey, but...

Old 06-09-2011, 05:13 AM
iamsteve710
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ignitionmodule
I just noticed a dip in my hood scoop today (6 mo/old 2010 S). Have you had any problems with the CF replacement?
Sorry for the late reply, but it's about a year and 25k miles, with no problems with the CF scoop.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:14 AM
ignitionmodule
4th Gear
My dealer, Century Mini in Greenville SC, was not willing to let me cover the difference between hood scoops to a CF one. Only offered to let me pay full retail. I said ok, start schedule paint and appointments.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:56 AM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Yeah. Century.

I use Hendrick MINI in Charlotte. Well worth the extra drive.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:06 PM
YubaRiverMini
1st Gear
I just put one (heat shield) on because I heard a White Roof Radio pod-cast that said if you don't your bonnet stripes can bake after a few years. Then I couldn't find the part number until recently an email from an aftermarket mini parts place had it advertised. It's a FACTORY ADD-ON, made in Germany. Retail cost is $37.50, just takes a few minutes to install! http://new.minimania.com/InvDetail.cfm?item=G2NMA1022

Last edited by YubaRiverMini; 06-09-2011 at 04:12 PM. Reason: added
Old 06-09-2011, 04:41 PM
ignitionmodule
4th Gear
Originally Posted by YubaRiverMini
I just put one (heat shield) on because I heard a White Roof Radio pod-cast that said if you don't your bonnet stripes can bake after a few years. Then I couldn't find the part number until recently an email from an aftermarket mini parts place had it advertised. It's a FACTORY ADD-ON, made in Germany. Retail cost is $37.50, just takes a few minutes to install! http://new.minimania.com/InvDetail.cfm?item=G2NMA1022
And I'll do this for sure...after a dealer swaps me out the difference for a CF scoop. 100 degrees today again and my commute is all freeway.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:41 AM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Originally Posted by YubaRiverMini
Way has the same one for $26: http://www.waymotorworks.com/mini-co...5-r56-r57.html

Quick Reply: Melted hood scoop after two years - is there a TSB about this?