Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Quick question on purchasing new mini possible problems to spot

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 03:14 PM
electricalbox
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick question on purchasing new mini possible problems to spot

Good afternoon everyone, sorry in advance if this is the wrong place to post this or just a horrible question in general.

My girlfriend is purchasing a 06 S with the Asin (iirc because it has the paddle shifters) auto trans with 52k miles on the clock. I am wondering other than the two common possible oil leaks (CPS and crankshaft seal), and coolant reservior issues, what else should I lookout for when inspecting this car. I am taking the car to a trusted mechanic to take a look at everything, but just want to know if there is any other specifics to have him look at.

Thanks for reading, nice to post with you guys.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:32 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
a quick search will get you the Motoring file buying guide...a year by year list on what to watch out for on a used MINI.
The single most important things to watch for is history+previous maintenance...
On these boards you will find thousands of issues...some rare, some common...so related to folks beating on their cars (having fun doing racing, auto-x, or "spirited" driving). Sure as sporty cars, they are driven hard sometimes...but most folks also drive more normally often...so just look for signs the car has been loved, and driven well! Don't let the tales of woe scare you off...the joy of MINI is great! The gen 1 "S" auto tranny is conventional, and fine...just stay away from the non-S suto CVT's if you must get an auto!!

Old 03-21-2011, 03:40 PM
electricalbox
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
a quick search will get you the Motoring file buying guide...a year by year list on what to watch out for on a used MINI.
The single most important things to watch for is history+previous maintenance...
On these boards you will find thousands of issues...some rare, some common...so related to folks beating on their cars (having fun doing racing, auto-x, or "spirited" driving). Sure as sporty cars, they are driven hard sometimes...but most folks also drive more normally often...so just look for signs the car has been loved, and driven well! Don't let the tales of woe scare you off...the joy of MINI is great! The gen 1 "S" auto tranny is conventional, and fine...just stay away from the non-S suto CVT's if you must get an auto!!
Awesome thank you for your fast detailed response, the maintenance per car fax was always done and for the first 40k the suggested maintenance was always performed as well.

Sadly we must have a auto because she doesn't like manual all that much and daily commutes the car. I have a 6MT mk5 gti and while my car is much quicker, I absolutely love the handling feel of the car even being auto. Hopefully it should check out fine and she can have it out on the streets in no time.

Thanks again for your response and have a nice day.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:06 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts