Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Fast blinkers

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 04:14 PM
Big K
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fast blinkers

Does anyone else have this problem? I had some after market bulbs in my blinkers, front and back for two and a half years. Everything worked great and then all of a sudden one day I'm getting the bulb out warning light, took it in to service and they suggested replacing the bulbs to the OEM ones. So today I replaced all bulbs back to stock and still getting fast blinker. And bulb out signal.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:14 PM
etalj
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Big K
Does anyone else have this problem? I had some after market bulbs in my blinkers, front and back for two and a half years. Everything worked great and then all of a sudden one day I'm getting the bulb out warning light, took it in to service and they suggested replacing the bulbs to the OEM ones. So today I replaced all bulbs back to stock and still getting fast blinker. And bulb out signal.
Fast blinkers happen due to a resistance that is too high, which means that somewhere in your blinker system, there is something that has most likely burnt out, causing too low a current flow (for example a frayed wire).

Old 03-28-2011, 06:27 PM
ballandchain
4th Gear
Originally Posted by etalj
Fast blinkers happen due to a resistance that is too high, which means that somewhere in your blinker system, there is something that has most likely burnt out, causing too low a current flow (for example a frayed wire).
I'm not too sure about your conclusion there. If something is "burned out" then its an open in the circuit. If something is shorted out by a frayed wire it will maybe cause it. But as far as "current flow", electricity doesn't act like water in a hose. Especially A/C current.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:34 PM
MP1.6T
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about the obvious...?

One of the "replacement" bulbs is either no good, or not seated/installed correctly. Would check that long before I started suspecting wiring issues. Has happened to me more than a few times over the years.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:48 AM
etalj
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ballandchain
I'm not too sure about your conclusion there. If something is "burned out" then its an open in the circuit. If something is shorted out by a frayed wire it will maybe cause it. But as far as "current flow", electricity doesn't act like water in a hose. Especially A/C current.
I would say that electricity behaves very much like water in a hose. I wouldn't have thought that the current in the electrical system isn't alternating is it?

Also, buy a "frayed" wire, I meant that it was open, not shorted.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:37 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
There are three bulbs you need to check on each side:

Front blinker bulb in the headlight assembly
Side scuttle bulb
Rear blinker bulb in the taillight assembly

If those all seem to be working then find my post that explains getting the detail of the check control message you are seeing, it will drill down a more accurate description of your error message and hopefully pin point the problem.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:47 PM
Big K
2nd Gear
Yes I have checked all three on each side and all seem to be ok. Now this is weird but when I turn on the emergency blinkers they blink slow or normal. When I then click either side blinker it still blinks slow. but when I turn off the emergency lights they blink fast. I hope this makes sense.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:16 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Sounds like either a bulb socket or wiring has been damaged.

And the worst case scenario is your FRM module is now damaged from the LED use. I have discovered that retrofitting any light bulb in the car can be a very risky thing to do as the FRM is directly wired to each and every exterior bulb. The computer expects a certain load and resistance on each circuit and of course does warm and cold checks on each bulb and light.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Big K
2nd Gear
I have never had LED's in the Cooper!

Old 04-02-2011, 02:29 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Sorry, for some reason my brain jumped to LEDs...There must be a socket issue/wiring problem even though all lights are working, there must be a bad connection somewhere.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:24 PM
Big K
2nd Gear
Well my issue with the fast blinkers is ongoing, I took the cooper in to service and now they are saying that I should replace the battery and or the the altenator. The tech said I was not getting 14 volt output, I measured myself and found 14 volts! I don't know what he was measuring. The battery has a green full charge indicator. They also said that I should unhook my sound system, amp, Cleansweep etc. it may be to much of a load on the altenator. I know several people have aftermarket amps in there Coopers with no problems so I pretty sure that this is not the problem. Any more advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old 08-05-2011, 04:26 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
The FRM module is really a computer that controls a lot of things as well as the lights. and from what you have explained with the double flashers and that working right and then when turning the double flashers off it not working correctly it sounds as if you have a corrupt FRM module.

Try disconnecting the battery for at least 30 minutes. That should reset the FRM module programing and hopefully correct you problem.

Let us know how it works out.

If that does not work have the dealer do a complete reinstall of all software in the car.

Many things are corrected, like window dip problems, Heat A/C problems and such by a full reprogram.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:41 AM
Big K
2nd Gear
Ok, I disconnected the battery for 45 minutes, hooked her back up got in and started it up. Tried the blinkers and for the first 3-4 times it was back to normal but then went back to fast blinking. Pissed! Is there any way of knowing which bulbs are giving me a problem, like I said previously it gives me two light bulb errors and a rear fog light error.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:19 PM
Mini///M
5th Gear
Check polarity, resistance, or clean the hell out of the sockets or contact points. That's usually the solution to fast blinkers in my experience. I don't think it could be anything else.

Old 08-15-2022, 10:45 AM
Orbit45
Neutral
Check Your Side Blinkers Too!

One of the side blinkers was out on mine, after I replaced another suspicious bulb in the rear and still got the double time blinking. Never even thought of this before so maybe some of you have the same issue! 🤘🏼