Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

new to mini coopers need help!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 03:30 PM
minimaximum10
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new to mini coopers need help!!!!!!!!

well to start off i have 2003 Mini Cooper R50 With an automatic trans. ive had problems before with it, but they went away and now they are coming back and has become worse and wont go away. like jerking when putting it into reverse and also in drive.. sometimes jerking when getting ready to accelerate from stop.. and when im goin about 45mph the RPM needle floats from 2,000rpms - 3,000 rpms like its not staying in gear.. also when using the sport dirve shift mode on heavy acceleration in higher rpms it sounds like coke cans grindin and crinkling.... another side question what does the dowels look like

Old 03-29-2011, 04:25 PM
Suzanne's Chili Red S
4th Gear
Sounds like the CVT auto is having problems. How many miles and has the fluid been changed?

Old 03-29-2011, 04:32 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The CVT transmission is a ticking time bomb. When it goes you're out about $7k. Get rid of it while you still can.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:44 PM
wolfschauze
1st Gear
is there a way or something you can do before cvt goes numb???

Old 03-30-2011, 09:45 AM
justincummings
2nd Gear
Calm down.

As a fellow R50 owner w/ CVT let me tell you the following:

1st. The CVT transmission isn't that bad.

- The CVT tranny although not the most well designed transmission is not that bad. R50's with the CVT will experience some mild jerk at low speed shifting and acceleration. PERFECTLY NORMAL. Don't believe me? Call your local Mini dealer and ask to talk somebody in service, they'll tell you the same thing. Proper service and research about your Mini will keep you motoring for years. You will make yourself nuts if you just sit there and worry about potential mechanical failures. Arm yourself, read the forums, get the Mini Bentley manual and get friendly with the service manager at your local Mini shop.

2nd. Fluid Change

- The CVT transmission fluid needs to be changed. I don't know how often off the top of my head, I'll look at my Bentley manual and post that later. So if you haven't changed the fluid, and have no idea when the last time it was serviced, it's a good idea to change the fluid.

3rd. The CVT is a VERY expensive repair

- It's true. The CVT is an outrageous and expensive repair. ($7k+) If you are truly worried then I recommend you get it to a dealer or shop that specializes in Mini's and have them take a look and get their opinion.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:54 PM
minimaximum10
Neutral
its a jerk like the engine and everything is about to fallout lol like its slipping... i took it to a mechanic he said the trans was spinning too fast for a slow speed. idk how to explain it. like the trans was spinning at a fast rate at 30mph than it should be.. idk

Old 03-30-2011, 08:02 PM
Jim Michaels
5th Gear
Your MINI is very sick and needs to go to someone who knows MINI CVTs; either to a dealer, or to a good independent shop that knows MINIs. Read and heed Justin's #5 post above.

Please post an update when you learn more; worried CVT owners will want to hear how this comes out.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:53 AM
minimaximum10
Neutral
well.. bad news for cvt.. cause my car totally took a **** on me at an itersection.. and wouldnt go any where when im pedal to the metal.. rpms dont even move.. it sounds like its gets stuck in a way higher gear and wont come back down.. i was told when i got the trans fluid looked at and seen for my self there were very veryy tiny metal shavings in it.. just little sparkles verrrrrrryyyy small sparkles

Old 04-05-2011, 04:12 PM
Jim Michaels
5th Gear
Sorry to hear that.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:09 PM
justincummings
2nd Gear
Oh no!!

Originally Posted by minimaximum10
well.. bad news for cvt.. cause my car totally took a **** on me at an itersection.. and wouldnt go any where when im pedal to the metal.. rpms dont even move.. it sounds like its gets stuck in a way higher gear and wont come back down.. i was told when i got the trans fluid looked at and seen for my self there were very veryy tiny metal shavings in it.. just little sparkles verrrrrrryyyy small sparkles
That breaks my heart man. I'm sorry to hear about this, I truly am. This seems like a mounting issue. I seriously think a lawsuit needs to be addressed here. There are so many horror stories here!

Any NAM'es with legal expertise know what kind of options are possible?