Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Power Steering Fluid Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 02:50 PM
LittleLemon
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Steering Fluid Leak

Hi! My 2004 Mini Cooper Base has a power steering fluid leak. Last November, I sent out the power steering pump to have it remanufactured by BBA Reman, and my boyfriend reinstalled the pump. I hadn't had any problems with my steering until last Sunday when the wheel wasn't turning well. We added Pentosin CHF 11S to the power steering fluid reservoir because it was almost empty (below the white area at the bottom). The fluid almost entirely leaked out overnight. Yesterday, we refilled the reservoir, and my boyfriend checked above and below the car while the car was running and I turned the wheel. He didn't see any fluid coming out of anywhere, although there appears to be fluid around the reservoir, at the top hose clamp, and everywhere below. The car seems to leak when the car is cold and sitting, nearly the whole reservoir empties overnight, and the two main puddles under the car are 1. under the center and 2. between the front right wheel and the center. Should we replace the hose clamps and/or hose first? I haven't found a lot of information on this problem other than that. I don't have a lot of money, so any DIY recommendations are appreciated! Thank you!!!

Old 03-30-2011, 02:51 PM
LittleLemon
Neutral
Old 03-30-2011, 11:26 PM
dadsalfa
1st Gear
My 03s has a small leak where one of the hoses connects to the reservoir,I'm just waiting for a warm day to put new hose clamp on it .I would try that first,it sounds like that could you're problem,but with a much bigger leak of course.There seams to be enough slack in those hoses to trim a bit off and reclamp if it's split where it slides on to the bottom of the reservoir.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:42 AM
ericfreeman
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The reservoir hoses are quite robust hoses: I had to cut my supply hose off last weekend when I R&R'd the pump. I'd look for some damage to either hose along with checking the ends of the steering rack for leaking seals. Not sure if the rack will leak just sitting there though.

Eric

Old 03-31-2011, 08:20 AM
MiniCooperS43
1st Gear
Those hoses are a pain to get off the reservoir, atleast mine was! I ended up cutting it off and then removing the reservoir and putting a new hose on. a new hose from way motor works is $57 so I went to O'reillys and had them cut a piece of Hydraulic hose for a few bucks.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:27 AM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I help out a lot at my mechanics shop. The PS hose are a source of leaks. Anything much over 5 years old leaks. When ever we have to drop the subframe, as in bearing changes, tranny work, if the hose are leaking we implore the customer to replace them, as there is hardly any labor at that point. I would say 80% of hoses are bad at that time frame.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:56 PM
LittleLemon
Neutral
Thank you for the suggestions. Today we removed the inlet hose and it didn't seem to have any cracks, damage, etc. We couldn't find any hydraulic hose in town, but we'll get some Monday. We inspected the power steering fluid reservoir, and it seems fine just like the hose. The vent in the cap was clear of obstructions. The return hose is dry. All the clamps were tight. We plugged the holes on the reservoir and put steering fluid in it, and nothing seems to be leaking from the reservoir. I'm worried that replacing the inlet hose won't improve anything since we can't seem to find a source for the leak. The only thing we are certain of is there is lots of fluid around the reservoir and below, making us believe the leak must be from the top. The reservoir seems fine, but should we replace it? I haven't found any information on leaking reservoirs. This leak has us baffled! Do you guys have any more thoughts on this? Thanks!

Old 04-03-2011, 12:29 AM
dadsalfa
1st Gear
That's crazy annoying.Maybe wipe everything clean and run the car a bit and look closely.It seems that it has to be the hose,tank,or connection.It looks to be a big leak so it seems it should be noticeable.Good luck.Let us know what you find out.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:12 PM
LittleLemon
Neutral
With the replaced inlet hose, there is a still a leak. I think we'll use a degreaser to clean everything up before looking for the leak again. My boyfriend is expecting to tear out the power steering pump. I'll post updates. Thanks!

Old 04-12-2011, 08:36 AM
tomasme
1st Gear
Check the steering rack boots....

Just took my 2003 Cooper into the shop today since I have had to add PS fluid a bit lately and wanted it checked out (replaced the PS pump 2 years ago; paranoid since then). The steering rack boots are filling with fluid; a sign the rack is going bad. Once the boots fill too much, they crack and start leaking big time. This may be your problem. New steering rack installed with an alignment is about $1500.

Last edited by tomasme; 04-12-2011 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Spelling error...doh! Added estimated cost.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:58 PM
LittleLemon
Neutral
Update: After degreasing and power-washing the power steering area and letting it dry, the return hose seemed to be the only part that had wetness. The power steering pump looked fine. We replaced the return hose (using new crusher washers) and used brand new hose clamps for both low pressure hoses. For the sense of future security, we also added the power steering fan duct to the bottom of the car. We bled the power steering fluid, and there were no leaks spotted anywhere while the car was running and the steering wheel was turned. The repairs were done last night, and today, my car is back to leaking power steering fluid.

We don't know what to do other than to send the power steering pump back to BBA-Reman, even though it appears to not be leaking fluid. The steering rack is dry and the boots are in great condition (no cracks). My boyfriend grew up in a mechanic's shop and does car rebuilds, and I trust his DIY abilities. I worry that if I take the car to a Mini dealer they won't know what's wrong either so they'll replace everything or replace something very expensive and there will still be a leak. I would have to borrow money to cover the repair costs. I love my car but I'm starting to resent it because it's been broken so much. I don't know what to do :(.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:13 PM
tomasme
1st Gear
Vaccum in the PS system causing the fluid to leak out?

I feel your pain; it's very frustrating when you can't find what is causing a problem.
You are correct with respect to what will happen at the Mini dealer; they will want to replace everything and hope that fixes it.
The only other thing I can think of is that somehow there is a vacuum occurring somewhere in PS system which causes the PS fluid to leak out through the overfill in the reservoir (or elsewhere) when the car is turned off.
I suggest that your BF strip and rebuild the PS system.
Hope that helps.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:22 PM
tomasme
1st Gear
PS system diagram for 2004 R50

LL, check the link below for a diagram of the PS system in the 2004 R50.
It may give your BF more insight into all the hoses, pipes, sources of leaks, etc.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...67&hg=32&fg=20

Old 04-22-2011, 03:25 PM
tomasme
1st Gear
PS leak detection kit

LL, apologies for the repeat postings.
Check the link below for a PS leak detection kit that might help.
http://blog.bavauto.com/bmw-e46/bmw-...-detection-kit

Old 05-11-2011, 08:24 PM
LittleLemon
Neutral
Hi all! Six and a half weeks and $100 in power steering fluid later...I think we finally fixed the leak. Upon further examination, we thought the power steering pump was leaking (so much for believing the leak was top-down), so we removed it to send it back to BBA-Reman. Wiped clean and kept in the same position after removing it, the pump leaked fluid, so we felt good about sending it to BBA. The rebuild has a limited life-time warranty, and because there was something wrong with the pump, I didn't have to pay for shipping. My boyfriend put all the steering components back in the car last night, and there hasn't been a leak since! A steering fan duct was added to protect the fan, so hopefully I won't have anymore power steering problems...for awhile. Thank you for the help!

P.S. BBA-Reman has excellent customer service. I'm also surprised at the reasonable prices on parts ordered from my closest Mini dealer (Bergstrom in Appleton, WI); most of their prices are lower than Mini parts places online and their shipping is free over $200, $7 for under $200. The parts manager at Bergstrom MINI is great to deal with, also.

***I'm so happy I have a car again!!! Today the whole car was cleaned with a toothbrush and a little non-scratch scrub pad...that's how happy I am.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:10 PM
pew1375
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, this seems to be the post I've been searching for.
Yesterday, my 02 MCS leaked all of it's ps fluid, and lost all ps. Some of the fluid leaked onto, or sprayed onto the exhaust, making steam or smoke, which was my first indication something was wrong. Already took it to my mechanic, who is a classic Mini owner, so I should have a diagnosis today. I was hoping it was just a hose or clamp, but I've already rebuilt an axle, and am in the process of getting new rims and tires, since the 18's that are on there are bent......
Already looking like I'm gonna spend a ton of money on this car, and I got it the 1st of August.
So far the car is totally worth it.
I'll post more later in case somebody else is looking for the same solution in the future

Old 04-30-2014, 03:25 PM
CosmicBlue15
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniCooperS43
Those hoses are a pain to get off the reservoir, atleast mine was! I ended up cutting it off and then removing the reservoir and putting a new hose on. a new hose from way motor works is $57 so I went to O'reillys and had them cut a piece of Hydraulic hose for a few bucks.
After 2 years have you had any trouble with the hose that O'Reilly's cut?
Did you reuse the old hose clamps?

Old 04-30-2014, 07:21 PM
JRhea
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reman. Power steering pump

3 months ago I put a Dorman remanufactured pump from NAPA on my 02 MCS. I could have got it cheaper somewhere on the internet, but NAPA included a lifetime warranty in writing. That was worth the extra bucks. The pump is quiet and works great.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:54 PM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
This is precisely the reason why we need a simple reversible PS Delete Kit. Condor Speed Shop is still awaiting a junk donor rack to customize one for us. Anyone got one?
Check this thread out:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...html?styleid=7

Old 04-30-2014, 08:55 PM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Having a delete kit like that would make steering feel between having PS & a busted pump. Not so bad.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:05 PM
Wtfbmw
Neutral
Wow! I'm certainly glad that I found this information.My last bmw was 74 2002tii and was a pretty solid car.I was considering a mini but after reading about the problems with the steering at what I would consider a relatively low mileage, I will definitely reconsider and look closer at a Miata.Thanks for the warning and I would certainly agree that they should all be recalled!

Old 12-10-2015, 09:20 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Wtfbmw
Wow! I'm certainly glad that I found this information.My last bmw was 74 2002tii and was a pretty solid car.I was considering a mini but after reading about the problems with the steering at what I would consider a relatively low mileage, I will definitely reconsider and look closer at a Miata.Thanks for the warning and I would certainly agree that they should all be recalled!
MINI's do have their quirks. If you're DIY capable it'll help keep the repair costs down. If you're looking at a first gen MINI there is a great buyers guide here that goes over common issues/failures.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST