Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Squeaky Clutch Paddle Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 11:51 PM
sdhan79
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squeaky Clutch Paddle Issue

Hi all. Quick question. I have 2010 Mini Cooper S with only 4000 miles on it and clutch is making very annoying squeaky sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmjW0V4wmPA

I've done some research and I noticed quite a few clutch issue related posting, and I am very concerned about my Mini.

I took my Mini to two dealers in L.A. First one Long Beach Mini. When I took my Mini there, my clutch paddle was making squeaky noise like this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVn5c4JpNNc

However, according to technician at Long Beach Mini, he said it's normal behavior. So nothing was done .

5 days after, I took mini to another dealer in downtown L.A. This time, as soon as I mentioned about clutch issues, they said, if they hear any squeaky noise from clutch, they would have to take whole car down for investigation and send clutch to Mini headquarter for warranty service approval, but chances are very slim and most likely driver's fault blah blah blah. Basically what they were trying to tell me was that clutch problem is 'YOU and Your Driving habit', and it sure sounded like they do not want to do any warranty fix. I told them drove G37s Coupe Manual in Los Angeles heavy traffic before Mini and G37 never had clutch problem, but they said they've seen Mini with clutch problem even at 500 miles. 500 miles??? hm....

Anyway, this time clutch paddle wasn't making any noise but technician applied some oil. Came home and didn't drive Mini for rest of day. I had to pick up milk, so I drove Mini for less than mile and noise is back again. argh...

What is the best way to convince Mini dealer to replace clutch paddle parts under warranty?

Old 04-05-2011, 01:27 PM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've kind-of noted the same noise from my clutch pedal, but I don't think it's the clutch itself -- just the pedal mechanism. My clutch engages fine (no slipping or other anomalies); it's just the pedal mechanism makes a creaking noise...

The second video you posted seems to give some better insight, though; the guy who posted that said his MINI dealer replaced the following parts, and then his squeaky pedal was fine:
  • 35-31-1-161-719 bracket, compression
  • 35-30-1-164-381 bracket compression
  • 35-30-6-772-694 compression spring
That may be the part(s) where the service folks applied oil in your case...

Even if you get your dealer to replace those parts, my guess is MINI hasn't updated the parts to address the matter of creaky noises, the noise will likely return over time... And it's not that unusual for a clutch pedal on a vehicle to get creaky; you ultimately just might need to learn where to squirt a bit of WD-40 every now and then...?

The noise is annoying, I agree; but I don't think it signals that any of the functions of the pedal/clutch are being impeded...

Old 04-06-2011, 02:33 PM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
If they can reproduce the noise and other cars don't make the same noise, they should replace it. I just had mine replaced because it was clicking and not engaging smoothly.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:26 PM
009Mini
3rd Gear
Mine had the pedal "click" sound and the engagement was awkward. 50,000 miles and 4 clutch pedal assemblies later, they got rid of the click and it finally operates like a normal clutch should. I found with Mini's, you have to be patient. Some say these things are part of the ownership experience.