Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Annoying electrical "shock" when exiting??

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 06:56 AM
djdellaquila
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Annoying electrical "shock" when exiting??

My MCS has developed an annoying habit of giving me an electrical shock when touching any metal on the car when exiting...

I have let this go for a few weeks now trying to diagnosis or make some sense of it... Looking for patterns of weather, clothing, shoes (even tried bare feet), duration of drive, etc...

No such luck.. I sit in the car, start it, so much as move it 4 feet in the driveway, and Zap when I touch the door to close it... Sometimes a little annoying zap and sometimes down right scary ZAP...

Anyone have a similar issue? Any suggestions?

Here are the details on my car:

05 MCS JCW
39k miles
Leather Interior (if that matter due to static)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-06-2011, 07:20 AM
Spooled
3rd Gear
I had that happen to me in my '06 for about a 2 week period a couple months ago. It went away on its own, but I never did figure out what the deal was. I did notice that during that period, my cat was staticy whenever I would pet him. I chalked it up to the weather, even though it was changing the whole time - sun, rain, wind, hail. I know this info doesn't help your situation, but I felt your pain.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:00 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Static electricity, it's annoying but it won't hurt you.....

You can fix it by buying a ground strap - it's exactly what it sounds like, a strap you attach to the car that drags on the ground, it dissipates the static charge to ground instead of using you to do it.

They used to be pretty common back in the day, but you may have trouble finding one today. Try accesory stores like JC Whitney or Pep Boys

There may be a topical you can put on the leather that will help with this too, just a good leather treatment like Lexol or Connolly hide food - it's good for the seats too!

Chances are tho, like Spooled said, it will just go away, or lessen to the point you don't notice it anymore.

It has nothing to do with the car's electrical system tho....

Old 04-20-2011, 04:29 PM
perucho
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by djdellaquila
My MCS has developed an annoying habit of giving me an electrical shock when touching any metal on the car when exiting...

Anyone have a similar issue? Any suggestions?

One way to prevent this is to touch a metal part of the car (before you get out) and keep your hand on the metal until you are completely out of the car. Give it a try!