Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

New 2011 MCS Concern

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 07:38 AM
Precise
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 2011 MCS Concern

I am about to seal the deal on a 2011 MCS with manual transmission. I have been trying to do my homework and learn about the potential pitfalls of the vehicle. I know that people don't necessarily come to a forum to express their happiness with the way things are working but I am a bit concerned in that I see a ton of threads about potentially serious issues.

Pardon my ignorance but are these cars really as unreliable as it might seem from browsing around the forums or are we just naturally inclined to read about it moreso since, after all, that is one things the forum is for. I know the entire NA motoring forum probably represents < 1 % of the total MINI population so my gut tells me its not all bad.

Thanks.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:25 AM
Dodgy
3rd Gear
For what it's worth, I've been driving my 2011 MCS daily since I picked it up, have several thousand miles on her, and haven't had any issues.

Now I also have good friends with a 2010 Clubman S who have had several issues, between carbon build up and the fuel pump, in less than one year of ownership. I'm hoping that the 2011 fixed some of those issues with the redesign, but time will tell.

I think, as you suggest, we hear about the issues (and solutions) on great forums like these, but we don't hear about all the absolutely normal good days of fun motoring.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:35 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Yeah you have to realize that is what the forum is for. When people need help or want to b*tch, they turn here.... Nobody really posts about how they have reliably made it to work for 18 months or something lol.

Yes they have more problems than a Civic and others, but they are certainly not all going to be lemons. Id be prepared to take it in once or twice for something to get fixed or tweaked during the warranty.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:49 AM
rimtnbiker
2nd Gear
I have been going back and forth over a decision on a 2011 MCS or a Countryman S. They both have the same turbo motor. The 2011 engine has a number of improvements over the previous engine. I think some of the changes made are to address the carbon buildup issue and the turbo failure issue. Hopefully they got it right this time. I have noticed that as other problems came up with this engine, that BMW/Mini seemed to quickly engineer a fix. i.e. Cold start, melting hood scoop, death rattle, etc.

I keep my cars for a long time and many of the complaints voiced in this forum have also made me question my decision about jumping in. I am concerned as you, at least you get 50k warranty to see if you have a lemon. One thing just keeps bringing me back and won't let me get away, drive a MCS and then go test a few other cars, no other car puts the grin on my face and makes feel young and wild like this car does. I am worried, but I am 99% sure I will buy one anyway.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:18 AM
Headlands
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know everyone's incredibly sick of me saying this, but there IS a reason why MINIs don't have good reliability on any major reliability reports out there. It's not because the only people with problems are on forums.

You DO take a risk when you buy a MINI. It's up to you whether that's worth it or not. I've had loads of niggling little problems with mine (a 2010), and two friends who have MINIs (a 2007 and a 2009) are selling theirs due to many problems. Sometimes I consider selling it, but then when I drive it I think, "Well, maybe I'll just wait a little longer."

Look at Consumer Reports, J.D. Power, etc., etc. It's not just the forums, I'm afraid to say. But heck, you might get a good one...it's just a calculated risk. I'm not being cynical or negative at all -- reality isn't always pretty! Of course there are plenty of people who haven't had any problems, but that's to be expected. There's just not really any other option out there like a MINI, so you just need to decide if you want to take the risk or not.

Last edited by Headlands; 04-10-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:49 AM
Precise
1st Gear
Went through with it. No point in wondering "what if."

2011 MCS red/white on the way.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:22 PM
oldsbear
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Precise

Congratulations

Mine is on the Atlantic as I write this. Our MCCm has had zero problems, and I hope for the same with the new, revised MCSm.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:05 PM
Headlands
4th Gear
Excellent! I wish you both the best with yours.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:30 PM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Precise

No need to wonder or worry; Chili Red is the most problem-free color...

Congratulations! Enjoy!

Old 04-10-2011, 09:06 PM
Island maser
5th Gear
I drove my 2010 S for a year with zero issues. My 2011 JCW has about 4k on it and no issues to date. It did 2 days at Thunder Hill and put down some impressive times for a stock Mini. Fast after the Jan Tune. The Mini is way to much fun. My Maserati is doing a lot of sitting while I play with the MINI.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:36 AM
Herleman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by timfitz63

Congratulations! Enjoy!

But in my experience, the BRG cars often have to go get parts for the chili red ones. But then, that's just based on my limited personal experience, of course. Approaching 30K miles of trouble-free BRG performance. Congrats on the new delivery.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:29 AM
Big Jim Swade
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I haven't had a single problem with my 2008 yet.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:47 AM
white3
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some of the negative ratings are also due to the Minis "unique" controls that some people for some reason have trouble figuring out. This causes the JD Powers rating to be so low. Even Consumer reports will downgrade cars if their controls are confusing.

Ive had mine for over a year, and its been very reliable, and the most fun car I have ever owned.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:38 AM
capt fred
2nd Gear
My 2011 MCS has 5k on it and zero problems. Some confusing controls yes, but no actual problems. And the run flats will be gone this month.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:41 AM
capt fred
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by capt fred
My 2011 MCS has 5k on it and zero problems. Some confusing controls yes, but no actual problems. And the run flats will be gone this month.
Oh, I forgot to mention that my Corvette has only gone 200 miles since I got the Mini last October.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:43 PM
Wolfepak
1st Gear
Originally Posted by timfitz63

Congratulations! Enjoy!
I was about to say the same- '08 MCS, Chili Red and the only problem I've had was the window anti-pinch deal, 3 minute reprogram that resulted in a free oil change and rear wiper blade- not to mention the chrome MINI license plate insert I picked up, so all's well. So, it's obviously a color choice issue. I drove the car in England for the first 2 years- plenty of cold mornings, but I've only had a handful of noisy starts, but no loss in performance/other strange behavior. Still, I'll probably go ahead and get it checked out just to be sure the tensioner issue isn't gonna be a problem, but no issues so far. In my opinion, it's like any other car- if you take care of it, it'll do you right. If you neglect it, you're gonna replace it sooner than you'd hoped.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:19 AM
tccox
4th Gear
Bought mine in November and has been trouble free, except.....a slight vibration around 60 mph which was made worse when dealer rotated tyres. I'm driving a loaner now (2010 MCS) while they try to track problem down to a particular wheel/tyre). Thats minor thought and I LOVE LOVE my MCS

Old 04-24-2011, 08:29 AM
G8rman
Neutral
Replaced Timing Chain at 24K

My 2008 MINI has been maintenance free until I took it in for its normal (free) maintenance and they told me the timing chain was out of spec. Replaced same day and back on the road...again, no charge. Was a little concerned with a timing chain going out that soon but I love my MINI sooooo much I have a Countryman due in next week. Wouldn't think of owning anything else.

Countryman AWD, Cold Weather Package, Sports Package, Convenience Package, Premium Package, Adaptive Xenon lights, White w/Black roof, and 18" Star double spoke star black rims.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:50 AM
Herleman
5th Gear
After almost 30K miles, I'm having the same old problem. The darn thing keeps running out of gas about every 430 miles.

Must be a leak.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:28 AM
Headlands
4th Gear
Originally Posted by white3
Some of the negative ratings are also due to the Minis "unique" controls that some people for some reason have trouble figuring out. This causes the JD Powers rating to be so low. Even Consumer reports will downgrade cars if their controls are confusing.

Ive had mine for over a year, and its been very reliable, and the most fun car I have ever owned.
This is only for the Initial Quality or whatever they call it. Overall long-term reliability has never, ever been a MINI strong suit. It's OK, they're still great cars to drive, but factually speaking reliability is not great for these cars (I know, I know, I know: some people don't have problems -- I'm talking generally).

No need to argue this, and it doesn't mean the car is any less fun to drive or own -- it's simply a fact, however. If luck is on your side then you're golden.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:50 AM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
I'm on my 4th MINI and never had any problems. Also, I've never had a glass roof in any of them, one reason is that I don't want problems.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:01 PM
slimjimtell
5th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Had my 2010 clubman s since January 2010...It now has 23,000 miles. Changed the oil and put in gas. It's been absolutely a great car, great MINI service.
Just had JCW Stage 1 kit and a Remus exhaust installed...it's a completely NEW car! Wife thinks i'm obsessed...you think?