Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

2003 R50 Water Pump Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 07:41 PM
Smokidog
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 R50 Water Pump Replacement

My Non-S Mini has had cooling system issues that seem to continue to be more bizzare with each passing day. Started with the cooling fan that wouldn't turn off (thanks to the information on previous posts) I changed the electric fan. Then the radiator leaked. Changed that (again with good information on the forum), now it's starting to overheat after sitting/stopped in traffic for any more than a few minutes. Yes, bled the system, and no air as far as I can tell. If I rev it to 2,500 RPMs it stays about at the half way point on the gauge.

I've changed the thermostat and no change except that it now runs cooler on the freeway. Will go down to nearly the 1/4 point. Sitting stopped, back to HOT.

Bottom line is that I'm going to change out the water pump, but have found NO information on the forum, or the net for this procedure on a NON-S Mini!?

If anyone cares to share this, it would sure help. The location of the pump seems to warrent removal of the front bumper, radiator, inner fender well, belt, and ?

I'll post about my procedure when finished as an aid to anyone else in this situation.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Vollgas
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before you go to trouble of changeing water pump do a little testing.
With radiator cap off, fill radiator, look for signs of the water moving.
If water seems to have a current to it the pump is working.
When you changed radiator, did you put in coolant mix or just water.
Coolant system should be 50/50.
Use the BMW coolant, expensive but it does the job.
After all that, I would bet that you still have air in system.
At most auto part stores you can either buy or rent a special funnel that will help bleed the air out.
If you don't find it there, most auto repair shops have it.
A must have item for these pressurized systems.
Another thing to check.
Start and run car in driveway. Turn off AC/Heat. Look for water dripping from water pump.