Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Now it's the turbo...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 05:57 AM
bluemeanie357
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now it's the turbo...

My 2009 MCS had the timing chain rattle so I brought it in, and they replaced the chain. Said it was 70.5mm which is out of spec. It rode fine afterward, if a little sluggish, which I thought was the ECU needing to pick up driving habits.

I'm not hard on the car, I hardly ever engage kickdown, never tracked it, etc. I drive it gently until it warms up. After I'd drive a few miles I took it on the highway, and gave it some gas. Didn't even floor it. In 3rd, the engine stopped accelerating and held at 5k RPM, and the "half engine" light came on, meaning reduced power.

I knew Prestige (who replaced the chain) were closed to move the dealership, so I called Morristown, who couldn't get me in for 4 days, so I turned around in a parking lot. Checked under the hood for anything obvious. When I started it up again it was wheezing like a pneumatic drill, half engine light, but drivable. So I took it home until I could get a loaner.

Back at Prestige yesterday, they say it is the turbo. Perhaps it got dirt in it when they replaced the chain. I don't know. They are calling MINI. It is still under warranty, thank goodness, but I am calling MINI as well. at 46k miles I have had the following replaced:

Fuel pump - around 25k miles. MINI sent me a letter saying this part is covered until 100k miles due to issues. Probably due to US ethanol policy, but whatever.
Water pump and friction wheel - 35k miles- This took Prestige 2 times to get right. As soon as I took the car on the highway from the dealer, it overheated. Then a clip on an intake hose popped when I took it home the second time, so it took 3 visits to fix that. They have a new service manager now.
Timing chain / cold start rattle - 45k miles. They replaced that on Thursday or Friday.

I love driving my MINI but that's a lot of repairs in under 3 years of ownership. "All cars have lemons," sure. I thought I'd be fine, after I read all the nightmares here in the forums. This isn't a track car or a weekend luxury vehicle, and it should be more reliable than this.

I want a Countryman for the wife but we need one car that can be counted on. I'm calling MINI USA in a few.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:25 PM
Old chuck
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This does seem excessive. My wife is looking to get a mini in the next couple of months and this is troubling. I would assume that yours is in for service more then normal. Will be interesting to here from some others with far more mini knowledge then me.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:46 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry to hear about your rough ownership experience! It's very troubling, thank god you are still under warranty.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:54 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Just for info's sake, do you change your oil more often than the computer calls for, or do you just follow MINI's schedule and the CBS?

Did they happen to say what caused the turbo to fail? I'm betting on a clogged oil return line.....

Can't think of anything in the timing chain repair that would affect the turbo in anyway, however, the same thing that might have killed the turbo could also have killed the tensioner, leading to the demise of the chain....it just went first.

Eager to hear what they have to say, try to pin them down for details, OK? Maybe ask them to show you the parts?