Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Transmission being replaced!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 09:24 AM
C4
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dan, look, I own a '02 Cooper CVT and love the car, so this is not about "elitism" from an MCS as you call it. Take the time to read the forums in MINI2.com and here in NAM to see the failure frequency of the Midlands gearbox. I am sure there are thousands of troublefree 5 speeds roaming around the world as we speak but keep in mind that BMW does know about the issues with this tranny and it is no secret that the current 5-speed is the weakest link in the Cooper model.

To me the addition of a Getrag box to the Cooper will only mean increased reliability and the possibility to mod the car in ways not currently possible. It is a win-win situation.

The "R65" Midland gears 5-speed will be discontinued in June or July '04 production. This is official news from BMW, not hearsay. The R65 is an ancient transmission design that has been used in other Rover cars. the original design is derived from French Peugeot.

If there is an "inherited" by design problem with the Midlands box, then how owners are going to fix future problem s with it? You guessed it! By replacing gearboxes every 20K-30K miles at YOUR POCKETBOOK expense.

It puzzles me why BMW put themselves and thier owners in such uncomfortable position by going with the R65 transmission. Time will tell.

Old 01-21-2004, 09:35 AM
C4
Banned
I found an interesting archive topic thread over at mini2.com for your reading pleasure:

http://www.mini2.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-48643

Old 01-21-2004, 09:44 AM
dandp
6th Gear
Cooper4us - I know you own a CVT in addition to the MCS. Trust me, I read the forums on both sites frequently...I'm hardly new in these waters nor oblivious to the problems with the gearbox. And I understand that it's not hearsay that it's being replaced - I read the forums and post, just like yourself. Have read it here, MINI2 and on Gabe's site. I am fully aware of what is going on with the cars in the MINI lineup, including the 2 models I do not own. And I have driven the MCS several times and agree that the Getrag is a nice tranny on the car. But let's not forget that there are also CVT owners with tranny problems out there as well. I am not denying that the Midlands tranny is a weak link in the system - but are we looking at a 50% failure rate here? Is it bad enough for MINI to issue a recall and warn all owners of possible failure? I would like to see hard numbers from a source giving a failure percentage, that is more or less what I am looking for.

As far as modding the Cooper, the tranny is not the only weak link here. The engine internals are different from the MCS as well.

Old 01-21-2004, 09:46 AM
dandp
6th Gear
Thank you for the link, you will see that I posted on there as well. My name on MINI2 is ddp FYI.

Old 01-21-2004, 09:50 AM
C4
Banned
Dan I agree and the bottom line here is that MINIUSA needs to address this issue with current 2002-2004 Cooper 5-speed owners. It seems these trannies won't last past 50K-60K miles...absurd!

Old 01-22-2004, 11:25 AM
StephaneRiz
Neutral
I may be a little naive but I'm hoping I'm giving out some good news.....Just got off the phone with BMW Canada who told me that the new transmission installed in my 03 MC last week (to rehash, lost my first one at 5,000 km, second at 40,000 km, both times a seal let go during -30 to -40 type weather) has had the "seal" problem corrected. If they aren't just giving me a feel good line, anyone who has had a new transmission installed in the last 5 months (since Septmber 03) should now feel confident that this problem has been put to bed. After driving a Mini, don't think I can handle a rented Cavalier ever again!

Old 01-22-2004, 11:54 AM
countrym
6th Gear
It puzzles me why BMW put themselves and thier owners in such uncomfortable position by going with the R65 transmission. Time will tell.
From what I've read, this decision was a concession to the Rover engineers on the part of the BMW engineers during the design process. The Rover people wanted to use "their" tranny. Cost was an issue too.

Chris, my condolences on the tranny crap-out.

Old 01-26-2004, 06:58 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to put off updating this thread for so long, but it's a pretty unremarkable story. Got my car back on Thursday, new transmission. Works fine, although the gearbox will take a little while to loosen up again.

>>got off the phone with BMW Canada who told me that the new transmission installed in my 03 MC last week (to rehash, lost my first one at 5,000 km, second at 40,000 km, both times a seal let go during -30 to -40 type weather) has had the "seal" problem corrected. If they aren't just giving me a feel good line, anyone who has had a new transmission installed in the last 5 months (since Septmber 03) should now feel confident that this problem has been put to bed.<<

StephaneRiz, thanks for the encouraging news. I'd really like to believe it. I called MINIUSA last week to ask this exact question, and after waiting 24 hours to check around and call me back, they couldn't say anything other than the transmission had been "updated" - they had no info about specific problems being addressed. Likewise, MINI of Peabody couldn't really tell me anything, either.

And by the way, they're on my crap list now, too. They overtightened my oil drain plug when I was in for my 10k service, so I asked them to retorque it to 25 or 30 nM while my car was sitting waiting for the tranny. Wasn't done. I still can't budge the damn thing, and now I'll have to get the ****** at Herb Chambers to help, which is bound to be unpleasant.

Seriously thinking about getting a 2005. If I can get 14 grand or so in September for my 2003 with 25,000 miles, I'll do it in a heartbeat. This episode has destroyed my confidence in the long-term reliability of this transmission.

Old 01-31-2004, 09:52 PM
zgokart
5th Gear

>>Seriously thinking about getting a 2005. If I can get 14 grand or so in September for my 2003 with 25,000 miles, I'll do it in a heartbeat. This episode has destroyed my confidence in the long-term reliability of this transmission.

Chris, sorry to hear about your MC transmission problem. I too, have a 5/02 MC 5-speed with 16k miles on it, but so far have had no problems. That is not to say that, after reading this and other threads, I don't have concerns about the robustness of the Midland transmission.

On the other hand, someone provided a link to the MINI2.com site and many people saw nothing wrong with the transmission, while StephaneRiz mentioned the "seal fix." I hope the "seal fix" really works, since it is the least expensive and disruptive fix compared with installing a new transmission.

Here's another thing: could the "seal" failure be due to cold weather and cold weather only? I live in mild-weather California, which may explain why I have no problems so far. If anyone living in a mild climate area (south west or California)has a seal failure, please post here. Not that I want to hear about another owner's unfortunate tranny failure, but it MIGHT affect my car downstrream.

Old 02-03-2004, 07:04 AM
orvillespooner
2nd Gear
I have the same exact problem. Loosing gear oil, rattle coming from gearbox in neutral and in second gear, whine in 5th gear. All this happened suddenly. No warning signs. Being towed to dealer. Will let you know what happens. '03 MC 5spd, 31k miles. 11 '02 build date.

Old 02-05-2004, 01:53 PM
JuanPacoLopez
3rd Gear
Just to chime in chris...

At least in the ATL area, used mini's with less than 30k miles are going for upwards of 18 and 19k. In some cases (less than 20k miles) they go for AT OR ABOVE MSRP of a new one.

Demand is such that people are (for some reason) willing to pay INSANE prices to get their hands on one "now" rather than wait the 11 weeks for delivery.

Just to give you some hope, I think it's DEFINITELY possible for you to trade up to an '05 with little or no monetary loss.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:22 PM
lawbench191
2nd Gear
The exact same thing happened to me in my Mini last week.My transmission grinded and died. Leaking Midland transmission at 68,000. Im really disappointed and was out of warranty but my dealer is paying for the cost of a new transmission. Im paying for the labor of installing it. Im at least happy about that. All I can say is if your car has a Midland Transmission have it regularly checked at your Mini Dealer. I have been hearing horror stories of these trannys going kaput between 50,000 to 70,000 miles. Finally I cannot complain about my dealer because they gave me a new BMW loaner to drive while my new transmission is being installed.