Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Can someone help me determine what problem this is

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 09:10 PM
mike714
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone help me determine what problem this is

Hi Everyone,

I have a Mini Cooper S 2005. A few days ago I notice a loud noise coming from the engine. It will get louder as I increase my speed and the noise will start subsiding until it is completely silence when I come to a stop. It does not come on or become noticeable until my car start getting into a good speed. The sounds becomes noticeable when my car reaches 30mph. It seem to be coming from the right side of my car if I am looking out of my driver side window. I'm suspecting it could be my supercharger going bad or a belt that is getting loose. One thing I notice, when I increase my speed dramatically, the sound would gety very loud then I'll put it on neutral to check the sound. I can clearly hear it whining down. Please here the mp3 I have provided and take a listen. You will hear me take off quickly when I hit a certain speed where I feel that the sound starts to become noticable. I would put my car on neutral. You will start to hear like a "whining noise that sound like a lawn mower" I've done many searches for this sound but still could not find it. Please let me know your thoughts.

Below is where you can download my audio clip. any help would be great! thanks!
http://www.mediafire.com/?1u2nndtx96in25s

I've had the car for a year. At this point, I know a good amount about my car and what sound it produces. This just seemed very abnormal and I've never heard it before.

Mike

Last edited by mike714; 04-24-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:09 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
It's a bad file and I am not downloading plugins from some unknown source to hear it.

Maybe you should try to describe the sound.

If it's a metalic knocking sound from behind the glove box, it is probably just the hydraulic upper engine mount.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:03 AM
mike714
Neutral
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
It's a bad file and I am not downloading plugins from some unknown source to hear it.
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
Maybe you should try to describe the sound.
If it's a metalic knocking sound from behind the glove box, it is probably just the hydraulic upper engine mount.

Thanks for your reply, I will check the file to see why it isn't working. The sound remind me of another engine. Its like a second engine that is activating when i hit a certain speed. I know I'm being a bit confusing. But its like I hear my normal engine noise when I drive. Then i hear this second engine that get louder as i go higher in speed. I've never heard it before in the past. Also hope this can shine or is a clue as well. A few week I heard another sound coming from the belt near the supercharger or left side of the engine. My engine produced this other sound during cold start mornings. Not the "knocking sound" that people have been associating to as the "sound of death for mini coopers of my generation" it sounded like a "whooping sound coming from the timing belt super charger area." that sound would only produce itself during cold start morning but would disappear when the engine is warmed up. I'm just more concern about this current noise. Its loud enough for me to first, "get annoyed by the sound as i drive. Secondly, "get concerned because I have a feeling the only sound that can produce a second engine noise type of sound would be the supercharger." Unless the tensionor belt could be the culprit. What are your thoughts?
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]mike[/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 04-26-2011, 04:07 AM
mike714
Neutral
still no thoughts anyone? please help out if there is any input. I know this community is very knowledgable.

Mike

Old 12-01-2011, 01:43 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Any chance you could post the sound in a format that's more easily played on our computers?