Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Timing chain issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 01:57 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Evil Redhead
+1 2009 MCS
I heard a faint knocking noise when I started my MINI one morning. I turned off my MINI and restarted it and the noise went away. Since I know there is no occasion when knocking is a good thing and I knew that trying to explain it to the dealer would be to vague I did some research on this site and found people who had the same problem and had their's repaired. When I took my car in for service I told the dealer to please check the timing chain and retentioner. I am very lucky to be dealing with a dealership that has excellent customer service. They didn't even question me and when I picked up my car all of the parts relating to the timing chain had been replaced under the warranty.
There are some very good dealerships out there. I've got a good one also. They fixed mine (out of warranty). They did charge me $500 but submitted the rest, $1200 to Mini. Not bad considering I expected to have to pay for the entire amount. Did a great job and sounds sooooooo much better.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:53 PM
dorkboy
3rd Gear
+1 2010 MCS

17000kms and 2 high pressure fuel pumps, 1 low pressure pump, injectors, fuel lines, and air manifold replaced. All within 8 months of owning it. Now the timing chain and noisy high pressure injectors.

This new Mini sure is a fat juicy lemon, I miss my "minor problems" 2007 MCS.

Scott.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:17 PM
Guthrie
1st Gear
+ 1 2008

Old 01-25-2012, 08:05 PM
Guthrie
1st Gear
Does anyone know where I can get a list with dates of these service bulletins?

Old 01-25-2012, 08:06 PM
Guthrie
1st Gear
Does anyone know where I can get a list with dates of these service bulletins on timing issues??

Old 01-26-2012, 10:17 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
+ 1 2008 MCS with 23,800 miles. I officially have a new timing chain and tensioner. They measured my chain and it was 69mm, the limit is 68mm. Got the whole assembly replaced and I have to say it sounds and feels amazing. It's like someone said, you don't notice the noise because it slowly creeps up on you. My engine sounds like a brand new engine now. My dealer, Mini of Honolulu did a great job with 5 months to spare on my warranty! Also got it reprogrammed and I must say that makes the car feel different too, no more lag on the gas pedal when not in sport mode. I'm in love with my car AGAIN!

I noticed on the bottom of the parts list of everything to do with the timing chain it has "Brake Cleaner". Did anyone else see that, what's that all about? Just used to clean the components maybe?

Old 01-27-2012, 07:55 AM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Usually that falls under "shop supplies". It was most likely used to clean off parts that were going back into the motor, or parts that needed measurement, or clean off the area that was being worked on.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:19 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Benibiker
Also got it reprogrammed and I must say that makes the car feel different too, no more lag on the gas pedal
OOOOOO!!! My 08 Justa automatic has an occasional TERRIBLE lag in the gas pedal. Sometimes it is at least a full second before the car responds, drives me NUTS!!! I've asked the dealer a number of times about it.

I've not had the car updated in a couple years. Now that you say it helped I want to update my car badly!

Old 01-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Joey Mojo
3rd Gear
My '10 is developing the death rattle for the SECOND TIME! The first time, I took it to East Bay Mini to get it fixed. I'll try my luck with Steven's Creek Mini this time.

The only reason I could imagine this happening again is that I'm running the stage 1 FMIC tune, as I check the oil at least once a week.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:30 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Joey Mojo
My '10 is developing the death rattle for the SECOND TIME! The first time, I took it to East Bay Mini to get it fixed. I'll try my luck with Steven's Creek Mini this time.

The only reason I could imagine this happening again is that I'm running the stage 1 FMIC tune, as I check the oil at least once a week.
Did East Bay change out everything or just the adjusting bolt?

Old 01-27-2012, 03:34 PM
Muenchenerkindl
2nd Gear
Mark my tensioner replaced for 135 Euro about $175.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:48 PM
wloprete
1st Gear
Amazing...

...that MINI hasn't issued a recall on this issue. They did on the spontaneous combustion, but that's probably because it's a danger versus an annoyance (though my dealer has yet to contact me.)

Old 01-27-2012, 04:01 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wloprete
...that MINI hasn't issued a recall on this issue. They did on the spontaneous combustion, but that's probably because it's a danger versus an annoyance (though my dealer has yet to contact me.)
Surprises me also. I know alot of folks are not having the issue but this forum keeps filling up with those that are or did have the issue.
They should issue a recall but I doubt that will happen.

Mine was out of warranty but my dealer fixed it and only charged me $500 of the $1700 bill. They replaced everything. I couldn't complain since I was out of warranty.
Lucky I have a good dealership.
Can't believe how much better it sounds and runs.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:54 PM
Joey Mojo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by drsimmons
Did East Bay change out everything or just the adjusting bolt?
They said they did the complete swap, but I don't think the problem would have come back so quickly...

Old 01-27-2012, 08:05 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Originally Posted by strobeyprobey
OOOOOO!!! My 08 Justa automatic has an occasional TERRIBLE lag in the gas pedal. Sometimes it is at least a full second before the car responds, drives me NUTS!!! I've asked the dealer a number of times about it.

I've not had the car updated in a couple years. Now that you say it helped I want to update my car badly!
Yeah, if you've test driven one of the newer cars, they don't have that lag in the gas pedal when not in sport mode anymore. It drove me nuts too!

Old 01-27-2012, 08:11 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wloprete
I completely agree, there are people out there that aren't part of any forum and will never hear about this until their engine self destructs. When taking your car to you dealer the key word to mention is Timing Chain, their eyes will light up immediately and they know what needs to be done.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:44 AM
Muenchenerkindl
2nd Gear
Great points! Exactly, it is a cheep once of prevention, so small it would be money well spent for the public relations and marketing of a quality first, detail oriented, customer caring company. The higher cost of complete timing or engine replacement coupled with the lost trust of the buying public can, IMO only be much more expensive.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:48 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Joey Mojo
They said they did the complete swap, but I don't think the problem would have come back so quickly...
You're paperwork should show everything they replaced. If it lists guide, tensioner bolt, seals, chain, etc. then they did the entire change out. Let me know, I'm curious if it came back whether the entire thing was changed or they just did a portion of it. My mechanic said if only the bolt is changed it'd probably come back since the tensioner bolt wasn't adjusting the chain properly over the miles. That's why they change out everything. They tell me they have NOT had one come back for the same issue.

+1 2007

Last edited by drsimmons; 01-28-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:14 AM
knarf444
Neutral
+1 08
Originally Posted by gjn25
if you have had any issues with the anything to do with the timing chain tensioner that may or may not have had to be over hauled completely. Please just put a +1 and your minis year in this thread. I'm currently trying to get an idea of how many people have had work done not just think it broken but had work done to fix your issue. I'm currently speaking with a lawyer about this issue trying to see if we can get a class action against bmw for not doing something to fix this witch is an error from manufacturing!!! Please i need your help so that all of us can win this together.

Thank you

fyi i m not trying to make money off of this suet i m just trying to get all of use a fix that they should have done voluntarily by bmw or at least the same treatment the hp fuel pump extended warranty on fix do to failure.
Again thanks to all please just keep this thread a count avoid tilling of story's
just a +1 and your year

just wanted to add this is only a count you will not be part of the class action in any way for any info you give here unless you want to once everything is ready i will give out the info to contact the law office that is handling the case at that point many thanks to all who have already posted every +1 helps

and lastly (lol i keep editing this) sorry for my spelling and grammar on anything i post i have a learning disability and if spell check dose not get it i can't fix...

Old 01-28-2012, 10:28 AM
Joey Mojo
3rd Gear
You're paperwork should show everything they replaced. If it lists guide, tensioner bolt, seals, chain, etc. then they did the entire change out. Let me know, I'm curious if it came back whether the entire thing was changed or they just did a portion of it. My mechanic said if only the bolt is changed it'd probably come back since the tensioner bolt wasn't adjusting the chain properly over the miles. That's why they change out everything. They tell me they have NOT had one come back for the same issue.

+1 2007
Unfortunately I trashed that service printout in my last move, yikes. I'm still under warranty so I'm gonna try and convince SC Mini to perform the complete timing overhaul. I'll keep you posted after I get my car back.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:38 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
^^^This whole thing is very frustrating not knowing what will happen, if you can trust your dealer, etc. Mini really needs to 'man up' on this issue. I'm hoping my SA and mechanic didn't steer me wrong. I pretty much trust them since they've done nothing but good for me since I've owned my car.
What they told me makes sense. Good luck on yours as well. Keep me informed if not too much trouble.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:07 PM
OceanMini2
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All this is a bit confusing.

I defiantly notice a chain rattle when I start my car after it has been sitting for a few hours. I hear the solenoids and diesel sounds too. The second gen MINI motor is not nice purring motor at all. All new MINI S-es (at idle) sound like trucks with 400,000 miles on them. It is kind of difficult to separate the destructive sounds over the normal popping, clicking, gargling sounds. I contacted my dealer and took my Mini in just to be safe.

This is what my Mini cold start sounds like:
http://www.facebook.com/video/video....00149480111141

Old 01-28-2012, 12:46 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OceanMini2

I defiantly notice a chain rattle when I start my car after it has been sitting for a few hours. I hear the solenoids and diesel sounds too. The second gen MINI motor is not nice purring motor at all. All new MINI S-es (at idle) sound like trucks with 400,000 miles on them. It is kind of difficult to separate the destructive sounds over the normal popping, clicking, gargling sounds. I contacted my dealer and took my Mini in just to be safe.

That sound is for sure the timing chain issue. Been there. Since they replaced everything on mine in Dec. (early), my car sounds pretty quiet and definitely runs better.
Was the video/sound from your car or just an example?
You stated you took yours in. Did they determine if it was the chain issue?
The normal lifter/injector sounds are normal, loud but normal.
The chain issue is pretty much like rocks bouncing around.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:13 PM
OceanMini2
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sound is for sure the timing chain issue. Been there. Since they replaced everything on mine in Dec. (early), my car sounds pretty quiet and definitely runs better.
Was the video/sound from your car or just an example?
You stated you took yours in. Did they determine if it was the chain issue?
The normal lifter/injector sounds are normal, loud but normal.
The chain issue is pretty much like rocks bouncing around.
The video is of my 2012 Mini Cooper S with 3,000 miles on it. I made the video yesterday at 10:30 PM.

The first time I noticed the chain noise was Jan 14th. At that point we parked the car and did not start it until Jan 27 for the video. We started the car a third time Jan 28th to drive it to the dealer (this morning). Each time we started it the noise was the same (as in the video).

I checked the oil level in the car at least one time every 400 miles. The oil levels looked good up to 2700 miles. The motor oil needed topping off at 2700 miles. 300 miles later the chain noise was noticed.

My Mini is at the dealer as of this morning. No word yet on any action. So far the dealer has been great.

Picture of bits and bops (British terms) that attach to or rub on the timing chain:

Last edited by OceanMini2; 01-28-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:53 PM
BlackIce
4th Gear

Can you post that somewhere like YouTube that non-FaceBook people like myself can listen to it?

ALSO:
Does anyone know what the #7 "Adjustment unit inlet camshaft" does?

2012 with 3K - YIKES!

Quick Reply: Timing chain issues