Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Disturbing Sound When First Driving

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 08:52 PM
tripletaker
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disturbing Sound When First Driving

I have a 2007 MCS with 54K miles. I've been hearing a strange sound starting last week that's gotten worse. When I start my car, and go to 2nd gear, as my RPMs go to around 2.5K I start hearing a strange sound from the front right of the car. I'm not sure how to describe the sound. It's a sound that I've never heard before in a car. It almost sounds like something like a compressor would sound like. If my RPMs are below 2K, no sound.

Usually by fourth gear the sound goes away. Or after a few minutes the sound goes away if I keep driving. But it's been getting worse as the week went on by. And now I get it even in first gear and it lasts longer.

It seems more noticeable when it's a cold day. It seems more noticeable when I'm making a turn.

Anyone have a clue on what this could be?

Old 05-01-2011, 04:43 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Could be you need the updated timing chain tensioner bolt ( 551) or entire swap out of the tensioner parts ( About 11 parts ) depending on measured deflection. More noticible when cold.

I have heard some R56 engines which sounded like diesels when this happens.

If you can take a look up under there today, make sure the tensioner bolt has not backed out causing oil loss and noise too.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:40 AM
tripletaker
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your help.

I tried recording the sound from my phone. Here are two clips.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/280384/mini_sound1.mp3
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/280384/mini_sound2.mp3

In the first clip you can hear the sound at 4 seconds. The second clip is starting off from a stop and you can hear it whenever I accelerate.

Also, it seems to be horrible whenever I make a right turn. And it seems like temperature does not matter. It happened on a very hot day. And lastly, it takes about 2 hours or so after the engine is stopped before the sound comes back. So if I drive a hour after driving, the sound is not there. It's only when everything is cooled down.

Any other ideas? Or does this sound like the timing chain tensioner? I am not mechanically gifted so I wouldn't even know what to look for. I'll probably have to take it in. But is it dangerous to drive like this as this is my daily driver?

Thanks in advance.