Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

What should I fix first? On a budget :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 11:02 AM
ChristieY
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What should I fix first? On a budget :(

I bought my car, used, in March. It used to be a lease car, I only found out recently that you are not supposed to buy cars that were once leases because they are usually neglected. The dealer gave me some notes on the work that needed to be done; they told me it needed new tires, there was an oil pan leak and power steering hose leak and it had a failed motor mount. I had a mechanic friend look it over for me and he fixed the motor mount but couldn't find anything else wrong with the car. I then had a well-respected independent mechanic specializing in MINIs do a full inspection for me and he told me that I needed new strut mounts and front control arm bushings (he also mentioned the oil pan leak) and quoted me around $800 for that work. He said the power steering was fine.

Then the other day I was pulling into a parking spot and I heard this crinkling noise, as if I had run over a plastic water bottle. I jumped out of the car, thinking that I had hit the curb, but there was nothing. I turned the engine off and I noticed that a fan under the hood was still going. I turned the engine back on and then off again, and this time the fan shut off. It was probably 60 degrees F that day so I don't think that the engine was too hot. I have read a lot about the fan system breaking down and the cost to fix this is around $1000 I think.

I realize that the car needs some work but what should I do first, considering I'm on a tight budget? I want to repair the strut mounts and front control arm bushings but the mechanic told me that those were not urgent. I'm afraid that the fan system or power steering will go out and I realize that those are more urgent fixes. The car has about 38,000 miles on it. I'm completely new to cars and getting them fixed, all other cars I've driven have been under warranty, so I would appreciate any suggestions/insight.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:39 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Since you are on a budget, I would replace the strut mounts first. When you do replace them you might when to install the IE Fixed Camber Plates instead of the stock mounts because the Fixed Camber Plates are stonger and only a more expensive $180 verse $174). Here is a link:
http://www.waymotorworks.com/ireland...e-r50-r53.html
The lower front control arm bushings are expensive to replace because of the labor to replace them (the bushings are not too expensive). I would tend to wait to replace them unless really bad (shouldn't be too bad at 38000 miles) but they are a known wearout item on the MCS.
The oil pan gasket leak is another expensive repair because of the labor. I would again wait to repair until the leak is bad. Just check your oil level and keep it topped off.
It is not unusual for the fan to run after the car is turned off so that might not be a problem. I would keep an eye/ear on that to make sure it is not a problem.
If the Mini Mech said the power steering is good, I would not worry about it. Make sure you do not have paper or something stuck in the power steering fan. There is a plastic grill that protects the fan but make sure noting is stuck in there.

If the $800 quote was to fix the strut mounts, control arm bushing, and oil pan leak that is a good price.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:49 PM
Cenobia
1st Gear
I had the same issue with my fan (behind the radiator). It seems to either be on or off. I drove the car for about 20 minutes then parked it and revved the engine to various degrees, trying to get an exhaust rattle to replicate to find a problem, when the fan kicked in for a minute or less.

Later I turned the car off after idling for a bit, just as the fan kicked in and it continued to run. My AC was off (the sound reminded me of how some cars sound when idling with AC on). It happened at around the same temperature.

I was also worried about it because I had read someone heard a fan noise before leaving and coming back to their car on fire (I think that was power steering though)... I turned the car back on, and the fan turned off after what seemed to be the same amount of time.

Does anyone know if this is normal operation, or is it something that needs fixing? I assume it happens because the radiator and intercooler need to get air while the car is not in motion.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:12 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
the MINI has an electric fan controlled by a thermostat unlike cars of old where the fan was attached to the flywheel and spun anytime the motor was running and didn't spin when the motor off.

in a car with a fan like the MINI it is not unusual for the fan to run for a couple of minutes after you shut the motor off. I've had cars do this for nearly 30 years. The fan may come on a minute after you shut off the car ... because the thermostat saw the heat rise - due to other cooling stopping. All this is normal.

What's not normal:

- you may have never heard this fan on issue because it usually comes on at low speed - it is a two speed fan and low is not loud. When the fan controller begins to fail, the low speed craps out ... the car is smart enough to realize this and switches over to running the fan at high - and you can hear this as it is loud. See the many threads about fixing this issue

- the other half of the problem is that when the fan controller partially craps out it eventually defaults to a fan on high condition in order to keep the engine cool & unfortunately it no longer looks at the engine, it simply keeps the fan on until the battery dies. {was here 3 times . .. . } you either disconnect the fan from the battery or end up with a dead battery in a couple of hours.

So

fan running for a bit after you exit the car = no problem so long as it cuts off ...

IF we're only talking a minute or two = no problem ... longer hmmmmmm

IF you notice this running fan is much louder .... get suspicious.

After 5 minutes of shutting car off, fan still running .... get REAL suspicious . . .

Last edited by Capt_bj; 05-02-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:07 PM
ChristieY
2nd Gear
To fix the control arm bushings, strut mounts and oil gasket leak I was quoted just over $900 which I think is very fair. I would probably do all of these repairs at once since the mechanic isn't very close to where I live or work.

Thanks quikmni for suggesting those IE fixed camber plates, I will definitely see if the mechanic can get those for me. I know he wanted to install powerflex bushings and I have read that they last a long time, so hopefully I will not have to do these repairs again.

As for the fan, I have done a lot of reading about various fans breaking on MINIs but I never really understood it until your post Capt_bj, thanks! I tried to turn the fan off immediately after I heard that it was still running despite the engine being off so I'm not sure if there is a problem yet.

I guess I will wait a week or so and see if I have any more issues with the fan - if not then I will go ahead with the repairs the mechanic suggested and squirrel away some money to make sure I'm covered just in case something else fails :( Hopefully nothing goes wrong for the next few months!

Old 05-03-2011, 11:58 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
$900 is good for all that work.
The PowerFlex bushings can be obtained already pressed into the mount for an extra $20 ($100 vs. $80) from Way Motor Works but there is a refundable $80 core charge. It might be worth the $20 cost of the pre-pressed bushings if the mechanic can save more than $20 of labor.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:13 PM
Ministrater
3rd Gear
Don't forget about the aftermarket fan shroud. Since I put one over my p.s. fan it has not failed.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:51 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
Since the MCSa in question is a 2006 it should have a OEM installed PS fan shroud.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:01 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
If you are in the boston/worchester area, and are using the shop I think you are using....you are imo in good shape.
if it it pete, he is pretty good at triage...the art prioritizing md items to keep a car safe and relilableso you can save up a few $$.

Please don't become so worried about thongs you think it is all broken....
the car will for example have a fan than may run a bit after a hard drive...more on a hot day...normal (as long as it turns off).
Drive your car...enjoy it....and watch for changes ...especially sudden ones...basic md, checking the fluids will go a long way to saving you $$.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:06 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Also remember ....many "repairs" you read about here are upgrades that cost extra...some have hidden costs...camber plates give a handling boost, but can cause more tire wear, and may need s special shop to do an custom alighnment....a hamman...mallet, block of wood and then craven tower defenders. (STD'S) can fix/cure mushrooming for far less....

Old 05-03-2011, 06:21 PM
R53FTW
Neutral
luckily all of the issues that your car has are very common problems on mini's so there is lots of repair info. The control arm bushings are a lot of labor and can turn into a nightmare if some of the bolts are seized. But the oil pan and strut tops are not very difficult jobs. All three of these problems are things that should definitely be fixed as soon as possible.

Old 05-07-2011, 02:00 PM
ChristieY
2nd Gear
Update

So I have heard the fan again and it does turn off on its own after I leave the car, so I am feeling a little better about that.

As for the control arm bushings, is there a way to tell if they need to be replaced? I don't hear any clunking noises when I drive, but are there other signs that I should look out for? I'm going to get them replaced anyways, just curious though.

Thanks again for all of the insight!

Old 05-07-2011, 02:07 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Just trust your mechanic....control arms bushings should idealy be replaced BEFORE real symtoms of their impending faiure ocurs....with some items it is best to trust a good mechanics judgement....their wear tends to be gradual...sudden changes in steering feel is very bad too..

Old 05-07-2011, 02:15 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 210 Likes on 173 Posts
Here's an illustrative video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxjFH4k65aM
Keep in mind, however, that new oem bushings aren't that much better
than the ones in the video - the one shown is not terribly bad.
When they're really gone, they move a bit more than what you see here,
the steering will be less precise, and you may experience accelerated
tire wear from the toe changes as the control arm moves in the worn bushings.

Powerflex (polyurethane) bushings are noticeably more solid than the stock
ones, they last a lot longer, and the extra stiffness is barely noticeable in
day to day driving. When you do replace the front control arm bushings,
I highly recommend them.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:05 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by ChristieY
So I have heard the fan again and it does turn off on its own after I leave the car, so I am feeling a little better about that.

As for the control arm bushings, is there a way to tell if they need to be replaced? I don't hear any clunking noises when I drive, but are there other signs that I should look out for? I'm going to get them replaced anyways, just curious though.

Thanks again for all of the insight!
Pete has been working on my 03' Mini Cooper S since he opened Greasy's when I had some 65K miles on the odometer. It was also pre-owned and needed much attention. He worked out a gereral maintenance plan for me and I followed his instructions to the letter. I am not dissapointed either.

It now has 116K and is my daily driver all year long and runs better than brand new.

If he says it needs CAB's, it needs CAB's. He is no BS artist and is highly respected among the BMW/MINI clubs here. Second guessing him is quite frankly a waste of your time.

Maybe I will see you up there some time.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:37 PM
Neufusion
4th Gear
Control Arm Bushings are strange. I know mine are blown but somebody can drive my car and love it, not knowing anything is wrong with the car. When they are worn, they contribute to tire wear, cause the car to wander on uneven road, and will make a clanking sound if you drive over uneven pavement when the car is cold.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:56 AM
ChristieY
2nd Gear
Update!

Just got my strut mounts and control arm bushings replaced yesterday and the car feels great now Also, they checked my fan for me and told me all was fine, so now I have peace of mind on that issue. John and Pete at Greasy's garage are super nice and full of great information and advice. You cannot get a better deal anywhere else in the Boston area (trust me, I called around to a lot of places for quotes on this work). I paid less than what I thought I would have to, how many times does that happen when you go to the mechanic?!

Thanks for all of the input! I knew I was going to change the control arm bushings, I was just curious about what they actually did. I find that the ride is much more comfortable, and I feel more in control of the car, if that makes any sense, although I am sure that changing the strut mounts also contributed to this. Good news since the roads here are so beat up from the long winter and tons of snow that we had.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:07 AM
RedSkunk
6th Gear
Did you ever find that water bottle?