Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Coolant Service @ Dealer - legal questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Filmy
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Coolant Service @ Dealer - legal questions

(This is reposted from another sub-forum - sorry if I'm breaking any rules, but this sub may get me a response)

I need some suggestions/answers, please. How do I argue repair costs with the dealership?

Some quick backstory...

'06 R53 was running well and not running hot at all, even in the recent Texas 90* weather (without the low-speed fan working). Replaced the radiator fan (resistor issue) this weekend - everything went perfectly and the low-speed fan kicked on immediately when I turned on the A/C, just like it's supposed to. During the R&R procedure, of course I lost a little bit of coolant - probably no more than 8oz. The coolant was also green. Knowing that's not the right coolant, I decided to just head to the local dealer to have the entire system flushed, filled with the correct coolant and bled. $145 for the service and I waited while they did it.

Before they're done with it, SA comes out to tell me that the car's overheating while idling (in the service bay). I go and look at it (not running). I tell them that the instrument needle has never gone above the mid-mark. Tech says that the coolant is not flowing through the engine. Nothing looks like anything overflowed, but they cajole me into allowing the tech take off the front of the car to check the water pump. Scared that I needed a supercharger (because they can't replace the W/P drive gear), I've been on the phone all afternoon.

I finally called the SA back to get an update. No, (happily relieved) the W/P is fine. T-stat is fine. I would assume he'd make sure the radiator wasn't plugged before going on to more intrusive checking. They now want to keep the car overnight to continue checking tomorrow: next on his list is checking for head gasket leaks, coolant in the cylinders, blah, blah, blah... (By the way, the car had a PPI before I bought it, and the mechanic supposedly did a leak-down test to check compression, and found nothing wrong.)

Does this sound right to you guys? Am I missing something that a HG would cause coolant to NOT flow? The car never overheated on me, has run well since I bought it a few weeks ago... this whole "overheating at the dealership" sounds like complete fabricated BS to me.

I fear that they'll either make some problem happen so they can back up the tech's claims of overheating, or find nothing and try to charge me for four hours' labor on top of the approved coolant flush. Note, I did not stand there with the engine running to witness any "overheating", figuring that they're not gonna lie right to my face...?

Further, if I refuse to pay for all of this extra labor, where do I stand legally? Should I call the cops if they don't give my car back? Can I leave money for the approved coolant flush, and then drive away telling them to "sue me" for the other BS money? (I know, this isn't happening...) Do I ask to see someone's boss?

Thanks. I'm so effing frustrated right now...

Old 05-03-2011, 06:54 AM
Filmy
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Next day update:

Looks like the tech didn't find anything at all wrong. Apparently, he pulled the S/C, water pump, looked around, T-stat, looked around... nothing. Put it all back together, test drove it, let it sit and idle... all works perfectly now. So no diagnostic ($) charges from the dealership (their statements).

I'm pleased but I tend to believe that there was simply an air pocket in the water pump - which the tech should have known/assumed and dealt with before tearing into my engine, keeping the car overnight, and keeping me up all night with worry for nothing. Getting it bled correctly and professionally is the exact reason I took it to them. At the very least, I'm now confident that there's oil in the water pump gears and the S/C is in good shape.

Crisis averted.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:58 AM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Filmy
Next day update:So no diagnostic ($) charges from the dealership (their statements).

Crisis averted.
Good news.
My dealer requires a signed agreement on diagnostic charges before they will even do warranty service.
So far I have not had to pay anything, and I am out of warranty so I don't go to the dealer anymore.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:06 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
Find your Service & Warranty Information booklet

and review Customer Assistance Information section. I've found that barking at trees about the terrible service I received gets more attention if you can document that you have exhausted all the options already provided for resolving a dispute. And this does not apply only to the world of automobiles...

If you do not do this then there is really no answer to their first response being 'customer did not pursue resolution through the avenues provided in the warranty' other than stopping, backing up and doing so.

I'm not saying you'll always get resolution I'm just saying that in my experience we always required following the process, and if one tried to jump the chain - {they usually perceived this as expediting their issue} - their rights down the road could be impacted as well as the process taking longer then it would have in the first place.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:38 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MINI really can't win it seems.