Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

HELP!!! INPUT BEARING OR 25k Maintenance Plan?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 09:55 PM
swopey
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!!! INPUT BEARING OR 25k Maintenance Plan?

Ok I just bought my 2007 MCS about a month ago and it has just over 75,000 miles on it, I thought "no problem, im going to rack them up anyways"

Its been driving fine, or at least i think it has, no slipping, grinding or anything consistant noises. I even took it to the local dealer to have the oil change and 32 point inspection and they said it was in "tip top shape" and "if anything was needed we would have let you know"

I was driving home from my buddies later the same day as the oil change and about 2 miles away, well after warming up, I came to a stop sign and heard a knock knock knock sound, when the clutch is NOT engaged and NOT in gear.

I drove it back to his house and when I got there we couldn't hear the noise anymore. Drove it home,drove the next 2 days and still nothing. then today before work I noticed it again!

The sound does seem to go away when I push in the clutch but it is definatley not happening all the time. Is this the input shaft bearing? should it sound like this? can I fix it, any DIY's?

Would this be covered by an extended maintenance package? When I was there they brought it up but said it wasnt worth it since there are only 25K that it would cover. Escentially since Im paying regular price for the warrenty and am only getting half the coverage time since I already have 75K on my mini. I dont even know if I would still be able to buy this but figure instead of spending 2500 on clutch, flywheel, bearing replacement, I might as well buy the program and get an oil change and some brakes out of the deal?

Please Please let me know what you guys think I can do, or what this is before it gets too bad. And like i said I have an 07 Cooper S 6spd manual

thanks Caleb

Old 05-03-2011, 08:25 AM
swopey
2nd Gear
update

So today I called my MA and he said that i dont qualify for the extended maintenance but i could get an extended warrenty.

He said the warrenty would cover bearings, flywheel, turbo, tranny, and pretty much everything but the normal wear items like clutch, brakes, ect.

He said they can range in price from 1000-2000 depending on the deductible? Im probably going to take it in and see what they would do and/or cover.

Do you all think this would be the way to go? even though my brakes and such wont be covered?

My only alternative would be to just sell it for what I paid and spend the 2k to get a newer nicer mini with warrenty. This doesnt seem feesable as i just bought it a month ago and could probably get quite a few miles out of it before any thing really happened.

let me know what yall think....... please

Old 05-03-2011, 08:52 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
sounds like a throw out bearing, if the noise comes back in neutral but goes away when you depress the clutch you could narrow it to the Throw Out bearing. If you input shaft bearing was going bad you would hear a whine which would correlate to engine speed when you would be in gear.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:28 AM
swopey
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Bigprfed22
sounds like a throw out bearing, if the noise comes back in neutral but goes away when you depress the clutch you could narrow it to the Throw Out bearing. If you input shaft bearing was going bad you would hear a whine which would correlate to engine speed when you would be in gear.
Thanks for the reply...

I have heard and thought the same thing but I have also heard the EXACT opposite, both ive read and heard multiple times! I guess im soo confused.