Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

OEM Windshield defective (twice)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 09:01 AM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
OEM Windshield defective (twice)

I got a rock chip / crack in my windshield (2009 factory JCW, 15K miles).

Replaced under insurance by Safelite. Requested and received OEM replacement.

The first install appeared perfect, no damage to car, great customer service, etc., however, when I looked closely at windshield, there was a vertical line that ran diagonally from the top of the passenger side all the way to the bottom. The line appeared to be in the actual laminate itself, so I called Safelite and they sent another technician to look.

The technician agreed that it was a defect in the glass, and we set another appointment to replace the glass.

New guy comes out, does a great job installing the new window, but after further review I've got the exact same thing in this glass - the same exact line, as if it's the same glass. I swear I saw the old one in his truck when he left.

Does anyone else have anything like this on their windshield? I'm tempted to bring it over to the MINI dealer myself because they ought to do a warranty claim on it instead of Safelite since they provided the glass - yeah, I know that they won't do it, but it seems extremely strange that this should happen twice.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:06 PM
Kodan
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Considering all the botched repairs I have seen on people in our local club I would have to say that there is no way in hell I would use anyone but the dealer... At least you know they have the right parts to do the replacement and if the break a clip or cut trim the dealer can replace it.. I have seen some really crappy work on some windshields.

Last edited by Kodan; 05-07-2011 at 11:14 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:49 PM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like Safelite got a bad bunch of mini glass. I would just call them again and have them come out...but...I would look that new windshield over before it's installed. Come to think about it, I would tell them to look it over before they even put it in the truck. Explain they have more than one with the same problem. You are doing them (and other mini drivers) a favor by making them aware of it since it will be nothing but problems for safelite long after you are satisfied if they don't get a handle on it right away.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:57 AM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
The thing is - they bought the OEM glass from the very dealer I would have taken the car to - I saw the invoice taped to the window. And, they bought each one for my car, as I don't think they actually stock the MINI OEM glass.

The installs went great, and I've had good luck with Safelite as far as taking care of my car. I'm really OCD, so I check everything, except of course for the dreaded line in the window.

Anyway, I'm going to run it by my dealer's parts department next week, and see if they can figure out how they had two defective windshields in stock.