Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

MPG Computer read out going crazy

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 01:22 PM
Fanooch20
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MPG Computer read out going crazy

Hello All,

I just took purchase of a 2011 CooperS Convertible....and needless to say I love it! I have driven it about 400 miles since last Monday (May 2nd) when I brought it home. It has been a pleasure to drive!

I noticed something strange today on my way home. I filled the gas this am, then drove it about 50 miles, shut it down for a few hours. Afterward, started it back up, drove it about 30 miles and then I noticed while I was stopped in some traffic that the MPG readout on was all dashes. First time this has happened, since I have been watching this number go up as I have been driving the past week. I have been averaging about 30MPG and so I have been keeping my eye on it. Today once I got started again it was going in all kinds of directions...up to 99.9MPG (don't we all wish) and basically fluctuating all over the map...but always goes back down to just dashes when the car is stopped. I know its still under warranty and it will be fixed by the dealer, but I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing...or had any ideas?

Thanks, Anita

Old 05-07-2011, 02:29 PM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like an instant MPG setting - check your owners manual...

Old 05-07-2011, 03:07 PM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
I'm guessing it's 99.9 MPG when coasting and it's --- mpg when you're at an idle and not moving. Totally normal.

Old 05-07-2011, 03:14 PM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MCS Fever
Sounds like an instant MPG setting - check your owners manual...

That's exactly what it sounds like if it's "all over the map". I get 99.9mpg when coasting down a hill...Said it before and I'll say it again, This is the ONLY car I've ever owned where I had to read the owner's manual! Probably cuz I had a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee (the ANTI Mini!)

2010 HzB/Clubgirl, fairly loaded, much loved

Old 05-07-2011, 05:10 PM
MiamiGuitarMan
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lol...yeah, you're looking at the instant MPG gauge. The car has two mpg gauges - one for average mpg and one for instant mpg. The instant one will give you your mpg for that very moment. The average one will average it out.

My last car had the same type of gauge so it wasn't a surprise to me but this car had a bunch of other unique features that I had to refer to the manual several times for.

And this morning I found another one that's not in the manual. Still trying to figure that one out. I'll probably take a picture of it and post it to see if anyone else knows what it is.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:05 PM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Your MINI is full of little secrets.......

Old 05-08-2011, 04:44 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MiamiGuitarMan
lol...yeah, you're looking at the instant MPG gauge. The car has two mpg gauges - one for average mpg and one for instant mpg. The instant one will give you your mpg for that very moment. The average one will average it out.

My last car had the same type of gauge so it wasn't a surprise to me but this car had a bunch of other unique features that I had to refer to the manual several times for.

And this morning I found another one that's not in the manual. Still trying to figure that one out. I'll probably take a picture of it and post it to see if anyone else knows what it is.
WELL??!! What did you find?!? WHAT is it?!? You're killing me here!! I want to be surprised!!!!!

Old 05-08-2011, 06:07 AM
MiamiGuitarMan
4th Gear
Originally Posted by GigglesMcMini
WELL??!! What did you find?!? WHAT is it?!? You're killing me here!! I want to be surprised!!!!!

Go figure...it's not there this morning. Basically what happened is that yesterday, out of the blue, a strange icon that looks like a phone suddenly appeared on the radio display right next to the phone signal strength meter. I've had my cellphone hooked up through the car's bluetooth since before I drove it out of the dealership and that icon has never been there. Suddenly yesterday it showed up for no good reason.

This morning I went out to the car ready to take a picture of it but when I started the car the icon wasn't there. I guess I'll have to wait for it to show up on its own again.

It's obviously not a major issue, or even a minor one, it's just one of those things that is going to drive me nuts until I figure out what it is.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:15 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Go figure...it's not there this morning. Basically what happened is that yesterday, out of the blue, a strange icon that looks like a phone suddenly appeared on the radio display right next to the phone signal strength meter. I've had my cellphone hooked up through the car's bluetooth since before I drove it out of the dealership and that icon has never been there. Suddenly yesterday it showed up for no good reason.

This morning I went out to the car ready to take a picture of it but when I started the car the icon wasn't there. I guess I'll have to wait for it to show up on its own again.

It's obviously not a major issue, or even a minor one, it's just one of those things that is going to drive me nuts until I figure out what it is.
Huh, weird...read the bluetoth manual. Mine is connected too, but never noticed.. I'll pay attention next time I talk on my cell...hmmmm...mystery

Old 05-08-2011, 09:05 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Go figure...it's not there this morning. Basically what happened is that yesterday, out of the blue, a strange icon that looks like a phone suddenly appeared on the radio display right next to the phone signal strength meter.
Did it look like a phone handset? It means you missed a call.

Old 05-08-2011, 02:35 PM
Fanooch20
Neutral
Thanks for all your input! You are right, I will have to read...memorize...the owners manual! But so true, so much to see and learn. Love the secret place to hide keys, who knew?

Not only is the car a blast to drive, this site is such a wealth of information. Thanks to all of you for your experiences and for sharing your knowledge!

Anita

Old 05-08-2011, 03:24 PM
MiamiGuitarMan
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
Did it look like a phone handset? It means you missed a call.

AHA!!!

That might very well be it. I'll know for sure next time work calls me and I ignore it....as usual.

Old 05-08-2011, 03:33 PM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Thank goodness, now I can sleep tonight

Old 05-08-2011, 03:34 PM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
AHA!!!

That might very well be it. I'll know for sure next time work calls me and I ignore it....as usual.
Gee, I hope work isn't monitoring this site.....

Old 01-23-2019, 06:04 PM
Ann Harper
Neutral
me too

years later I am replying my 2010 conv just started the same thing. It has been unusually cold lately(less than zero farienheit) and all the directionals are also now firing erratically. Until 3 days ago the crazy mpg indicator and directional issue never happened, so it's got nothing to do with coasting!