Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

FAN stays on/overheating!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 08:30 PM
smlzilla
4th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
FAN stays on/overheating!!!

hey everyone.

i have a MCS w/ 91k miles. recently my fan/vacuum noise turns on while im driving and when i turn off the car... just today the temp of the engine was rising drasticlly towards the red. so i pulled over and turned off the car the fan/vacuum noise was still on.. whats going on??

thanx

Old 05-10-2011, 02:40 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
1) Check coolant level or faulty thermostat.

2) Could be you need a new radiator fan/assembly. Low ohm resistors mounted to the assembly blows so when driving around normally, the low speed fan is not coming on. High speed fan comes on last minute to cool things down ( this fan is quite loud )

Either way dont drive it until it's checked.

There's a huge thread on the fan under 'stock problems and issues" section.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:40 AM
Rowan212
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey there, i have read threw the other posts and i guess i need to read them again, because of something you said that caught my eye -

My fan is blowing at high speed - not low speed - and when i got in my car this morning (even after the car had sat for 10 plus hours) when i put the key in and turn the power on (not the car it self) the temp gauge was already tracking, normally it would just be at it's lowest point - it was almost to the first mark.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:53 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Cooling system neglect seems epidemic in gen 1 mini's....
They do have a few desgin+mantaince ssues, but first the basics...
the system uses regular bmw/mini blue fluid....a bit of a hybird...it is sold as as a euro mix...it is NOT UNIVERSAL OR GLOBAL..
IT DOES REQUIRE FLUSHING+CHANGEING EVERY FEW YEARS....
the thermostasr gasket tends to leak....as does the S reserve tank....
The radiator cores (with crimped on plastic end) are approaching the ends of their useful life on many cars....they will seap and leak around the crimps....also the the S, the cooling system is working hard, especially on a Modded car....loss of a few % of efficency will result in hot running...
the rad fan is a 2 speed fan...one motor....a resistor on it that slows it down for low speed tends to burn out...
on pre 2005 produvlction, unmodified cars, the ps fan can jam, blow a fuse, and render the radioator fan inop...
the water pump runs on a pto on the bottom of the SC....SOME CARS...have had issue with lube loss in the pto...the gears then grind up....and the water pump will pretty reapidly stop in a few days....a telltale high pitched sound or dragging chan sound is herd...
When thesystem is serviced, (or run low on fluid)the s can be hard to bleed and purge the system of air....
The high speed should only run on the car as a last ditch try by the computer to prevent overheating....it is loud, and noticable....
Just thought I would add this info...not 100% applicable to this case, but useful for many folks.

Last edited by ZippyNH; 05-10-2011 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:08 AM
Rowan212
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks zippy

One last thing i didnt really mention was that my high speed fan is running all the time - it ran last night (after i turned the car off) for about 3 hours and then i killed my battery.

I heard it and thought i'll let it go because it was a hot day and i thought it was trying to cool the car down. about 3 hours after turning the car off the fan finally stopped. So i went over to the car and tried to start it and it was completely dead.

I jumped the car and let it idle for a few - turned the car off and the high speed fan just kept blowing. I had to diconnect the fan to get it to stop - then this morning before i headed off to work reconnect it, and then when i got here disconnect it so that itwouldnt kill my battery.

So i guess i need a new fan.