Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Brake failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 12:11 PM
DooBahDoo
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake failure

I was pulling out of the parking garage to go to lunch, coasting down a hill, and when I pressed the brake pedal it was hard as a rock and though I could feel the car slowing, it wouldn't stop. I pulled the emergency brake and was able to stop the car that way. It's like there is air in the brake lines, but I'm waiting on a tow truck to get it over to the local dealer.

I've searched the forums but can't find anything about this. Any of you have any experience like this? There are no warning lights on, nothing to hint that there is a problem. I drove it around the parking lot outside the garage and every third try or so the brakes are normal.

Any input appreciated. Thankfully it didn't happen 10 days ago on the dragon or on the freeway headed home.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:16 PM
JeffM
3rd Gear
If there was air in the lines, you would have a soft pedal, not a hard one. My first thought would be an ABS issue, but without any warning lights that seems unlikely. Keep us posted!

Old 05-10-2011, 12:32 PM
scottab36
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
That hard as a rock feeling comes when there is no vacuum assist.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:20 PM
pheatton
5th Gear
Yeah sounds like a possible booster issue.

Last edited by pheatton; 05-10-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:33 PM
MP1.6T
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This one is worth a report to NHTSA

for a safety issue. Just shouldn't happen. Yes, in brake booster or its associated vacuum source most likely.

Originally Posted by DooBahDoo
I was pulling out of the parking garage to go to lunch, coasting down a hill, and when I pressed the brake pedal it was hard as a rock and though I could feel the car slowing, it wouldn't stop. I pulled the emergency brake and was able to stop the car that way. It's like there is air in the brake lines, but I'm waiting on a tow truck to get it over to the local dealer.

I've searched the forums but can't find anything about this. Any of you have any experience like this? There are no warning lights on, nothing to hint that there is a problem. I drove it around the parking lot outside the garage and every third try or so the brakes are normal.

Any input appreciated. Thankfully it didn't happen 10 days ago on the dragon or on the freeway headed home.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:09 AM
DooBahDoo
6th Gear
Update...Thanks guys, you were absolutely right.

Diagnosis: At MOTD I had the DDMWorks Race Intake installed at the WMW tent. They failed to rotate the nipple coming off the front of the engine which meant that the flexible hose went straight up into the ram air box and then looped under the intake to the brake booster. After the flex hose got hot enough and soft enough it crimped, thus not allowing air to pass to the brake booster.

Dealer fix: The dealer re-installed the original hard plastic line. When I spoke to Dave at DDM he informed me that this could create a bigger problem. Because the hard plastic tube was hitting the ram air box it would eventually break that nipple and I'd lose brakes again.

Options: 1) Rotate the nipple 45 degrees to face the passenger's side of the car (Instruction page 4), purchase 3' of 7/32 flex hose, attach both ends and try my luck. 2) Remove the intake and see if I can get a return authorization and refund.

I'm leaning toward #2 since the dealer charged me $135 to diagnose & clear codes...and it was a little freaky to lose brakes, though I am so blessed that it didn't happen at the dragon, on the freeway, or in heavy traffic.

If anyone has this intake and has had it (installed properly) for a significant period of time please let me know if you've had any issues. Input and opinions appreciated.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:19 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
For anyone else that has this issue, *technically* you didn't loose your brakes, you just didn't have "power brakes" Remember that if you have a hard pedal that you have put as much weight as you can on the pedal to stop the car.

Loosing brakes is where a brake line blows and the pedal drops to the floor with no slowing down (happened last year in my 91 GMC Van).

Old 05-11-2011, 08:45 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Did you speak with the installers about this. If it is in the instructions, then it is technically not a product defect even though it is a fix for a design issue. I think the installers could step up to pay for the diagnosis and/or help you return the product. The key here is that you should not have to spend any out of pocket money on a product that is not correct and/or something is wrong that is not your fault.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:52 AM
pheatton
5th Gear
Originally Posted by slinger688
Did you speak with the installers about this. If it is in the instructions, then it is technically not a product defect even though it is a fix for a design issue. I think the installers could step up to pay for the diagnosis and/or help you return the product. The key here is that you should not have to spend any out of pocket money on a product that is not correct and/or something is wrong that is not your fault.

This^

Old 05-11-2011, 10:25 AM
DooBahDoo
6th Gear
I e-mailed the installers but haven't heard back. I think asking them to pay for the dealer's charges isn't unreasonable, nor is a return/refund. I'm leaning toward removing it and returning the car to stock. We'll se what they say...and thanks for the input.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:44 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
I agree that WMW as host for the installer and implied shop, has a responsibility to cover the full cost of this. They can decide how to work this out with their sub-contractor.

Installing a part that causes a MAJOR problem ... not to mention a major SAFETY problem ?????

Come on WMW ... step up and be a man . . .

I'm guessing that in the heat of things at the Dragon, someone (installer) failed to pay proper attention . . cuz we have not see complaint about this product b4 . . so own up, say sorry, pay the bill and acknowledge the product is OK.... let's be thankful it wasn't a suspension part or a pully . . . oh wait, brakes are at least that important are they not!

There's 25 cents up for grabs here ... on the plus side for good customer support ... or on the minus for saying not my problem dude.

(hmmmm ... how many of these were installed in the same tent ? ?)

Last edited by Capt_bj; 05-11-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:53 PM
DooBahDoo
6th Gear
Way from WMW called me this afternoon and couldn't apologize enough. He's going to reimburse the cost of repair at MINI of Nashville and he offered to have one of his guys that was helping him at MOTD that lives locally come over and make the necessary changes to both of our MINIs. Did I mention that we bought two of these and they were installed at MOTD...and both installed the same way?

Anyway, I know everyone makes mistakes and I was truly blessed that it happened the way it did, where it did, and no one was hurt. I'm out a little bit of time and money and that pales in comparison to what could have been. The main thing is that Way took ownership, apologized, and is making things right. That makes me feel a lot better about possible future mods and a lot better about WMW and DDM. They were both resonsive, concerned, and apologetic.

Thanks to all of you for your input and support.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:55 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I am glad it all worked out. Shows the quality of the company and the individuals involved.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:03 AM
SMOG
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by DooBahDoo
Way from WMW called me this afternoon and couldn't apologize enough. He's going to reimburse the cost of repair at MINI of Nashville and he offered to have one of his guys that was helping him at MOTD that lives locally come over and make the necessary changes to both of our MINIs. Did I mention that we bought two of these and they were installed at MOTD...and both installed the same way?

Anyway, I know everyone makes mistakes and I was truly blessed that it happened the way it did, where it did, and no one was hurt. I'm out a little bit of time and money and that pales in comparison to what could have been. The main thing is that Way took ownership, apologized, and is making things right. That makes me feel a lot better about possible future mods and a lot better about WMW and DDM. They were both resonsive, concerned, and apologetic.

Thanks to all of you for your input and support.
You are lucky for the reimbursement from WMW. I tried to get Way to refund my money for the Milltek exhaust system I purchased from WMW since nobody could get it to fit properly on my 2011mcs. Neither he nor Stratmosphere would would take back the muffler system.

I ended up cutting up the system and making it fit properly, like the factory system and having it welded solid and not all those ridiculous clamps (saved weight and headaches).

S.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:03 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
I called Way out on this and if it were me in the equation I could not have asked him to do more to make this right.

WAY to go dude .... you get the 25 cents. PayPal?

hanging thread .... how many of these DID you install at Fontana????

Old 05-13-2011, 05:59 PM
DooBahDoo
6th Gear
I may be old school but having the guy take responsibility, apologize, and refund the dealer expenses was all I would have asked for. Thanks again for all the input. I've got the intake all put back together per the instructions from DDMWorks and hoping I get to enjoy it (trouble free) for a long time.

Old 05-14-2011, 02:26 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ran into a similar problem when i first installed the alta cai. I forget to hook the hose back up to the nipple. was kinda freaked that my brakes were so hard to push.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:34 PM
DooBahDoo
6th Gear
I have to give serous credit to Wayland/Way Motor Works. Everyone makes mistakes but not everyone handles them in a manner that actually builds customer loyalty. When this issue came up I notified Way and DDM. They were both very responsive and concerned (as they should have been). In the end Way took responsibility and covered my dealer costs but also sent a very nice gift card for my trouble. Way to go, shout out, props or whatever your generation says when someone does the right thing and a little more.