Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

56k Miles and Looking at Thermostat #4.....HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 08:03 PM
LiseBall
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
56k Miles and Looking at Thermostat #4.....HELP!

Hello all knowing and omnipotent members of NAM,

I've been reading this site ever since I got my pre-owned '06 Mini. I bought the car with 15k miles with the standard 6 year/100,000 mile warranty (THANK GOD). The thermostat went at about 18k miles and I had it towed to the dealer where they replaced it under warranty.

I took the car in about 6 months ago for a standard oil chance, and once again they said the thermostat was bad. Once again, it was replaced under warranty.

Now it seems like the car is up to its old tricks again (fan going/staying on longer than usual), and I have a feeling the thermostat is bad again. It is a pain because the closest dealer is almost an hour from my house, and I've been using Mini roadside assistance to get them to tow it. Once it is down there, I have to bug someone to drive me down to pick me up.

But here is my concern. This car is going to be out of warranty fairly soon, and I can't afford to replace a thermostat every 15k miles. What on earth is going on with this? I can't imagine a car that is on it's 4th thermostat at 56k miles!! You guys are like Mini whisperers, do you think there is an underlying problem that they are missing?

All this being said, this car has given me more headaches then any car I have ever owner. But also? It has given me more joy than any car I have ever owned. God I love my Mini. Just wish my Mini would love me more sometimes.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:04 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LiseBall
... once again they said the thermostat was bad. Once again, it was replaced under warranty.

Now it seems like the car is up to its old tricks again (fan going/staying on longer than usual), and I have a feeling the thermostat is bad again. It is a pain because the closest dealer is almost an hour from my house, ...

But here is my concern. This car is going to be out of warranty fairly soon...You guys are like Mini whisperers, do you think there is an underlying problem that they are missing?
Someone will correct me if I am wrong but I believe any parts and labor done by the Mini dealer should be separately covered for two years regardless if the rest of the car is still covered.

That said, if the thermostat is the new one with the new gasket, and it is replaced properly, it should last without failing or even leaking.

Rich

Old 05-14-2011, 05:58 AM
Vollgas
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would suggest you look at a M7 180 degree thermostat.
If you are anywhere near hot climate these work very well.
I'm also going to go on a long shot here.
How old is the battery?
If it is an OEM original then it might be time to look at a new one.
MINI's are very tempermential when it comes to voltage and amperage.