Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

I can't believe I'm living a nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 02:59 PM
MattMatt
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know, but putting $3000 in a 6 year old car doesn't seem that uncommon - even a low mileage car. You wouldn't believe how much I put in a Jeep Grand Cherokee before getting my MINI.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:07 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm gonna have to call BS.
I mean i beat the shiznit outta my MINI. I do track days and auto-x as well as drive like a bat out of hell on twisty pot hole filled B roads and do not have all those issues. And I drive through those pot holes with complete and total disregard of any consequences and I mean utter reckless abondonment of safety and don't have as much issues.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:25 AM
SDriverDave
2nd Gear
Old 05-20-2011, 07:42 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 368 Likes on 311 Posts
Munchausen by Proxy Syndrome.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:39 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 297 Likes on 225 Posts
This thread reminds me of the Geico ad that begins "would a drill sergeant make a really bad counselor?"...

Old 05-20-2011, 03:36 PM
minirooferS
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
All that interior stuff breaking over and over again sounds like he holds frat parties in his car including the I Phelta Thi llama running loose. Bar fights every weekend will do that too. Grain of salt, folks.
That's what basically what I was going to say. There's no way the interior would hold up that poorly without the owner treating the car like absolute ****. I've had my 06 for two years now and other than annoying interior groans and rattles there is nothing wrong with it it. Not to mention I don't exactly baby it. I'm 22 and always drive it spiritedly. I've been through god knows how many flats/bent rims from potholes and other than the strut towers mushrooming (which is fixed by a strut brace) there are no problems suspension or engine wise. The car is designed to be driven aggressively

Old 05-20-2011, 07:22 PM
jerseygirl680
2nd Gear
Newbie Paralyzed With Indecision

I love reading these forums, I'm learning so much!
Most of the mechanical stuff is hard to understand, but I can usually get the gist of it.
So, I was all excited because I'm ordering a MINI Cooper S Countryman All4...with a ton of options on Monday...and then I started to read this thread and what this 'Edward Gibbs' had to say...I immediately stiffened up and got nervous.
I need this car to be reliable, and of course it's also on the bottom of the list at Consumer's Reports. I had already made up my mind about this after all my months of research and then I unexpectedly ran into this guy's comments.
Now I have this mental image of driving down the parkway in my gorgeous new car...with the doors falling off!!!
I read what some of you wrote about this guy being a troll, and I hope you're right about that.
One more thing...What I was initially attracted to was the chrome grill on the classic MINI...But, my son is making me get the 'S'...and the grill is totally different. Does anyone know if I can find a chrome grill for it after I get the car? (I'm being promised by the son that this will happen). Is anyone else disappointed in the shape or the material of the grill on the 'S' models? Maybe I should just get the non 'S'. I don't know. Any thoughts?

Old 05-20-2011, 07:25 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't let your son tell you what to buy! not sure about aftermarket grilles for the CM though, good luck!

Old 05-20-2011, 07:35 PM
leomulhollandiii
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jerseygirl680
Now I have this mental image of driving down the parkway in my gorgeous new car...with the doors falling off!!!
That is the funnest thing i have thought of all day. Cruising around town and hit a pot hole and all your doors come off.

not laughing at you bud. Just a funny image to think of. The guy who posted it was an ***! I've had mine since '08 and no doors or anything else like that has happened. If you notice that guy hasn't been on the thread since. he also only had 4-5 post. he is a poser trying to get a rise out of ppl. He probably drive a VW and wanted to start something. But for the door falling off... priceless!

Last edited by leomulhollandiii; 05-21-2011 at 12:17 AM.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:40 PM
leomulhollandiii
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by EDWARD GIBBS
Not only did the car pass all the reports, I found the first owner from a insurance card left in the glove box. I called her and talked to her, talked to the dealer. Got the records on the car from birth. it all checked out. i even had her checked out. This car is full of basic design flaws. I have been told the door problem is common and was corrected in 2008. The plastic is very low grade quality and is subject to failure in repeated hot/cold environments. I froze some already broken parts and warmed them up to find the plactic crumbling without even touching it. The hinge covers on the rear trunk door have booth broken at the connecting points, a total design failure. The ride is harsh due to the sports suspension and the run flat tires. This configuration subjects this already short wheelbase car to a steady blast of jolts which it can not sustain over time. Another major design flaw!!!
This car is full of $$$ short cuts that in the long run make it a platform for failure. A new "S" Convertable with my options tops 40 grand. Really? Never, never, never again.
Guess you got the CAR-FOX and not the CAR-FAX

Old 05-20-2011, 10:32 PM
MiamiGuitarMan
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by leomulhollandiii
That is the funnest thing i have though of all day. Cruising around town and hit a pot hole and all your doors come off.

not laughing at you bud. Just a funny image to think of. The guy who posted it was an ***! I've had mine since '08 and no doors or anything else like that has happened. If you notice that guy hasn't been on the thread since. he also only had 4-5 post. he is a poser trying to get a rise out of ppl. He probably drive a VW and wanted to start something. But for the door falling off... priceless!
not to derail the thread but I have had cars literally fall apart on me while driving them. And yes, I have had a door fall off a car. Not a Mini though, it was a datsun B210.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:37 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
That guy was full of crap.

He bought a used Mini from "Car Max" OK with that.

[quote][Not only did the car pass all the reports, I found the first owner from a insurance card left in the glove box./QUOTE]

He said he found the previous owners insurance card in the glovebox. I'm not OK with that because I'm certain that Car Max went through that car and removed anything and everything to get it spiffy and super clean.

He said he called her """BULL CRAP"""
i even had her checked out
DUH!!!!!!!

If he had the problems he said he had that car was a pieced together wreck and resold. I really don't think he spent over $3,000 because he did mention that "CAR MAX" replaced much of the car under warranty.

This guy Ed it total bull crap (My Opinion) This story is total fiction.

If BMW had that many problem with any Mini model they would just not make them anymore.

PS:::Jerseygirl, Go ahead and get your Countryman and don't worry about what this Mister Ed say's about Mini Coopers because his post is totaly in his mind. He should be writing short fiction stories.

Last edited by ronnie948; 05-21-2011 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Add : PS
Old 05-21-2011, 07:34 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
I can't believe the moderator hasn't killed this nightmare thread already. It's been fun but dead horses take on an aroma sooner than later.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:20 AM
firenewt
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
I can't believe the moderator hasn't killed this nightmare thread already. It's been fun but dead horses take on an aroma sooner than later.
Ditto...........

Kevin

Old 05-21-2011, 11:58 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Very good Idea "Fly'n Brick

Time to end this.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:15 PM
jerseygirl680
2nd Gear
Thank You!

Much thanks for all the input. I appreciate it. I'm going ahead with my plans to buy the Countryman...still not sure whether to 'S' or not to 'S' though.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:40 PM
robinj
3rd Gear
Do it! do it now!
Get the S.

primary reason: if it's in your mind you want the sport model and you don't get it, chances are down the road you will be envious when the exact same color as yours pulls along side and has the 'S' badge.

Originally Posted by jerseygirl680
That may still happen! those concrete slabs that drone you to death...

Old 05-21-2011, 01:48 PM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote=robinj;3289376]

if it's in your mind you want the sport model and you don't get it, chances are down the road you will be envious when the exact same color as yours pulls along side and has the 'S' badge

I've been next to a couple of S's and the "S" badge didn't bring any envy on.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:57 PM
leomulhollandiii
3rd Gear
Time to kill this thread folks!

Old 05-21-2011, 05:01 PM
jerseygirl680
2nd Gear
Robin...Thank you for the enthusiastic advice! My dilemma is that one of the things that drew me to the car was the chrome retro looking grill, and the 'S' has a different grill. I don't know whether to go with the one I like or to go for the extra power in the 's'.

Originally Posted by robinj
Do it! do it now!
Get the S.

primary reason: if it's in your mind you want the sport model and you don't get it, chances are down the road you will be envious when the exact same color as yours pulls along side and has the 'S' badge.

That may still happen! those concrete slabs that drone you to death...

Old 05-21-2011, 05:06 PM
jerseygirl680
2nd Gear
Kathy... Thank you for the response....My issue isn't the 'S' badge, it's just that I prefer the original with the chrome grill and don't know if I'll be missing the greater power in the 'S'.
It's not like I'm going to be on a racetrack or anything.

[quote=Kathy1946;3289384]
Originally Posted by robinj

if it's in your mind you want the sport model and you don't get it, chances are down the road you will be envious when the exact same color as yours pulls along side and has the 'S' badge

I've been next to a couple of S's and the "S" badge didn't bring any envy on.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:31 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Back up a sec. Lets keep this new direction going a bit more. Encouragement to a gonna be MINI person has got to be allowed to flourish, flailing doors or not.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:12 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Test drive each one. Then decide.

Jerseygirl,

I'm sure you will find someone to swap grill with you. I think most non-S owners would like the black grill.

First ask the dealer if you can swap out the black one for a chrome one if you decide on the "S"

Unless you are hooked on acceleration and speed like I am I would think the non-S would be fine.

Drive each one and you will know exactly what you would be happy with.

PS: when you get your Mini you can probably find a club or group in your area to meet up with and socialize. There are groups all over the country that are Mini lovers and have functions such as meeting for lunch or dinner Etc. Ours here in Florida is "Sunshine Mini" and they are pretty active. I'm sure you will find a group in Jersey. The Mini is a great car and more fun then you will ever imagine.

Last edited by ronnie948; 05-22-2011 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Add the PS:
Old 05-22-2011, 12:53 PM
jerseygirl680
2nd Gear
Thank you, Ronnie! Tomorrow is ordering day!
Unfortunately, the grill can't be swapped out because it is an entirely different shape (I asked when I first test drove the car). I test drove the 'S', but I haven't driven the regular countryman, maybe I should do that tommorow, before I sign anything. Thanks, again!

Originally Posted by ronnie948
Jerseygirl,

I'm sure you will find someone to swap grill with you. I think most non-S owners would like the black grill.

First ask the dealer if you can swap out the black one for a chrome one if you decide on the "S"

Unless you are hooked on acceleration and speed like I am I would think the non-S would be fine.

Drive each one and you will know exactly what you would be happy with.

PS: when you get your Mini you can probably find a club or group in your area to meet up with and socialize. There are groups all over the country that are Mini lovers and have functions such as meeting for lunch or dinner Etc. Ours here in Florida is "Sunshine Mini" and they are pretty active. I'm sure you will find a group in Jersey. The Mini is a great car and more fun then you will ever imagine.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:28 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
End of thread.