Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Screw down the front defroster!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011 | 01:16 PM
bayareaspecialk
|
1st Gear
Screw down the front defroster!

Just picked up a new MCS and thought I'd install some aftermarket gauges (boost etc...). While installing the brackets, I pulled a rookie move and lost one of the screws down the front defroster vent. Any ideas of how to get it extracted? I heard the screw fall to (what sounded like) the bottom of the air box behind the climate control *****. I cycled all the vents defrost/front/floor several times hoping that it would blow out or make noise, but no luck. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Old 05-21-2011 | 04:42 PM
ellinara
4th Gear
Try a hanger with a magnet attached to the end maybe that will work... best of luck

Old 05-23-2011 | 02:43 PM
bayareaspecialk
|
1st Gear
Thanks for the tip ellinara. I attempted to use a trident sized magnet on a string to get it out, but still no luck. I have figured a few things out that my help others though.

1. Use a small (strong magnet) attached to a string in a fashion that doesn't allow it to get hooked on anything when attempting to pull it back out (essentially making a fish hook).

2. Before attempting to put anything down the defroster vent Turn car on.

3. Open front defroster vent by pressing defroster button or turning ****.

4. Turn Car off. For me, this kept the defroster vent open and lessened the chance of the string getting caught in the fan (if possible).

5. Drop the string down the multiple defroster vent holes. the string will eventually go way down the vent with some jiggling.

6. You should hear the magnet bounce off of the bottom of the air box (behind the center console at the very bottom.) You actually can feel the magnet bounce off the bottom if you reach around and stick your hand under the air box.

7. Happy fishing!

...You may or may not have any luck, but this seems to get the magnet down to where I heard the screw drop. Since I didn't have any luck yet, I'm going to attempt to go fishing while driving to see if by driving it may help it to swing the magnet around a little while it's down there. As a passenger of course!

One last thing to note. While I was looking at the air box down near the floor behind the center console, I noticed that there is a drain looking portion of the box that almost looks as if it used as a drain for debris outside of the cabin through the floor. I jacked up the car to see if it's accessible, but it's covered by the reward most catalytic converter's heat shield.

Maybe I should check my tires for screws! Ha!