Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Baby's 1st check engine light :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011 | 11:45 AM
Eddyboi77
|
4th Gear
Baby's 1st check engine light :(

So, I was going to work this morning, the temperature outside was at most 65 degrees, nice day. I have about 3/4 of a mile commute to work (I KNOW I KNOW, i should be walking, but i was in a rush and needed my car for later in the day). So I park, turn the car off, and the fan is blowing really loudly. Thought that was strange given the relatively cool/comfortable temp outside, and the fact that I was only driving for approx 2 mins. Went to leave work, started the car up, weak start up compared to other times-and fan starts blowing immediately again, and the yellow check engine light doesn't go off. Crap. I've had it for 6 months and have only put 3100 miles on it, so I immediately brought it to the dealer, and am currently anxiously awaiting the diagnosis and hoping it's something stupid, simple and nothing to worry about Anyone w/ a 2011 have a similar experience?

Old 05-21-2011 | 12:14 PM
gothmdoc
4th Gear
Old 05-21-2011 | 01:30 PM
Eddyboi77
|
4th Gear
OK, thanks to Prestige MINI's speedy service dept (their new dealership is awesome), they called about 2 hours later and said everything was fixed and the car was ready to be picked up. Apparently there was a thermostat issue, which I assume was related to the fan having been on so often today. I'm glad that it was a small issue that was easy to fix in a short period of time, of course all under warranty

Old 06-04-2011 | 07:13 AM
mjgood
2nd Gear
Same thing happened to me last night on my Countryman. I have the Garmin Ecoroute that display engine data, it was saying the coolant was 419 degrees, this was about 1 minute after starting it cold. I had an error code for the engine(don't remember what it was) I reset the error code and the high temp went away but still have the check engine light.. there were 3 other errors also 1 restraint and 2 lighting... I cleared all errors and did an ECU reset, but the check engine is still there... I have an appointment with the dealer to see what is going on...

Old 06-04-2011 | 08:37 AM
mjgood
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mjgood
Same thing happened to me last night on my Countryman. I have the Garmin Ecoroute that display engine data, it was saying the coolant was 419 degrees, this was about 1 minute after starting it cold. I had an error code for the engine(don't remember what it was) I reset the error code and the high temp went away but still have the check engine light.. there were 3 other errors also 1 restraint and 2 lighting... I cleared all errors and did an ECU reset, but the check engine is still there... I have an appointment with the dealer to see what is going on...
Check light cleared by itself, still going to the dealer... I'm not very hopeful they will find anything... I had an oil pressure problem the first week I had the car, which cleared by itself and the dealer couldn't find anything wrong... I think this car may have some electrical gremlins...

Old 06-04-2011 | 10:11 AM
Eddyboi77
|
4th Gear
yeah, just goes to show what high maintenance cars they can be sometimes. The same thing happened to my step sisters '11 cooper around the same mileage as it happened to mine, she took it to the dealer, they reported thermostat issues and fixed it. Hopefully that'll be the first and last "bug" i experience with it, although mine is a lease, so although it's my problem, it's theirs also

Old 06-05-2011 | 06:39 AM
Oliversup
Neutral
Hello All,

Brand new '11 MINI S hardtop, at 150 miles yellow engine warning light.
Brought it to dealer they scanned it and found fault for evap.micro leak, they said don't worry and they scheduled me for an appt. A week from tomorrow.

After an 80 mile trip yesterday the fan stayed on for about 2 minutes after shut down. Before the scan they asked if the fan stayed on after shut down if it did it was probably a thermostat problem.

We shall see

Old 06-05-2011 | 11:57 AM
Eddyboi77
|
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Oliversup
Hello All,

Brand new '11 MINI S hardtop, at 150 miles yellow engine warning light.
Brought it to dealer they scanned it and found fault for evap.micro leak, they said don't worry and they scheduled me for an appt. A week from tomorrow.

After an 80 mile trip yesterday the fan stayed on for about 2 minutes after shut down. Before the scan they asked if the fan stayed on after shut down if it did it was probably a thermostat problem.

We shall see

Exactly what happened w/ mine, the fan was going crazy, with the car on and with it off lol.

Old 06-05-2011 | 06:46 PM
009Mini
3rd Gear
My fan stays on for a couple of minutes lots of times. Sometimes, it will come on a couple of minutes after shutdown and run for a few minutes. Dealer tells me it is normal. Didn't do that for the first 6 months, but it is "normal".

Old 06-16-2011 | 10:59 PM
MINI11
3rd Gear
Looks like this is exactly what mine started doing today. Thanks for the heads-up, now I know what to expect...