Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Hatch panel (not boot) full of water after hard rain!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 05:38 AM
toxictv
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hatch panel (not boot) full of water after hard rain!

Howdy folks! 2004 MCS.

Any time I open the hatch after a hard rain, if I let it open more than half-way water runs out from the edges of the inside panel of the boot (the one with the big round hump in the center) and all over the boot! There's a little moisture in the battery area, but the carpet is never soaked until I open the hatch and leave it open.

Also, it seems there is a bunch of dirt/dust behind that panel, as it always runs out and fills up the seals surrounding the hatch.

What seals do I need to look at? I'm leaning toward the seal on the outer part that sits between the bottom of the glass and the body panel, just above the handle. I've noticed some people mention the actual handle, and the third break light. I'd like to get a decent list then do everything preventative I can for them all at once.

Thanks guys =D

Old 05-26-2011, 06:26 AM
Vollgas
6th Gear
The 3rd brake light seal is probally the one leaking.
They have a tendency to do that.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:32 AM
toxictv
2nd Gear
I'll check it out. Any trick to getting it loose?

Old 05-26-2011, 07:14 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Yes the 3rd brake light commonly has the seal leak, or gets cracks in the lens that leak. If it isn't leaking I have seen the seal on the grip strip where the hatch button and license plate lights are leak.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 05-26-2011, 07:24 PM
toxictv
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Yes the 3rd brake light commonly has the seal leak, or gets cracks in the lens that leak. If it isn't leaking I have seen the seal on the grip strip where the hatch button and license plate lights are leak.
...hmm. BRB, going out to my driveway.

...back. Well, no apparent cracks. But, someone did install the big boot spoiler at one point, and it has big gouges on either side like they backed in to something low (*******es.) So it's possible that's leaking, as well.

What's involved in taking off that boot panel to get to the spoiler and 3rd brake light?

BTW, this is Daniel Champion, the fellow with the broken back in Arkansas that has your lower control arm bushing cores