Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

New Creaking Sound From Rear

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 07:46 PM
Filmy
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
New Creaking Sound From Rear

'06 R53

When leaving my residence, after the car is parked in the garage overnight and only on forward movement, there is a distinct, brief creak/groan coming from the rear end. Only happens when the car hasn't moved overnight (i.e. cold), and only for the first few forward moves. After that, no creak.

I don't think it has anything to do with the e-brake shoes letting go, but I'm wondering if this is an early sign of wheel bearing failure, or if I should get in there and grease something.

Thoughts?

Old 05-31-2011, 09:45 PM
robinj
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd guess the e-brake, although I was taught to park it in gear so the brakes don't seize or freeze (mostly in the winter) but that's another discussion. it does sound like a brake noise though.

wheel bearing makes a noise going down the road that gets louder with speed and changes as you steer slightly up and down toward the crowned median.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:51 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Could be the e-brake...
Could even be a bushing, such as the ones on the swaybar initally binding acbit from sitting, the moving once the weight shifts and you start moving...I don' t think it is anything to worry about (as long as it it just a creak sound, not a loud bang or grind).

Old 06-01-2011, 08:59 AM
Filmy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Could be the e-brake...
Could even be a bushing, such as the ones on the swaybar initally binding acbit from sitting, the moving once the weight shifts and you start moving...I don' t think it is anything to worry about (as long as it it just a creak sound, not a loud bang or grind).
Sway bar - didn't think of that. The groan is short, but I don't know if a shifting bushing would do it.

I'll try parking it without the e-brake on (in gear) to test that theory. Thanks all.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:00 AM
LolaDriver
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have something very similar. When I turn the car for the first time, usually backing out of the driveway, I get a couple of creaks/pops from what sounds like the left rear. It actually sounded like the seat belt buckel was banging on the plastic wall panel (but it doesn't).

It also happens irrespective of e-brake use. I haven't took an in-depth look, but nothing is glaringly obvious. If anyone can pinpoint the problem I would appreciate some direction.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:17 AM
Filmy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by LolaDriver
I have something very similar. When I turn the car for the first time, usually backing out of the driveway, I get a couple of creaks/pops from what sounds like the left rear. It actually sounded like the seat belt buckel was banging on the plastic wall panel (but it doesn't).

It also happens irrespective of e-brake use. I haven't took an in-depth look, but nothing is glaringly obvious. If anyone can pinpoint the problem I would appreciate some direction.
That sounds a little more like a CV joint (front axle joint) is going out. If it gets crunchy, that's what it is.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:14 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Filmy
Sway bar - didn't think of that. The groan is short, but I don't know if a shifting bushing....
Lol....
not the bushings on the shifter....but when the weight shifts (on any one of a number of bushings ((they act as a movement point on two moving surface, like cartlage in a joint)) it groaned a bit...
just saw the quote...sorry for the late clarification.