Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Deceleration Rattle Emanating from Dash

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 09:06 AM
biggripper
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Deceleration Rattle Emanating from Dash

I know there are plenty of dash rattle threads out there. Believe me I've looked. I do believe my 2011 is exhibiting a type of rattle that has not yet been documented on NAM.

Characteristics of the rattle:
- ONLY appears on deceleration
- Usually manifests when speedo needle has dropped below 20mpH
- Rattle seems to be emanating from the vicinity of the speedo/nav screen
- The sound almost sounds like it could be a low volume plastic grinding vs a rattle. The sound is low enough in volume that I usually can't hear it if the stereo is on even on a low volume level.

Theories:
- based on when the sound manifests itself and also based on the characteristics of the sound my theory is that it is a sound caused by the motor/gear that shuttles the speedo needle around the nav screen. I don't know if that's possible but that is my hunch.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by biggripper; 06-07-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:00 AM
theunclesam
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too have noticed this in my 2011 MCS w/Connected. Only when decelerating, I hear a rattle around the speedo. And not all the time, either (Prob 90% of the time).

I'm going to watch the speedo next time to see if my rattle is around the speed you listed.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:33 PM
biggripper
6th Gear
I knew I wasn't crazy!

Old 06-07-2011, 09:09 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by biggripper
I know there are plenty of dash rattle threads out there. Believe me I've looked. I do believe my 2011 is exhibiting a type of rattle that has not yet been documented on NAM.

Characteristics of the rattle:
- ONLY appears on deceleration
- Usually manifests when speedo needle has dropped below 20mpH
- Rattle seems to be emanating from the vicinity of the speedo/nav screen
- The sound almost sounds like it could be a low volume plastic grinding vs a rattle. The sound is low enough in volume that I usually can't hear it if the stereo is on even on a low volume level.

Theories:
- based on when the sound manifests itself and also based on the characteristics of the sound my theory is that it is a sound caused by the motor/gear that shuttles the speedo needle around the nav screen. I don't know if that's possible but that is my hunch.

Any thoughts?
Your theory is right on the money.

I don't have this rattle, but every time I've taken my 07 in to my dealer to fix other rattles, one of the first things the technician mentions is the speed indicator in the outside ring of the nav screen making a noise on deceleration when under about 20 mph. It's a known issue according to my dealer. I don't know if there is a fix. I've had the service techs mention this 3-4 times in the last 3-4 years. Actually every time I bring mine in for a dash rattle, this is the first thing they mention.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:21 AM
biggripper
6th Gear
Thanks for the info. I thought I had a solid theory.
I may just choose to live with it. It's really not that loud and chances are good that I'd just acquire some new rattles if I had the dealer tear my dash apart.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:42 AM
theunclesam
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
Your theory is right on the money.

I don't have this rattle, but every time I've taken my 07 in to my dealer to fix other rattles, one of the first things the technician mentions is the speed indicator in the outside ring of the nav screen making a noise on deceleration when under about 20 mph. It's a known issue according to my dealer. I don't know if there is a fix. I've had the service techs mention this 3-4 times in the last 3-4 years. Actually every time I bring mine in for a dash rattle, this is the first thing they mention.
Did the tech mention if they have a fix or how it's rattling? I'd like to see mine go away

Old 06-08-2011, 01:18 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by theunclesam
Did the tech mention if they have a fix or how it's rattling? I'd like to see mine go away
He didn't say, probably since I don't have the rattle.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:31 PM
el_Zilcho
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by theunclesam
I know a few Countryman owners have been told by the dealer that it is a known issue with NO fix currently. I would assume the same applies to the r56 speedo rattle.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:44 PM
Oreod
2nd Gear
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
When you hear it reach up and press the back of the housing that contains the map lights and overhead switches...Report back.

gary