Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Moldy / musty smell from inside doors

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 07:14 AM
uconnhuskiesfans
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moldy / musty smell from inside doors

hey all, so in my R50, whenever I lower the windows, there is a moldy smell. I gave a wiff where the window lowers into the door and its clearly coming from there. I am trying to come up with an easy way to kill whatever mold is growing there. I thought about pouring bleach or a bleach water mixture followed by water but I am concerned I may do more damage from the bleach then positive effects. Any ideas / thoughts in reference to my idea or others? PS- drainage holes are not blocked

Last edited by uconnhuskiesfans; 06-10-2011 at 07:36 AM. Reason: addition
Old 06-10-2011, 08:33 AM
WeaverNH
2nd Gear
stinky windows

Somehow the inner panels of your door may have gotten wet. The drain holes would not help in that case. I would take the inner door panel off and see what is making the stink. While you have it open you can wipe down the inner part of the door. Then use as non-stinky a cleaning remedy as you can find. Bleach will linger for a while, but it will disapate just as it does in the bathroom or laundry. Best of luck.
WeaverNH

Old 06-10-2011, 09:21 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Take the panel off..wipe everything down...
Pouring bleach down the cavity is a very bad idea...( it will pool, and maynot get onto the area you have making thr srink)..it is corossive, and the residue could cause issue with the window motors and wiring...not to mention the inside of the door....
I would not hesitate to use a bleach solution to wipe down the inside....but just pouring it in is crazy...

Old 06-10-2011, 09:45 AM
uconnhuskiesfans
3rd Gear
thanks for the reply.i pulled the panels off. I honestly cant say that anything specifically was smelling moldy aside from maybe, and just maybe, the top window rubber/felt trim where it enters the door. I sprayed that anyways and the inside of the panel and door and washed/dried it down. drainage holes were fine. nothing noticeable that would have me concerned (no rust either). maybe instead of it actually coming from the doors, that by opening the windows I am allowing more air to circulate through the vent system and its coming thru there? if so, yes, I have recently changed my air cabin filter and the a/c drain tube is working....so, all that said..........help?

Last edited by uconnhuskiesfans; 06-10-2011 at 11:27 AM. Reason: additional info