Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

valve cover need help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 11:21 PM
jmoser
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
valve cover need help!

my valve cover is off for a new gasket

1--plug seals: how do I get them off? they are stiff and really stuck on.
I have the new ones, but can't get the old ones off! Hints?
I think the metal opening they fit over is thin so I'm worried about prying too hard (cause I think I may have already tweaked one edge)

2--also, I found some grunge under the valve cover...its on the #3 (don't know what these are called) the other 3 are very clean and slick. The oil looks really clean
I,m assuming I do NOT try to clean this, right? Its scary to me with the cover off since I know nothing about the stuff I am looking at and I'm worried that I can really screw things up in there. I don't know how dangerous it would be to have something loose (like if I tried to clean off that gunk) in that area, but I"m guessing it would be bad???

at the bottom of the long tubes are the ?valves? and looks like there might be some kind of moisture down there, is that normal?

please advise, i just want to get that cover back on!

Old 06-13-2011, 01:01 PM
jmoser
4th Gear
Anybody? I tried a search on the plug gaskets but didn't find a tip
thanks

Old 06-13-2011, 01:10 PM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I never replaced the plug gaskets, mine looked good, so screw it. You can clean any grunge you want off the cover, just make sure it is clean and dry when you put it back.

Long tube holes have spark plugs at the bottom. They shouldn't be wet, but I can see it happening. Dry it out then check back in a few weeks to make sure it is still dry. You can blast them with compressed air after the cover is back on.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:18 PM
jmoser
4th Gear
yeah, silly me on the sparkplugs, I have changed them before and i am installing SPARKPLUG GASKETS...sheesh...

anybody else on removing the plug gaskets? I"ll look at them again today maybe they will be easier...

Old 06-13-2011, 09:45 PM
jtkl
Neutral
I’ve removed the plug seals by using a seal puller http://www.harborfreight.com/seal-puller-35556.html and a small block of wood (2” x 2” x 1”). With the valve cover upside down, place the block of wood right next to the seal tube, the block will be used as a leverage point for the pick to avoid damaging the synthetic valve cover. Place the long pointy end of the pick inside the plug seal – be careful not to gouge the seal tube – and pry up. You may need to also pry up from the opposite side if the seal doesn’t come up in one shot. Lightly coat the new seals with motor oil and it can easily be pressed in by hand.