Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Help! MCS Oil Consumption progressively getting worse

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 09:06 PM
djbrown
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
Hi Dave,

Sounds to me like the SA did not take the time to explain thoroughly the issues with the timing chain tensioner bolts.

In many cases, the tensioner bolt replaced was backed out some, LOSING oil not necessarily "consuming" it. My guess is that you were seeping oil there which would explain the purported consumption.

Get an oil catch can, and a new PCV valve so you don't start blowing seals, O-rings and gaskets and motor on . ( You won't find changing the PCV valves every 25-30K miles in any MINI maintenance plan which is why the earlier models were such damn OIL LEAKERS.....)

Gray Raven,
Can you let me know what the advantage of the catch can and new PCV valve is? Also recommended brands will be great. Excuse my ignorance on this.

Dave

Old 06-25-2011, 10:17 PM
djbrown
1st Gear
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the great advice. Following is an update on my original issue.

When I took the 07 MCS in on Sat 6/18 I discussed the following issues with the SA:
- I had added 4 quarts of oil over the previous 4000 miles and I was about 1/4 of a quart from adding the next one.
- The car was missing when idling cold and when under load (accelerating). The miss did seem to go away after the car was driven 20 - 30 miles.
- It had exhibited the dreaded cold start rattle since new but had not been reproduced at the dealer so it was not fixed yet.

The SA read the key and recommended the following maintenance be performed:
- Change the brake fluid
- Oil change (it had been only 4000 miles and 9 months since the last low mile change, i am an idiot for agreeing to pay for this)
- Change the Micro Filter (what exactly is a micro filter?)
- 2 $45.00 maintenance checks (1 with scope, 1 without)

In addition the following procedures were performed under warranty:
- Replaced timing chain tensioner (tensioner only, not the entire assembly)
- Replaced #1 coil, there were faults logged in the computer or the key indicating the missing, I never saw a light that indicated a problem. (The car did not miss on the way home, very happy about that)
- The dealer kept the car for 1 week and put 300 miles on it. The SA indicated that it used 2 ounces of oil over the 300 miles (this comes out to 1 quart for every 4800 miles, I will take that if I can get it)

I cannot explain the difference in oil consumption between what i experienced and what the dealer experienced unless there was a problem with the old tensioner leaking oil. I have no reason to doubt the dealer on their oil consumption numbers, they have treated me respectfully, with the exception of the recommended 4000 mile oil change (that was unnecessary). My hope is that the oil consumption problem is fixed but I will monitor it closely. I will be sending Mini USA a letter detailing my experience on this issue just to keep the communication going and keep them aware of the problem so that it will be fixed under warranty if it continues.

The following anecdote probably means nothing but you guys may get a laugh out of it. When the SA called yesterday to let me know the car was ready he indicated the car had used 1 "pint" of oil over the 300 miles, which they said was normal. They thought that there are 4 pints in a quart. There are in fact 2 pints in a quart, which would indicate 1 quart per every 600 miles. When I called the dealer back the SA said he had been given the wrong info and that the car had used 2 ounces . People make mistakes so I am giving them the benefit of the doubt but I will keep a close eye on this.

Dave

Old 06-26-2011, 04:28 AM
grgramps
4th Gear
With the dipsticks that MINI uses I find it hard to believe that anyone could measure 2 oz of oil loss. That's 1/16 of a quart!

Nevertheless, I hope they have resolved your problem.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:46 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Been driving and working on cars for more than 35 years so I am curious as to what MINI equipment and what MINI tech bulletin/method was used to calculate the most recently purported oil loss.........

Your assumptions to pay close attention to this matter is dead on.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:49 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by djbrown
Gray Raven,
Can you let me know what the advantage of the catch can and new PCV valve is? Also recommended brands will be great. Excuse my ignorance on this.

Dave
Both ALTA and M7 sell the OCC's. I think one of those mfg's recently modified their design for easier cleaning/draining, but I don't remember which one....

PCV valves are available from your MINI dealer. Don't think they can be purchased aftermarket.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:34 PM
kathlett
Neutral
Originally Posted by markjenn
If you can document oil consumption of a qt in 700 miles, this is well above spec and you shouldn't have any issue getting warranty to cover necessary repairs to fix. Escalate to a zone rep if the dealer pushes back.

- Mark
How do I find "zone reps"? I'm facing an engine replacement on a 2007 due to "low oil" and had the 'quart every 700 miles' problem......
Thanks.
Kathy

Old 04-23-2012, 10:39 PM
markjenn
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kathlett
How do I find "zone reps"? I'm facing an engine replacement on a 2007 due to "low oil" and had the 'quart every 700 miles' problem......
Thanks.
Kathy
The standard process is to escalate through your dealer, although you can call the 800 number in the OM and tell them you don't feel the dealer is addressing your concerns.

BTW, you can try, but if you ran the car low on oil and it suffered engine damage, you probably are not going to get any satisfaction with the argument that the excessive oil consumption caused the damage. Even if car is using excessive oil, you're still responsible for checking the oil and making sure you keep enough oil in it.

- Mark

Old 04-24-2012, 07:13 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by markjenn
The standard process is to escalate through your dealer, although you can call the 800 number in the OM and tell them you don't feel the dealer is addressing your concerns.

BTW, you can try, but if you ran the car low on oil and it suffered engine damage, you probably are not going to get any satisfaction with the argument that the excessive oil consumption caused the damage. Even if car is using excessive oil, you're still responsible for checking the oil and making sure you keep enough oil in it.

- Mark
Not to mention a 2007 is no longer under the 4yr / 50K warranty.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:22 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
valve cover replacement might be the answer?

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-and-more.html