Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Brake light + side turn signal light problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 12:51 AM
tonester
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake light + side turn signal light problem

I noticed today the passenger side brake light on my 04 MCS would not turn off even after the keys were out of the ignition. In addition, the right side turn signal light was flashing really quickly as well. I've been reading up on a few threads about other NAM members having similar problem with their brake lights in the past and it seems like it was due to a failing/failed BCM.

I was trying to diagnose my problem today and hoping a failed BCM was not in my future. But it seems highly likely now. I, too, had the brake light mod on my MCS. I haven't had any problems up until recently. A few weeks ago, the driver side rear fog light went out. I went out and purchased a replacement bulb but it would not turn on even when the brake pedal was depressed. Other than that, I haven't noticed any problems with any of the lights on my MINI. Until today, when I noticed the above mentioned issue. I immediately removed the paperclips that were bridging the brake and fog lights together from the harness but the passenger side brake light still stayed on. I tried resetting the ECU, but no luck. Also tried switching the light panels but only the passenger side brake light still stayed on. As for the passenger side turn signal light, I pulled the harness out and sprayed it with some electrical connector cleaner but it is still flashing really quickly.

I'm out of ideas now. Does anyone here know how to test a BCM to see if it is indeed failing? Or can someone shed some "light" on my problem. If it is indeed a BCM issue, anyone know what is the current cost for a replacement? For now I just pulled the brake light bulb out of the passenger side panel so it won't drain the battery overnight and drive with just the driver side brake light and the 3rd brake light.

thanks