Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Another Mini wake up call about poor quality

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 05:04 PM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by markjenn
Pretty obvious you don't care or even pay attention for that matter, since CR is one of the few publications that is entirely subscriber supported, accepts no samples, does not allow its results to be used in advertising, and accepts no advertising. Entirely different from JDP.

- Mark

Oh Mark...what don't you understand about the statement I made? I know that is "supposed" to be the case but anybody's opinion can be bought hence the latter portion of my statement - ..."I still don't care what anybody says."

As far as your comment about me not paying attention...not sure what that is all about. Maybe it is you that is not paying attention? Ask yourself that first.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:26 PM
Eddyboi77
4th Gear
threads like this make me glad to know I leased my cooper =) I was privy to the fact that these high maintenance diva's don't age well, but I'm absolutely in love with everything about mine so far, and hope I still will be in 3 years from now to sign the lease on another one.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:15 PM
markjenn
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ///Mflossin
As far as your comment about me not paying attention...not sure what that is all about. Maybe it is you that is not paying attention? Ask yourself that first.
I made the "not paying attention" comment because CR is unique in one of the few publications that accepts no money whatsoever from advertisers, mfgs, etc., so they're unusual in that they can't be "bought out", as you put it. I think if you had known this, you'd never have lumped them in with JPD which is completely on the other side of the spectrum with a business model that depends on mfgs paying them to use their results.

The two organizations have almost nothing in common.

- Mark

Old 06-28-2011, 06:20 PM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
I am well aware that CS is supposed to be impartial and have been well aware of this for years but that still doesn't alter my stance in regards to the fact that opinions can be bought. I put no stock in any of these publications to be perfectly honest with you not that I need to provide an explanation.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:47 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I like where this thread is going

Old 06-29-2011, 01:08 AM
markjenn
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ///Mflossin
I am well aware that CS is supposed to be impartial and have been well aware of this for years but that still doesn't alter my stance in regards to the fact that opinions can be bought. I put no stock in any of these publications to be perfectly honest with you not that I need to provide an explanation.
I guess anything is possible, but CR has been going since the 1930's and it would be pretty hard for the organization, whose entire credibility is based on them not accepting payment for anything, to be having their ratings "bought" for 80 years without someone coming forward. To me, this ranks up there with NASA faking the moon landings.

BTW, I'm not saying CR is always right or that their ratings are gospel. I just don't think their ratings are being bought as you suggest. It simply doesn't make any sense.

- Mark

Old 06-29-2011, 05:37 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unfortunately, lack of advertising does not equal lack of bias. It also does not equal well designed surveys and collection of data.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:06 AM
jallen4
2nd Gear
Whether you love or hate JD Powers, they use the same methodology when rating the different manufacturers. For MINI to consistently finish at or near the bottom of the rankings is no accident. What, BMW spent all their money paying for a higher ranking for BMW and couldn't afford then to pay to have MINI ranked higher?

We can all complain about the ratings that insinuate what a terrible choice of vehicle we made by our purchase. Fact is, there is a lot of truth to the results and the problem lies more with the manufacturer's attitudes than the vehicle.

BMW consistently shoots itself in the foot when it comes to MINI issues. They had a terrible fuel pump problem they instructed the dealers to blame on poor fuel right up to the point they extended the warranty on the pump because of the high rate of failure. The fuel they blamed was that they insist you use off their accredited list or risk possible warranty rejections.

They build a direct fuel injection engine that like all the others suffers from carbon deposits on the valves. They then continue to adhere to 15,000 mile or more oil changes that directly contradicts common practice in dealing with the problem. Probably because they pay for them during the first three years of ownership.

They list several fluids in the owners manual, including oil and coolant, that can only be their own branded product. There is one obscure oil that is listed as a temporary substitute and they state that there is no coolant substitute suitable for use and recommend plain water if it is not available. So, we are supposed to believe that only a German genius is capable of selecting oil and coolant for a Mini out of all the excellent products available? Give me a break! They are the only non-German manufacturer in the world who puts these kinds of stipulations on the product.

I love my MINI and will buy another when I need to replace this one. But, that does not make me blind to the heavy handed arrogance and attempt to fill their own and their dealer's coffers with their ridiculous market management style. They have worked hard to earn their last place finish in over all reliability and deserve it.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:24 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jallen4
For MINI to consistently finish at or near the bottom of the rankings is no accident.
Based on how JDP measures things, it is inevitable if MINI continues to produce cars that are not cookie cutter Toyota knock-offs. Since it appears much of what JDP measures is variance from "normal" and not reliability or quality.

the heavy handed arrogance and attempt to fill their own and their dealer's coffers with their ridiculous market management style.
Even if true, none of that has to do with quality or reliability.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:35 AM
jallen4
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
Based on how JDP measures things, it is inevitable if MINI continues to produce cars that are not cookie cutter Toyota knock-offs. Since it appears much of what JDP measures is variance from "normal" and not reliability or quality.

Even if true, none of that has to do with quality or reliability.
I had a 42 year career managing and owning new car dealerships including at one time a BMW franchise. I had to deal with JD Power results from the time he entered the business.

Envariably, when a dealership had a bad report and I spoke with those responsible for that dealerships results, they blamed the system. They were very creative in their stories of blame and how to "Shoot the messenger". At the end of the day, when they were held accountable and their job was on the line, they normally always cured the problem even if they believed the "system" was bad.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:00 PM
steaming79
4th Gear
Originally Posted by richardsperry
He sold his Z8 because he's a moron.
wow. that's the A-Hole comment of the week.