Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

My MINI logo on the steering wheel is looking ugly!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 10:08 PM
Ladyvalea
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My MINI logo on the steering wheel is looking ugly!!

I'm not sure if this is the place for this question.. but the MINI logo in the middle of my steering wheel is all nasty looking and looks like the silver pieces or coating is coming off!! It still feels smooth to the touch! I just noticed it today!! I don't use harsh chemical to clean...and I don't honk my horn much!! and its an 09 MCS...so I don't think the LOGO should be falling apart already!! What happened.???.. and is this covered by MINI USA warranty? or can I get a replacement piece? I know its not a big deal!! but I can't stand the way it looks!

Old 06-26-2011, 06:43 AM
iamwiz82
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that definitely looks chemically induced. Wash your hands with lye by chance?

Old 06-26-2011, 09:39 AM
Ladyvalea
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by iamwiz82
that definitely looks chemically induced. Wash your hands with lye by chance?
tee-hee! I even licked it with my sensitive tongue to see if I could feel any pits or bumps!!! and I could not feel anything but smooth plastic!!
I would think even if its chemically induced...you should feel some difference!

and I use only 303 aero products..or Prima on the inside of the MINI..

Old 07-15-2012, 01:33 PM
LakemoorJoe
Neutral
Mine was like that when new

My '08 R55 steering wheel badge was similar when new; kind of crackeled from the back. I didn't bother mentioning it to the dealer after waiting 5 months for delivery, but it hasn't gotten any worse.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:46 PM
InTheClub
2nd Gear
I am dying over here. You licked your MINI. Kind of like when there's only one ice cream bar left & you lick it to claim it.

My steering wheel badge has what looks like scratches but it is smooth to the touch. I wonder if it's doing what yours is doing. Hope you get an answer.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:50 PM
robynlori
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine looks like crap, too. I asked about having it replaced under warranty, but was told that there is an airbag behind it and that would be a $2K warranty claim over an ugly logo.

but that was when my regular service adviser was out sick, maybe i will ask him if there is anything they can do about it because it really is ugly.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:04 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by robynlori
mine looks like crap, too. I asked about having it replaced under warranty, but was told that there is an airbag behind it and that would be a $2K warranty claim over an ugly logo.

but that was when my regular service adviser was out sick, maybe i will ask him if there is anything they can do about it because it really is ugly.
Mine is starting to show it's age too (4yrs.+), nothing as bad as the OPs but still noticeable to me anyway!! I wonder if it is from using the same Window Cleaning Cloth after I've washed the Windows, or the Interior Cleaning Cloth I've used that has either 50/50 Nero or 303 Aerospace Protectant??

Old 07-16-2012, 03:02 AM
hbSean
2nd Gear
Mine started to fail last year got it replaced under warranty

Old 07-16-2012, 09:24 AM
robynlori
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by hbSean
Mine started to fail last year got it replaced under warranty
were they able to just replace the logo or did they have to replace the whole steering wheel?

I almost hate to ask them for any more $$$ cosmetic stuff since they are waiting on a new passenger door panel to arrive because of a little bubble smaller than my pinkie nail.

I would have poked it with a pin and put glue in it if it wasn't under warranty and the only reason I asked my service writer about it was because I thought the techs might have a more professional way to fix it, I wasn't expecting the door panel to be replaced

Old 07-16-2012, 10:11 AM
rockridge
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Mine looks about the same on my 2007. My guess is it's coming from my use of Prima's Nero or from some accidental spillage of Leatherique when conditioning the outside leather on the wheel.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:12 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Thanks Rockridge, guess I'll start using 303 exclusively on the Interior!!

Old 07-17-2012, 01:51 AM
hbSean
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by robynlori
were they able to just replace the logo or did they have to replace the whole steering wheel?

I almost hate to ask them for any more $$$ cosmetic stuff since they are waiting on a new passenger door panel to arrive because of a little bubble smaller than my pinkie nail.

I would have poked it with a pin and put glue in it if it wasn't under warranty and the only reason I asked my service writer about it was because I thought the techs might have a more professional way to fix it, I wasn't expecting the door panel to be replaced
They replaced the airbag since they don't sell the logo. $450 for the airbag I was quoted

Old 08-09-2019, 04:42 PM
Subhajit Biswas
Neutral
Hey Mine looks the same No bumps not Air bubble but it looks the same . I thought I am the only one :-)

Old 08-17-2019, 07:56 AM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
The logo on my '09 is doing the same thing. Haven't found anything short of replacing the airbag....