Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

2010 Cooper S Speaker Buzz

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 08:53 PM
beam
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Cooper S Speaker Buzz

Greetings all, first time posting here

I've done some searching on the forums and I've found reports of a similar issue to the one I'm experiencing, but not exact.

2010 Cooper S with the Harman Kardon speakers.
I want to love these things

3 or 4 months after getting the car, I noticed that the middle speaker on the passenger side started buzzing when certain frequencies pass through it. Nothing terribly bassy, nothing terribly harsh. In fact, piano is a really good way to recreate the issue.
The buzzing goes away when you press on the speaker grill, so I know it's something in that area...

It takes a good 20 minutes of music for the buzzing to start, and it goes away if you open and close the passenger door.

Here's the kicker.
I have taken it to my dealer 5 times. Yes, 5.
They have replaced the speaker, the ring inside the housing, wrapped the whole inside with double-sided foam tape and even sprayed the inside with a plastic adhesive. Every time they work on it, the problem goes away for a few weeks..but then slowly comes back.

I admire their persistance, but I just want this solved. I'm starting to feel a little silly going back for the same issue over and over..

Anyone else have an experience like this? I'm ready to take it to a new dealer and see if some different eyes/ears can figure this one out.
Anything that I haven't talked about that I could maybe mention to them to check?

I appreciate the feedback!

Old 06-28-2011, 11:02 AM
biggripper
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I am noticing a buzzing/rattling sound emanating from that same area. The only difference for me is I only hear mine when I'm NOT playing music.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:44 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
beam,

you don't have your location listed so where are you. if you are in New England somewhere then I can help by actually seeing the car. Many dealers do nto really take into consideration all the possible parts that could be rattling.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:54 PM
beam
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by schatzy62
beam,

you don't have your location listed so where are you. if you are in New England somewhere then I can help by actually seeing the car. Many dealers do nto really take into consideration all the possible parts that could be rattling.
Appreciate the offer, but I don't live anywhere near NE :(

Anything specific you can point me at to bring up with the dealer? I think I've exhausted my options at the current one, and will try another.