Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Indicator Lamp CC Message / OBD2 Scan Tool Code

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011 | 04:34 PM
DaDr00
|
Neutral
Indicator Lamp CC Message / OBD2 Scan Tool Code

My GF's 2007 R56 Mini just got back from the bodyshop for some front driver's side repairs (hood, drivers side front fender, bumper, headlight, bumper cover, radiator support). Anyway, she's got it back now and everything looks back the way it was, but a couple days later, she got the "car on a lift" lamp and the emergency brake light.

The 1st thing she did was go to Auto Zone and get it scanned through the OBDII port, and what came back was P0073 - Ambient Air Temperature Sensor. And I looked it up and saw that the sensor is just behind the grill closer to the driver's side.

I went reading on here and found this thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ift-image.html Then we got into the check control message area and got CC Code 071 and the two images below. According to this PDF https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3211376 it's the brake pads.

So, the question is, what is correct? Or are they both correct? Granted, it's getting about time for a brake job ... but I want to make sure there's no question as to what the problem is. The body shop does all the work for the MINI/BMW dealership, so I trust their work, but could the AAT Sensor have been damaged, or re-installed incorrectly?

Attached Thumbnails Indicator Lamp CC Message / OBD2 Scan Tool Code-img_7623.jpg   Indicator Lamp CC Message / OBD2 Scan Tool Code-img_8232.jpg  

Last edited by DaDr00; 06-30-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-30-2011 | 01:31 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Okay gonna try to clear this up...the code you got from the OBD is completely unrelated to the two MAINTENANCE items you pictured.

They are both correct.

Clear the OBD code (if you did not) and it probably won't return as long as the repair was done correctly and the sensor is working. The sensor in the front bumper may only be the indicator for the outside temp and not for the engine computer (the MAF or VAF has a temp sensor as well for the incoming air). I would not worry about this unless you get a check engine light.

So the other two items you pictured indicate you are over due for changing your brake fluid (every two years) and the second is indicated the front brakes either need to be checked or replaced.

If you are out of maintenance warranty, I would physically go look at all of your brake pads to see if they look fine (hopefully you know what you are looking for) and then run the CBS reset procedure on front brakes.

If the front brake error message doesn't reset, that means the brake pad wear sensor has been used up and the brake pads need to be replaced.

Old 06-30-2011 | 02:11 PM
DaDr00
|
Neutral
Ok, thank you for the clarification between the MINI's computer and OBD scan tool.

I got a chance to look at the car last night, and the pads on the front look a bit low. We've got front pads and the sensor on order. The rears don't look too bad yet. What's your opinion on rotor replacement? She's just driving it on the street and doesn't AX it (even though I'm the regional AX Chairman :p).

A fellow MINI owner suggested to replace the rear rotors since they're pretty thin, and not to worry about the front rotors so much unless you're beating on it. She just rolled over 40k miles.

Old 06-30-2011 | 02:20 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
For rotors you are probably fine to to wait until the next set of brake pads or until they get warped. Ideally, to determine if you should replace the rotor the thickness should be measured (I believe the min thickness is specified in the manual). Rears would be the same. Being non-vented (vs the front vented design) wouldn't make a difference for longevity.