Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

2011 MCS more problems! NOW: clutch and gear shifting noisy..

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 07:10 PM
cub4bearindiana
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 MCS more problems! NOW: clutch and gear shifting noisy..

Hey peps..

So, sine I bought my car in April 2011, it has already been to dealer twice.. Now, I noticed a new sounds and problems.. I am not sure yet, if this is any serious or not.. I wouldn't be so afraid, if I had dealer "next door".. but it is over 100 miles away (one way) and it takes me entire day to take off from work, and take my car there to have it checked..

This time I noticed a noise coming from clutch area.. It happened few times so far, especially when it is hot outside and kinda humid.. today was 90F and mid humid.. Here is a video of the noise.. car was parked in garage, engine was off, I made about 30 min trip from work.. AND YES THATS MY BLUE LEDs - no comments please

CAR only has almost 4000 miles. Driven in city mostly with maybe 1500-2000 on highway so far..

Also, while U watching that.. there is a part of the clip showing how rough is my gear shifting.. I would expect little bit better from brand new car. When I took it last time to dealer.. they told me it was normal (gear shifting).. and the car did not broke in yet. You be the judge:

here is from the other day:

Old 07-09-2011, 07:41 PM
iamwiz82
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your gear shift is fine. It's a sporty car and it comes with a notchy shift pattern. I added a short shifter to make it MORE notchy.

The clutch noise doesn't sound very bad to me, it sounds like what I would expect a hydraulic system to sound like. Push the brake with the car off and you will near noise as well.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:25 AM
NintenTom
4th Gear
Looks normal to me as well (i have a 2011 MCS as well). The shifter on the MCS is naturally notchy so maybe you're not used to it from your old car or something.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:25 AM
Ords
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now you had me wondering, so I went outside and pressed the clutch peddle in, mine was quiet. I wasn't getting that "squeak" sound like you were in the first vid.

As for the shifter, that's what mine sounded like.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:03 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Can you tell where the clutch pedal noise is coming from? Some in the pedal itself or more toward the engine bay?

I had to have mine lubed at the hinge point when it started making a squeaking noise. The noise only started to manifest itself when the car got warmed up and it was hot outside.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:04 AM
cub4bearindiana
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
Can you tell where the clutch pedal noise is coming from? Some in the pedal itself or more toward the engine bay?

I had to have mine lubed at the hinge point when it started making a squeaking noise. The noise only started to manifest itself when the car got warmed up and it was hot outside.
exactly same here.. when it is hot and kinda humid outside.. and it comes from engine area..
did U have to take it to dealer or did U do it by yourself?

thanks for Your input guys.. make me feel better about my gears

Old 07-10-2011, 08:11 AM
tccox
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd

Same here. Very slight noise but only after. Car is warmed up and 85+ degreesF outside. I'm not going to worry about it.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:11 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cub4bearindiana
exactly same here.. when it is hot and kinda humid outside.. and it comes from engine area..
did U have to take it to dealer or did U do it by yourself?

thanks for Your input guys.. make me feel better about my gears
I had it done at the dealer when I had it in for a regular service. I'm not sure whether it is something that could be a DIY.

Mine was definitely coming from the pedal mechanism itself (which is why I waited to have it addressed instead of making a special trip). iirc, if the noise is coming from the engine bay, it is indicative of some spring or linkage that either needs replacement or adjustment.

In any case, based on the video you posted, I would definitely say the noise is not normal. I don't think moving the clutch in and out like that should make any sound.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:50 AM
pheatton
5th Gear
Mines going in for a clutch peddle creak/squeak among other things. 4th time to the dealer since January for stupid issues that should not happen.

Going to talk to them about getting out of it when Im there, going back to VW.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:48 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You might want to peruse this thread regarding the clutch pedal squeak.

The shifter sounds normal to me as well.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:29 PM
MNMLST
3rd Gear
I don't mean hijack this here thread. Ignore if totally unrelated, but I hope it informs topic.

I'm new to Minis and I found certain noises it made peculiar and worrisome. The sound is different from yours and it occurs when the clutch engages, but nevertheless, it involves the clutch. I posted my concern here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-engaging.html

To summarize, the members who chimed in assured me that the noise I hear when the clutch engages is "normal."

Oh, and I get that notchy sound from my shifter, too.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:52 PM
cub4bearindiana
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by pheatton
Mines going in for a clutch peddle creak/squeak among other things. 4th time to the dealer since January for stupid issues that should not happen.

Going to talk to them about getting out of it when Im there, going back to VW.
no kidding.. I cam from VW to Mini.. Used to own 2001 VW Jetta MarkIV - no problems, got bored and went with 2005.5 VW Jetta MarkV- which was a total LEMON.. took me 5 months to fight with VW and having lawyer and finally they bought it back from me.. then, after that BAD experience I went with Mazda 3 and finally back to VW Rabbit 2008 - no major problems at all.

and the only reason I got rid of my VW Rabbit.. got close to warranty expiration.. as well as I got bored with it.. and now I have 2011 Mini Cooper S and monthly trips to dealer.. OH BOY :/

Old 07-13-2011, 11:08 AM
automan21
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry to say but none of that sounds right. Especially the clutch noise. I would get it checked, dont wana be in traffic and your clutch goes out or something. Notchy is fine but thats a lil too loud for my taste.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:10 PM
NintenTom
4th Gear
My clutch actually makes that same noise when it's warm/hot outside (that squeaky noise) which is pretty much everyday here in san jose. My friend with a s2k says his clutch also does this when the weather is warm/hot outside so that put my mind at least for the moment. In any case let us know what the dealer finds out.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:25 PM
cub4bearindiana
3rd Gear
I am going just enjoy my car for now.. and see what the future will bring I simply do not want make every month app with dealer to bring my car. I'll wait till maybe like septemeber/october and see then.. As stated before, that squeaking noise from clutch is there only when VERY HOT and humid outside.. tonight got to upper 60's and there was no noise at all.. this weekend will be HOT again so we will see.. will keep You posted.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:14 PM
MRA3
Neutral
Hi guys! I am a MINI Cooper S (11/2006 r56) owner from Spain and I gonna tell you my history with the car.

It only has 20k miles and I had to replace the clutch yet. I didn't left the car to the dealer (or stealer better ) y I replaced the clutch in other garage. Well, I did not heard the noise before the clutch replacement, but I've been hearing it since the first day I replaced the first one. So, under warranty, the garage replaced my clutch again (2nd time)...And the noise still happens. So, I don't think it's about the clutch plate or similiar, I guess it comes from the pedal mechanism like someone explains here, post #2

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...dle-issue.html

The kind of noise is similar to the related videos, and occurs when is hot outside and I've been driving some minutes. It isn't sound when the car it's cold.

Thank you guys, and sorry for my English

I don´t know how easy is to change that parts...

Sorry

Last edited by MRA3; 07-20-2011 at 02:38 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:17 PM
rum4
Banned
MRA3 good to see that others posst and I believe everyone here understands what you posted. No need to be sorry for your English!

Old 07-26-2011, 01:15 PM
ianjenkins
2nd Gear
Heat expansion resulting in rubbing somewhere beyond the pedal? If it only happens on hot days that would make sense to me.

First video definitely seems to show some surprising sounds. My friends manual 2006 r56 didn't sound like that at all. As others have said, it's probably worth bringing in, just make sure it can be replicated for the 100 mile trip to be worth it.