Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

DSC/Service Engine Light and Bad Stumbling

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 07:09 PM
Tiller332
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DSC/Service Engine Light and Bad Stumbling

I have a 2003 MCS with 98000 miles. I purchased the car used in March and have put about 4-5k miles. When I first purchased the car I noticed a random stumble in the idle randomly while it was it was sitting still at stop lights and such. However about 2 months/2000 miles later I was just driving down the road and all of a sudden about a mile after leaving a restaurant the car started stumbling and bucking wildly and the service engine light and DSC light came on immediately. I attempted to drive home, having to start the car every now and then because when I press the clutch in to shift the car would just die. It got a little better the further down the road I made it. Now I know that was just me getting lucky as every time I start the car it acts more or less aggressive as far the stumbling goes. Sometimes when I go to give her gas to leave a stop it will barely accelerate for a second or two then pick back up unless I just give it enough to go well over 3k from the get-go. I have taken it to my local BMW/MINI shop and he has looked at my car with his computer and for the longest time he couldn't figure anything because my ignition switch was bad and he was unable to access any of the electronics in the car except the service engine code which was a high barometric pressure in the intake PCV code. Once he was able to access everything else in the car after replacing switch he fixed the PCV problem by replacing a hose that he said had grown too large. And his computer said that the Service engine light staying on and the DSC code were because the DSC light bulb itself was going bad and would keep coming back on until we replaced it? So he did his re-adaptations on everything and he said the car drove fine, I took it for a quick spin down the road and it drove much better. When i left to go take the car home it started acting up again. I immediately took it back and told him, he checked the Service Engine light and this time it was also a code about the post-cat O2 censor. He pondered over that for a bit look at the post-cat O2 censor values and compared them to another mini he had at his shop and a BMW he had there at the time. He said it looked like my post cat o2 censor values were too high and that my cat was probably just funked up so to go get some stp additives and some marvel mystery oil and then just drive it around over the weekend and bring it back on monday and we would see. Monday has come around and when I took it in yesterday with no signs of it driving better we just couldn't figure anything out because the computer wasn't showing anything. But one thing I did finally notice on the way there which I had assumed was weird but was never able to do a "side-by-side" comparison on was that under acceleration I could hear a heavy howl SOMETIMES but never before had I heard the howl from under the hood just totally quit mid run. It stayed quiet the whole way to his shop, there was no noticeable difference in driving before or after this sound so this may be totally unrelated. The post cat code was not on the car just the code for the dsc light. One of his mechanics and I looked at my airbox and found that it wasn't really secured to tight, someone had previously stripped out the screw holes to hold the box closed so we figure the howling noise was possibly from a bad seal on the airbox. But WTF could be the problem causing the incredibly annoying stumbling on my car. I don't want to have to pay for him to check the whole system for a different intake leak that may not be the problem. I apologize if any of my story is confusing or if this is a previously documented problem somewhere else.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:54 PM
Achilless
4th Gear
Get the code read, do it yourself or go to pepboys, autozone, etc.. they should do it for free...

If the code it P0108, i will say this is most likely the problem, but either way it sounds very familiar to this
This problem sounds similar to these threads:

http://www.mini2.com/forum/first-gen...e-how-fix.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-stuck-on.html

Goodluck

Old 07-14-2011, 04:33 PM
Tiller332
Neutral
Thank you sooo much for showing me those, you solved my problem! I'm soooo excited right now!