Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Valve cover gasket leak + odd issue...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 04:56 PM
ryangschultz
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Valve cover gasket leak + odd issue...

3 problems...
  1. I just got my 2004 MC and was checking out the engine bay. I realized there seems to be a lot of oil residue around the base of the valve cover that seems to be dripping down below the car as well. Is this just a typical valve cover gasket leak?

2. Next, there is oil residue around one of the spark plug holes, and when I took out the ignition wires, there was some oil reside in one of the holes as well. What's going on...it's above where all the oil leaks could happen right?

3. There is an awful lot of, what seems like oil, residue on the power steering reservoir...what does this mean?

Appreciate the help!! pics are in order of problem

Attached Thumbnails Valve cover gasket leak + odd issue...-photo-1.jpg   Valve cover gasket leak + odd issue...-photo-2.jpg   Valve cover gasket leak + odd issue...-photo-3.jpg  
Old 07-24-2011, 10:28 AM
Duvivr6
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power steering is a common thing all the BMW I have had throughout the years do the same....

My valve cover gasket looks exactly like yours :(, I am planning in replacing it soon!

Old 07-24-2011, 10:37 AM
ryangschultz
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Duvivr6
Power steering is a common thing all the BMW I have had throughout the years do the same....

My valve cover gasket looks exactly like yours :(, I am planning in replacing it soon!
Good to know about the power steering filler.

But turns out I don't have a leak! About a week later and I haven't lost any fluid, just cleaned it off and filled it. I just bought it so I guess the previous owner was just lazy and couldn't use a funnel! So try that first!

Old 07-24-2011, 04:42 PM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For the cover gasket, I usually just try and give the bolts a tiny twist to make up for any shrinking that the gasket has undergone. In the old days the gaskets got brittle and too much tightening would make the leak worse. Having seen the gasket it looks to me like that is not very likely to happen, but still I would just snug them down a bit.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:15 PM
ryangschultz
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by HRM
For the cover gasket, I usually just try and give the bolts a tiny twist to make up for any shrinking that the gasket has undergone. In the old days the gaskets got brittle and too much tightening would make the leak worse. Having seen the gasket it looks to me like that is not very likely to happen, but still I would just snug them down a bit.
Hmm, well I bought a new gasket for it, they're very inexpensive. But I will keep that in mind for the future, I'm sure it's due for a change anyway, I don't know if it has ever been replaced. Good tip!

Old 07-24-2011, 06:56 PM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Check the bolts too before the day of the transplant. My rear ones were so rusted a 7mm socket worked fine (well, with a hammer). Some time in the past salt water must have splashed there and they were totally shot. I ordered factory new ones for around $50, but mine were totally unusable. Just a heads up in case you have the same NE rot.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:08 PM
ryangschultz
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by HRM
Check the bolts too before the day of the transplant. My rear ones were so rusted a 7mm socket worked fine (well, with a hammer). Some time in the past salt water must have splashed there and they were totally shot. I ordered factory new ones for around $50, but mine were totally unusable. Just a heads up in case you have the same NE rot.
Thanks, fortunately this is a NC Mini so it doesn't have a spot of rust on it. I can't believe what great condition it's in compared to all these NY cars up here.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:24 PM
Duvivr6
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good to hear let me know how does that change go for ya!

Old 07-25-2011, 07:55 PM
ryangschultz
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Duvivr6
Good to hear let me know how does that change go for ya!
I will thanks!