Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Building my garage -- what tools do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 07:42 AM
ericscottf
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Building my garage -- what tools do I need?

Hi all

About to start getting elbows-deep in my mini. Going to start with an oil pan gasket replacement, PS pump leak fix, some easier stuff to start with, but I'm hoping to do more and more of my own work to the extent of my abilities and tools. I've done a bunch of electronics things on my car, but no mechanical stuff yet.

What tools should I be adding to my garage?
I've got the common stuff, a nice set of screwdrivers, wrenches, both socket, deep socket, open end wrench, allen keys, etc. I've got a multimeter and the bentley manual for my year too.
Drills, taps, a wide assortment of metric bolts and nuts, I've got all that.

I'll get an OBD reader (suggestions?)
I'll need to get some torque wrenches as well.

What else would you suggest?
Ramps or jack stands?
Any mini-specific tools I can't live without on jobs i'm likely to do?

I've never worked seriously on a car before, but I'm looking forward to getting as far into it as i can.

thanks!

Old 07-20-2011, 10:53 AM
36rodder
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would suggest a set of good jack stands (I use 3 ton) and a good hydraulic jack instead of ramps. I have both and hardly ever use the ramps. Cars as low as a MINI are hard to get on ramps and if you want to do any suspension, wheel or brake work you can't use ramps.
As for specific tools, get a MINI belt tension tool, a Oil Filter Wrench Socket for a MINI, not a standard socket, it needs to be a very shallow socket (36mm for '02-'06 or 27mm for '07-'10), and a good OBD II scanner. Don't buy a cheap one that just does the basic scanning. ODB scanners are a good investment since you will be able to use it on most other cars as well. I use an Actron unit myself and used it on numerous cars through the years.

Last edited by 36rodder; 07-20-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:41 PM
ericscottf
4th Gear
How important is the belt tension tool? I work in a machine shop with a lot of scrap parts lying around, and spending $300 on a rod seems crazy.
What features are in an expensive scanner that aren't in a cheap one? I was thinking that since i have the bentley manual, i can look up a code # from a cheap one and that's just as good as an expensive one with a fancy screen that tells me what the code means?

thanks!

edit: how high of jack stands should i get? any suggestions on brand/model?

Last edited by ericscottf; 07-20-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:37 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
go big

if you are still building ensure you have several 220/240 volt outlets

adult toys need this

then look at 60 gallon plus air compressor/tanks

and welding tools . . . I like 240V MIG myself but if u know what you are doing go TIG

and then there are lifts . . .

prob'ly more than u were looking at tho

Last edited by Capt_bj; 07-20-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:21 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 762 Likes on 622 Posts
Get a two post lift

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 07-20-2011, 07:37 PM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Get a two post lift

Old 07-20-2011, 08:32 PM
36rodder
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ericscottf
How important is the belt tension tool? I work in a machine shop with a lot of scrap parts lying around, and spending $300 on a rod seems crazy.
What features are in an expensive scanner that aren't in a cheap one? I was thinking that since i have the bentley manual, i can look up a code # from a cheap one and that's just as good as an expensive one with a fancy screen that tells me what the code means?

thanks!

edit: how high of jack stands should i get? any suggestions on brand/model?
Tensioning tool makes changing your belt very easy. You can get them off eBay for $50-$60. As for scan tool you don't need a $200-$400 unit, ones that run $100-$150 work great. They do more diagnostics than the cheap units that just pull basic codes, makes troubleshooting easier.

Also, as stated by others, if your still building install 240V oulets for welders and a 60 gal compressor. Once you have a big compressor with air tools, a sand blasting cabinet and welders you will wonder how you ever survived with out them.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:21 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
You can get away with a big pry bar instead of the tension tool - it's not an every day item.
For OBDII scanners, I got an Innova 3100a. ~$100 on sale, reads codes, resets and gives detailed parameters relative to the codes.
I use both ramps and jack stands (yes, a lift would be even better!) Ramps are good for any under engine work that doesn't require the car to be level. I used them when replacing the fan, and they were much quicker than jacking it up (esp. on my rough driveway) and gave much needed clearance. I plan to use them on to replace my soon to be renewed AC compressor.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:56 AM
Silver253
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
suggestion for your obd tool-
scangauge 2 will be able to read codes clear codes and displays 4 gauges simultaneously of the 12-14 possible.150$ great tool for the price.

good lucky

Old 09-08-2011, 08:21 AM
ericscottf
4th Gear
Can anyone provide a suggestion for jack stand model/brand?
Do they have to be specific to interface with the car's jack points, or are they generic enough as to where they all work?

edit: Been reading reviews on amazon, don't know why i didn't think to ask: what height jack stand should i be looking for? I'm not a big guy, but i like to be comfortable and will be doing as much under the car as i can...

thanks

Last edited by ericscottf; 09-08-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:20 PM
soccerbummer1104
5th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
tooltopia.com
Sunex is a good company. Id suggest 2 hydraulic shop jacks. One standard, and one ultra low profile, believe me they help. for general oil changes its hard to beat the ramps though so all in all id say

4x jack stands (i have kobalts, and they are sturdy)
2x hydraulic shop jacks
ramps
*prybars (you will need these in several places)
impact wrench (depends if you want to get some of the larger bolts off, this helps a lot)

*note- dont bother with buying really nice torque wrenches, your not building a lunar module for nasa, and they will all break in 2 years or so, whether its a $200 craftsman or a $30 one from harbor freight, doesn't matter. (ive gone through lots between my uncles 4 cars and his high-end bike shop, and the mini and my cousins GTI)

other things _> well lit garage space is critical. Lots of the bigger projects will run into the night, and let me tell you, the standard 4 fluorescent tubes on the ceiling just does not cut it.
Put more on the ceiling, and get a few drop lights

a computer for the garage is always nice. I keep my tunes on it, as well as I can use it to trouble shoot stuff on the forums, or fallow step-by-step picture tutorials if available.

Camera- to take pictures of stuff as you take it apart

Zip loc bags and a sharpie
- put all of your bolts in bags as you take them off and lable where they go. I usually do this by part)

for large project- WHITEBOARD
-its very nice to be able to make a list of parts you took off of the car, and write the torques next to them. As you put things back, put a line through that part after you have torqued it on. List electrical connections separate. This way you can say, I know i hooked that back up and torqued it on.

just some suggestions...

oh, and the lift is quite nice as well (uncle has one at his house just up the road in the mountains)

Old 09-09-2011, 06:15 AM
ericscottf
4th Gear
Those seem like good suggestions, but two questions from what you wrote:
aren't craftsman tools guaranteed for life? why not get them and replace them when they're broken?

what height jack stands should i be looking to get?