Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Car is lagging when taking off? Or "jumping". Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 06:38 PM
MC2005s
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car is lagging when taking off? Or "jumping". Any ideas?

Sometimes when taking off in first gear, the car will feel like it is "jumping" and the tires are skipping. I'd think the clutch is fine, because I don't have any other issues with it and seems to grab perfect. car only has 45k on it. It used to only do it sometimes, but now seems as if its doing it more often.

Like when sneaking home last night at 5AM trying to chug up my driveway slowly in first gear the car was shaking and jumping and I almost stalled it on the hill. Aaargh

This post (https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ff-in-1st.html) seems to have the same problem, but never really had a solution. He may have explained it better.

But also sometimes while i'm at a stop light the RMPs will run low and kinda chug for about 6-7 seconds and the car sounds like it is gonna die out, but ends up going back up to normal. Maybe these are related?

Any ideas??? Car is stock, zero mods.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:01 PM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I usually mention the same things in posts like this. Even if this is particularly complex issue that requires a master tech to solve, it is always important to start with the basics. You need to check plugs and replace if needed, the air filter, wires and in minis you need to check the coil contacts (especially #3). Even the master tech starts with these things. So, if you have not had what folks call a "tune up" recently, that is where I would start.

From there it gets more specific.

As far as the jumping when starting, that thread was all over the place. I think you may be describing bogging down, you are mentioning when it starts again, but most describe it as it slows. You have to tune the car first step in my mind.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:29 PM
MC2005s
3rd Gear
Yes, the jumping occurs when taking off...? and the bogging down happens when sitting at a stop light. weird. didn't know if they could be related. thanks for the reply

Old 07-30-2011, 12:08 PM
MC2005s
3rd Gear
Was in there buying an oil filter for the coop today and while I was there asked the mini dude what that problem could be. He said any type of skipping / jerking indicates that the clutch is on its way out. AWESOME!!!

Old 07-31-2011, 03:07 PM
serum108
Neutral
I have an automatic 2004, 100k miles on it with the same problem.
When starting the car, put into drive it even dies if I don't give it gas.
took it to the dealer and they replaced the starter and ignition?!!
I'm still having the problem. I'm not a mechanic but I believe the transmission is going.
0-10 mph and hour just gluggs along taking much too long to "take off"
15 and on is fine. it died at a red light and began smoking
I opened the hood and it looked like someone sacrificed a chicken under the hood. it turned out to be a leaky trans cooler line.
it still however gluggs. the dealer repair shop seemed to lead me to think they were used to this slow start up on the first gens and told me to get rid of it. i hope that helps

Old 08-05-2011, 04:03 PM
fleazilla
2nd Gear
Just want to add a few options to this cause mine has been doing a bit of that also,
I replaced the spark plugs,the spark plug wires and sanded off any of the rust on the coil pack (funny 3 was the worst?)
replaced wires and stuck that spark plug grease stuff from advance to hopefully seal off the the coil connections from moister?

Then I seafoamed it twice in a row (one third of the bottle at a time!)then added the last third of the can to the gas tank,it was acting I bit funny with it in the gas but I refilled with non-ethanol added gas and it seems to be a lot better at this point..

My next step is to replace the gas filter itself,and again mini says it's lifetime but! I've seen some nasty pics of gas filters even at 50,000 mph on the clock so it might also be an issue?

Old 08-05-2011, 10:34 PM
rustyeuro
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i replaced my original plugs which had an unfortunate 108K on them from the previous dumb s....owner. My jumping has gone away somewhat

Old 08-06-2011, 07:16 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Was it on a hot day...after sitting at a traffic light?
I'd attribute it in part to heat soak...
The ic get s super hot...no airflow...you punch the gas....the hot air goes into the motor...the car retards the timing to prevent detonation/ping.....the car starts to move, air flows over the ic....it starts to cool....cooling the intake charge...the timing is advanced, and you suddenly get power.
Many cars that do this in hot temps only....made worse by a pulley...usually disappears in cool/cold temps.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:22 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Tye clutch is a possibility....they tend to slip when cold, then grab when hot as the parts expand, reducing clearances, allowing it to work....
Several ways to test....many posts...
most is kinda along the lines of poping the clutch into 3rd or 4th in a parking lot, no gas...if it stalls...good grip....if it slips...the car will run...and start to move.